Gym Etiquette..what to do, if anything, when a sick person works out beside you..

Options
More times than I care to recall, when I go to Planet Fitness, someone hacking and coughing all over the place (and never covering their mouth, no less) has to pop on the treadmill beside me..,? There must be 40-50 treadmills in that place and I ALWAYS get stuck with some sick person beside me..Even if I go late at night like 11:00pm and all the treadmills are open, I get someone hacking on the treadmill beside me...ugghhh...:/ Or if I am on an elliptical, someone sick will jump on a treadmill or bicycle behind me..WHY...????? :neutral:

With cold and flu season in full swing, it makes me cringe, all the more. I have thnought about jumping off the treadmill and moving to another one, but would that be rude..? Yeah, I know it is kind of rude of them to hack all over the place, but..at the same time people are so overly sensitive....Plus I hate "losing" my info, like calories burned, distance, etc..and starting over on another machine... :neutral:

Am I being a big baby..? I guess maybe because I had an illness years ago that made me more susceptible to things, I am a little overly paranoid..

I guess it is maybe one of those things either put up or shut up..? :neutral:

Guess maybe I am mainly venting..although maybe someone else suffers this same 'attraction' and can relate...:/

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Stop and move, that's about all you can do.

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Every time I get sick, I'm never able to recall some obvious time of exposure. Also, I have exercise-induced coughing fits myself and I'm not actually sick, so there's that. I'd say don't worry about it, but if you decide to tell people to wear masks or something, I'd love to hear the responses you get.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would feel the same, I find things like that so irritating, especially in a place you are trying to improve your health - the last thing you need is to catch a bug! That person should also be resting. I would probably just move haha
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I tell them to go home because they are rude and spreading their germs.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Every time I get sick, I'm never able to recall some obvious time of exposure. Also, I have exercise-induced coughing fits myself and I'm not actually sick, so there's that. I'd say don't worry about it, but if you decide to tell people to wear masks or something, I'd love to hear the responses you get.

Haha, that is what I kind of tell myself..that they are (hopefully) not contagious..;)

I guess maybe moving is not a bad idea..
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You have 4 possible options.

1.) Confront the person with words. "I'm sorry, can you please move to another treadmill? I don't want to get sick".

2.) Be passive agressive and turn around often giving them a disgusted look. Make sure to go "UGH, seriously?" under your breath for maximum effort.

3.) Move to another machine. (why not also give them the disgusted look at this point just because?)

4.) Complain to management at the gym that they are sick and spreading germs to everyone.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    I would feel the same, I find things like that so irritating, especially in a place you are trying to improve your health - the last thing you need is to catch a bug! That person should also be resting. I would probably just move haha

Totally agree! But I do know, and I've been there before, that some coughs just linger and linger, or it might just be allergies, hard to say!! But I just don't get why anyone wants to pick a piece of equipment right next to someone when there are 40+ other ones available, but that might just be me and my personal space talking. :wink:
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »

Totally agree! But I do know, and I've been there before, that some coughs just linger and linger, or it might just be allergies, hard to say!! But I just don't get why anyone wants to pick a piece of equipment right next to someone when there are 40+ other ones available, but that might just be me and my personal space talking. :wink:

it's obviously because they want to race you. :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

1.) Confront the person with words. "I'm sorry, can you please move to another treadmill? I don't want to get sick".

2.) Be passive agressive and turn around often giving them a disgusted look. Make sure to go "UGH, seriously?" under your breath for maximum effort.

3.) Move to another machine. (why not also give them the disgusted look at this point just because?)

4.) Complain to management at the gym that they are sick and spreading germs to everyone.

Option 5 is to just move without any of that passive aggressive stuff.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Option 5 is to just move without any of that passive aggressive stuff.

yeah. that was number three. I'm just saying, might as well make it obvious why you're moving.

It's inconsiderate and disgusting to be hacking your germs all over the place, especially right next to someone.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Get sick on purpose so you can return twice as strong
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »

Same. I try to keep at least one machine away from people. I am not sure why other than we do it for everything else in life, why not exercise equipment.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I also cough sometimes when I am exercising.

It happened just yesterday during Zumba.

When my throat gets dry I get a sudden tickle that makes me start coughing, once it starts its hard to get it to stop.

I try really hard to not let it happen at the gym...because I don't want anyone to stare me down and say, "Really!", and then move to another machine. :blush:
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I cough due to mild asthma when I exercise. If someone is coughing a ton, enough to make me notice, then I ask if they are alright. Otherwise I carry on with my workout. I wash my hands and arms after a workout and try not to touch my face until after I shower. I figure if they have enough energy to work out then they probably are past the contagious part of their illness or it's allergy/asthma related and not contagious. If it super bothers you then move machines quietly.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I would move. Who cares about their feelings. Getting sick is not worth worrying about them.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    oh the horror of public places!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Common sense is just not so common anymore ..I would move to another machine , steal one of those out of order signs and put them on the machines next to you? :) and then Id go to the gym's facebook page if they have one and complain !! Its so bad people should know better but sadly they dont
  • MSH2930
    Options
    So many great points and thoughts on this!! Thanks all!!
    I think if it happens again I will just move quietly to another machine.
    It very well could be just an allergy or just a tickle, as I mentioned in one of my posts, but it also might be something brewing or something contagious. Personally I do not get why someone would choose to pick a piece of equipment right next to a stranger when there are 40+ other of the same machines available, but who knows!! It might be perfectly innocent, but sadly not everyone uses common sense or common courtesy anymore.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would move to another piece of equipment, and wipe it down before using it. A lot of people have to work when they're sick. It's not surprising that there is a general disregard for contagion.