Stubborn plateau!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• BanannaNut
    BanannaNut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll try that! I guess at this point it's going to be a bit of tinkering with my workouts/diet instead of just workout and drop pounds.

Boo! I like it the easy way!
  • BanannaNut
    Options
    With that little left to lose, it sounds like you need a body recomposition, not a calorie deficit. Check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

With the body recomp, you're lowering BF% while maintaining weight. You don't need to cut down your calories, but you do need to pay closer attention to the macros/micros.

That's a great link, thanks! The whole decomposition thing <--- LOL! Meant to say REcomposition thing is really interesting, didn't know about that, it's confusing! I'll read up on it, thanks again!

• danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The motto here is usually calories in-calories out. You are eating at maintenance if your weight has not changed. As a previous poster wrote, the difference between maintaining and losing can be a small amount of calories cut per day. You don't have to give up your wine if you don't want! You might find that you can have a lighter lunch or dinner or swap out a heavier calorie food for a lower one. Either way...I'd recommend you figure out your TDEE - there are many online calculators. Deduct 10%-15%. Hit that calorie goal or slightly less. Use a scale to weigh and measure everything you eat. Log diligently. You should lose weight.

Best of luck x

P.S. If it's any inspiration, I recently went from 155 to 132 at 5'4'' as well. I didn't have to do anything too crazy in terms of changing my habits, but it did require diligence.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are rare. People confuse inconsistency as a plateau. Get consistent and bet "plateau" doesn't exist. Be honest with oneself and you'll see that it has nothing to do with a plateau.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    With that little left to lose, it sounds like you need a body recomposition, not a calorie deficit. Check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

With the body recomp, you're lowering BF% while maintaining weight. You don't need to cut down your calories, but you do need to pay closer attention to the macros/micros.
    ^
    This!
    @tincanonastring, that is quite the trim you did. Is that how you broke your plateau?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I agree with the lifting, and especially the food scale!!! If you weren't using one, your calories intake wouldn't be very accurate and that could easily wipe out your deficit.

No need to give up wine, as long as it's logged accurately.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fun fact. Alcohol and losing weight don't blend well. For more reasons than calories. Like protein synthesis and fat oxidation. In before bioscience

Edit: this is a great article
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html?m=1
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Chiruadr wrote: »
    Fun fact. Alcohol and losing weight don't blend well. For more reasons than calories. Like protein synthesis and fat oxidation. In before bioscience

Yeah that is our motto around here

Broscience before bioscience
  • BanannaNut
    Options

P.S. If it's any inspiration, I recently went from 155 to 132 at 5'4'' as well. I didn't have to do anything too crazy in terms of changing my habits, but it did require diligence.

That's awesome, and that's right where I want to be!

I will have to be more diligent and I hope the food scale can help.

Here's the deal with the wine. I'm a chef. I cook and taste for a living, my boyfriend is a bartender and we both are passionate about wine and craft beer. It's part of my lifestyle. If I gave it up completely to lose weight is gain the weight back. I'm not trying to be ripped, I was 129 as a senior in high school and comfortable, I just want to get back there.

I think the key for me with the wine is cutting back and logging consistently and accurately. Sorry science, I like to drink :/
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just suffered through a 2 week stall and water retention. What worked was metamucil for extra fiber, and turmeric and ginger capsules as internal anti inflammatories. It took 3 - 4 days but then 4 pounds dropped off in 2 days.
  • martelr
    martelr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can try cutting down to 1/2 a glass, but get better wine. Love wine too. This way Incan enjoy it bUt 50% less Cals. Also def agree about being diligent . Good
    Luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    BanannaNut wrote: »
    I'm 5'4 and 145 lbs so I'm fit, but definitely squishy, I feel like I could stay where I am, but I'm honestly just interested in seeing how far I can take my body in getting fit. Mainly toning and tightening seems to be my issue. The other thing you actually touched on Leanne is with the whole wine thing... I could give it up, but I like it, so I feel I would gain the weight right back. I probably have an odd diet imbalance I'm not aware off...
    lorrpb wrote: »
    100 calories per day = 10 pounds per year. That's about 1 glass of wine per day. I'm not saying you have to reduce your wine, but since you asked, it's an obvious way to reduce calories that provide no nutrition.

Man putting it like that makes me feel a bit different about cutting back...

I'm 5'4" and 145 was my first very difficult hump. I was just eating way too close to maintenance by not weighing my lunch and packing it every day. I looked really honestly at my logging and started noticing little things I was off on, learned I may have been eating a bit too much on the weekend and wiping out my deficit. I was logging not quite enough calories for my drinks as well...so keep your wine, but measure and log how many ounces you are having.