Pure Barre

Options
I saw some old posts on this, but nothing recent. Anyone else out there a Pure Barre enthusiast? I've been going 4 times a week for a month and am hooked. I'm prone to injury, so instead of being down for a couple of weeks every few months with some kind of ailment, I'd rather sustain this. It's clear to me that I need to add some cardio to really see some results. Anybody else do anything to supplement their Pure Barre routines? What do you do? How long have you been Pure Barre-ing?

Replies

• Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with Pure Barre about a year ago, had to slow down because of health problems but really want to get back into it and I went yesterday! I love it because it's so hard and complete, and also the studio is so friendly. My goal is to go 3 times a week consistently. I also run every once in a while (I sign up for 5Ks). What else are you thinking of doing? Does your studio have the platform classes yet? It could be the cardio component you're looking for. I can't wait to try those :)
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My goal is 3-4 times a week too. We don't have the platform classes yet. I can't wait until we do! That will be the ticket I think. Does yours have them? If it were light out when I get done working, I would go for a jog after work, but, unfortunately my little corner of New Orleans isn't so safe after dark. (My husband has finally been successful in convincing me of that). I work from home, so I think I might bust out my old Jillian Michaels DVDs and do one on a break or after work. I think once I've dropped some weight, the Pure Barre might be enough to sustain me. But I have 80 (ish) pounds to go, so I for sure need some cardio.

I love my studio too. I'm by far the heaviest person in the class, but have never felt weird or uncomfortable. Mine does a "step up" package after the New Client special, for $163 a month so I'm in the midst of that right now. Then I'll have to take a break because I'll be in India for a month for my job, and then I'll sign up for the year auto draft. I'm a convert for sure.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My daughter was telling me about Pure Barre when she was home for Thanksgiving. She loves it. She also runs.
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Pure Barre. I mix it in with running and soul cycle. I like the strength training aspect. I haven't done the platform class yet because the classes are always full. But I think it is to address issue of doing more cardio in an exercise plan.
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't do Pure Barre but I recently started taking classes at Barre3. It's very enjoyable and am adding it in to my weight lifting regimen because it helps stretch so much. I have been dealing with hip pain from tight muscles and this seems to be helping. I signed up for their month long challenge.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Last month I started going to Barre at my gym once per week and doing Barre3 online another one or two times a week. I love both and am hooked, but I definitely prefer the in-person classes. Last month I supplemented Barre with a combination of cardio on the arc trainer & PiYo.

My gym just increased their price a bit and granted us access to more campuses, which means more barre classes, so my goal is to get to at least two Barre classes per week and supplement with a combination of cardio on the arc trainer, T25, Barre3, and PiYo. I get bored easily so the variety is great for me.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't think I'd like it - it sounds like the worst part of ballet class.

I do Barre Burn a couple of times a week - well, when I don't have a broken ankle ....
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Barre3 too. I wear my Fit Bit during my Pure Barre classes and it appears that I burn around 400 calories per 55 minute class. So not a big burn, but better than sand in my shorts.
  • Sixtine79
    Options
    My studio doesn't have the platform yet but I can't wait to try it out!!! I'm in the same situation as you - leave for work early, come home late, it's dark and cold (I'm in Chicago), so... Pure Barre is much better. I don't like DVDs at all... I always like the idea but then I never do anything at home :-D
  • BanannaNut
    BanannaNut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love pure barre! Found this post because I'm trying to figure out how many calories it burns to log it, I read on the web that it was around 250 and was horrified, glad it's more like 400!!!!

I think pure barre is a wonderful add-on to an already active and got lifestyle, but not particularly effective for those trying to lose weight. Cardio and lifting is so important and you get faster, more obvious results. I hit a plateau and started pure barre... I didn't lose a pound but dropped from a 10 to an 8 in my jeans. Yay!
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just came to this forum to see if there was anyone else doing barre, and here it is! Great minds :smile:

I'm obsessed with Pure Barre! It's such a great full-body workout and so much more challenging than it looks. I go to barre about six days per week and also run. It has really helped me feel stronger in my runs, so that's awesome. My studio just opened the week before Thanksgiving, so we don't have the platform class yet, but I'm really hoping we'll get it soon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    BanannaNut wrote: »
    Love pure barre! Found this post because I'm trying to figure out how many calories it burns to log it, I read on the web that it was around 250 and was horrified, glad it's more like 400!!!!

I think pure barre is a wonderful add-on to an already active and got lifestyle, but not particularly effective for those trying to lose weight. Cardio and lifting is so important and you get faster, more obvious results. I hit a plateau and started pure barre... I didn't lose a pound but dropped from a 10 to an 8 in my jeans. Yay!
    No, it's still closer to 250 than 400. Barre is more anaerobic than aerobic and anaerobic exercise doesn't burn that many calories. Even with heavy resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We don't have Pure Barre classes near where I live, unfortunately - or any barre studios for that matter. :( But I do the Barre3 DVDs and their online streaming classes. I love them! I've tried Physique 57, the Bar Method, and Callanetics - and Barre3 is definitely my favorite. I would love to try Pure Barre someday though!
  • CAKarlos
    CAKarlos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pure Barre is amazing! I only go once a week because I work out with a personal trainer 2x/wk, swim 1x/wk, bike 2-3/wk. Pure Barre has helped sculpt my body and has given me better definition. Platform classes start soon at my studio and I can't wait to try them!

If new to Pure Barre I definitely would encourage attending the technique classes.
  • Sixtine79
    Options
    Ladies - we used the velcro tube during last night's class and it was SO hard! OMG. Now I'm scared of the platform LOL :)
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh I used to do Cardio Barre in southern California and it was the best thing ever. Then I moved to New Mexico and there's nothing even close here. I did a "barre" class at one place with good reviews but it had no basis in ballet and was basically an aerobics class next to a barre. So lame, I almost left halfway through. *weep* During that time, I was doing CB 3x per week and pretty much nothing else, other than maybe a hike or jog every now and then. I found that the barre classes brought out little muscles in places I didn't know I had muscles.

Here's hoping that sometime soon, a good barre studio will open here and make my life complete. :)