Why would you? That seems odd.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Usually leave them a treat on Christmas eve but forgot to this year :(
  • striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    The town sends me a quarterly bill and trash pickup is one of the line items on it. I set my town owned trash bin at the edge of the street. A truck come buy, a mechanical arm lifts and dumps it in the tuck and set’s it back down. That’s a long winded NO, I do not tip the garbage collector.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I work for a very large garbage company. I am not sure where you live but our drivers are not allowed to take $ to pick up extra garbage (if they do and get caught they are terminated) the only time they get tipped is around Christmas time. So to answer your question, yes tipping your garbage man is acceptable at Christmas, but not throughout the year, that seems odd to me.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    errollm wrote: »
    Is that a thing? I've never heard of it before.

Neither have I

its a thing. you should start tipping before they stop collecting your garbage

They collect my garbage because I pay for the service.

Yes, and union garbage men get paid VERY well!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options

Neither have I

A tip for you m'lady

hqdefault.jpg
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I pay too much already.

About 12 years ago, they refused to pick up my Yard debri and left a note saying it was too heavy. I drove it down to their Corporate office and dumped it out on their walkway in front of the door.

You're my hero <3
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I also don't tip the mailman that gives me my neighbor's mail at least once a week, or the newspaper delivery guy that rarely gets the paper on the porch.

Nor do I put money in tip jars for someone serving me food or a beverage over a counter.

Leaves me more money to tip really well to the waiters and waitresses that bust their @ss.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Is this a real thing? I've never even thought about tipping the garbage men. Maybe I'm just an *kitten*! :/
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I just tip everyone I come into contact with the standard 8% of whatever I am paying.
    I tipped the two guys at best buy $112 for ringing me out and helping load my TV into my car. (they had to split that).

I usually leave the garbage men $10 a week, on Christmas I did leave a plate of cookies on top of the can too for them.
  • CactusFlower527
    CactusFlower527 Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Heavens no.. but I don't think everyone's refuse is handled the same way. Before we beat up the original poster, realize that there *are* people that live places other than AnyTown, USA. Where I live .. Anytown USA, I pay the city for garbage collection. Garbage/refuse goes in a HUGE curbside can (Can A), I separate out my recycle into Can B. A city worker drives this big *kitten* truck down our street, it has an arm that comes out , grabs the can and dumps it into the truck. The worker just drives the truck around-up and down the street. A driver's license is all that is required. They call these guys Sanitation Engineers and they make good $$$. I get a $60 bill every month for Water/Sewer & Garbage. No I don't tip. But like others have said, there are a great many people who provide a service (that I pay for)... and I don't leave tips. Basically I tip... restaurant servers/waiters/waitresses, and salon workers (hair/nail etc). When we vacationed in Hawaii a couple of summers ago............. we tipped our tour guides.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of tipping them during the holidays. Soooo...OP? You say $25 per week from you. $100 a month. And how many homes are on a weekly route? Say an even 200 (I'm sure it's way more than that), and every person sets out the same amount as you and pays that tip. That's $20,000 a MONTH. $240,000 a YEAR. Just in tip money. And I guarantee they make well over minimum wage. What. The. *kitten*.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    tipping garbagemen isn't a thing. this is 100% a troll thread.
  • doglover485
    doglover485 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

No. Tipping workers in the service industry has ALWAYS been a "thing". Just because you're selfish and don't appreciate some of the hardest working people in society, doesn't mean other people are the same. Don't project.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

No. Tipping workers in the service industry has ALWAYS been a "thing". Just because you're selfish and don't appreciate some of the hardest working people in society, doesn't mean other people are the same. Don't project.

I feel like making sure your garbage is easily accessible and not having crap falling out all over is appreciation enough?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    like chocs at xmas time. people on our street do that. I do not.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I leave a lot of extra crap to haul away, I leave them a cold six-pack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Neither have I

not a thing where i live...if they stopped collecting my garbage they would get fired. i pay a monthly fee to Waste Management who is their employer and they are paid well. all of our garbage must be binned, then they drive up with their truck that has a big arm that picks up the bin and dumps it into the truck...nobody even gets out of the truck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

this is seriously not a thing in many places...

i've also worked in various sectors of the service industry, and not everyone in the service industry gets tipped or should be tipped. service industry workers who do not receive wages or receive wages under the prevailing should be tipped and in cases where a worker is going above and beyond the requirements of their paid duties.