Fruit in the Morning ... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Options
So I have been following a food plan my gym fitness coach provided me with, and every morning for the past month i have followed it exactly, and it's working great!

It requires me to eat a serving of fruit in the morning, as well as either a healthy grain cereal and fat free milk, or egg whites and low cal wheat bread.

I ran out of fruit for a couple of days, and WOW!! I felt sluggish, felt myself nodding off at my desk at work, and couldn't concentrate all morning. Then I finally went and bought some apples last night, had my apple this morning, and i feel SO much better!! I always heard it's good to have fruit in the morning because it provides energy, but i never really thought it was noticeable, but it really is!!

I'm a "fruit in the morning gives you energy" believer now!!!

has anyone else found something in their new lifestyle that now that they have it, they simply cannot live without?? Let's hear it! :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I notice and have read that eating an apple in the morning helps with energy and alertness more than a cup of coffee.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I never was into drinking much orange juice or eating oranges and the last couple of weeks I've included both and now love it and crave it. I've always been more of a "veggie" person but now am adding many more fruits to my foods and it truly makes me feel much better.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i believe that! coffee actually never tasted good to me, though i would stop and get one of those gas station cappuccino's now and then. they never made me feel more awake though.

I'm actually happy to say that besides for protein shakes after a workout and fat free milk in the morning in my cereal, I don't drink anything but my 8 glasses of water a day. I never cared for pop a whole lot, and after I started getting acid reflex a lot, i cut it out completely. I really don't miss it either, thank goodness!!

I'll usually eat half a banana in the morning or some peaches, but this morning was actually the first I went for an apple instead. I honestly feel great! an apple a day it is!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, does this apply to fruit juice? Assuming the juice is 100% and no added sugars or any of that stuff?
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love OAsis Healthy break Fruit Smoothie drinks, so yummy and good energy for sure. Wish I could find them by the case!
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Wow, who knew? Perhaps I'll bring a basket of apples each day for my Fall 8am students...or at least tell them to grab one from the cafeteria on their way to class! Thanks for that good info.
  • GeorgiaPrune
    Options
    I totally agree with you, a serving of fruit in the morning does make a great difference for the rest of the day. Also, I've found that if I start the day with a warm cup of water w/ a squeeze of lemon in it followed by water for the rest of the day, I have way more energy and don't have the afternoon crash that I get with a morning cup of coffee.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have noticed in the afternoon if I have an apple, it's almost like I had a coffee. It really energizes me! I never really thought about it in the morning, but I sometimes do have fruit then. I'll have to make sure it's a daily thing. :smile:
  • brittaney10811
    Options
    i have tried the fruit juices, but orange juice doesn't do the same satisfaction as an actual piece of fruit does. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but i'd rather eat my calories than drink them, lol.

Great question though! hmm... Input anyone?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, does this apply to fruit juice? Assuming the juice is 100% and no added sugars or any of that stuff?

No, the reason being is that the sugar in juice is not pared with fiber and therefore spikes your sugar levels so you get a boost of energy quickly, followed by a crash. Other than the vitamins in juice it is not that different than drinking pop. If you can, eat the real fruit instead of drinking it.
  • WinningAt50
    WinningAt50 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Having fruits in the mornings totally keeps me feling energized. I have fruits with all of my meals. I use them in most cases for my desserts and snacks. They give me a satifying sensation at the end of my meal. It's also closure to a meal for me. It satisfies my cravings for sweets. I also notice that since I eat fruit on a regular basis it kills my cravings for sweet. Fruits are perfectly sweet and tasty this time of the year. My favorites are the blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and watermelon. I am having a blueberry & blackberry smoothie right now.. Yummy!!! Fruits in the morning and through out the day really makes a difference.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love OAsis Healthy break Fruit Smoothie drinks, so yummy and good energy for sure. Wish I could find them by the case!

If your really desprete you could contact the manufacture and order by the case. When my husband was deployed I had to move to TX and they didn't sell my favorite energy drink in that state so my husband contacted to manufacture and had a case of 48 cans sent to my house!!! It's worth a shot! And most of the time it's cheaper to order by the case!
  • shortcake05
    Options
    I love apples and eat them multiple times throughout the day, but they leave me feeling hungry 30-40 minutes after I eat them. I hate that. But I do notice I feel energized from eating pretty much any fruit.
  • brittaney10811
    Options
    I love apples and eat them multiple times throughout the day, but they leave me feeling hungry 30-40 minutes after I eat them. I hate that. But I do notice I feel energized from eating pretty much any fruit.

i am noticing that i am a little hungry now. but that's when the best idea is just to drink some water and kill the craving :) so that's what i'm doing ... that and awaiting lunch lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Wow, who knew? Perhaps I'll bring a basket of apples each day for my Fall 8am students...or at least tell them to grab one from the cafeteria on their way to class! Thanks for that good info.

Mom, that is a great idea!