Need help toning and building muscles

Options
Looking for ideas on how I can tone up and build muscles. What to eat and exercise routines. All suggestions are welcomed.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You cannot tone a muscle. You can gain muscle, lose muscle, or keep it the same. You can gain a bit of muscle and lose a little fat in maintenance running a recomp by doing a lifting or bodyweight program with progressive overload. Calories are at maintenance. Eat what you want and meet macro goals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Very worthwhile read, tells you everything you need to know: aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • bzayzay
    bzayzay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Protein = Shoot for ~200 grams per day (lean meats)
    Carbs = Start with approx. ~300gm per day (starchy and fibrous)
    Fats = ~60-80grams (nuts, PB, avocado) some will naturally occur in your meats

Protein = 800 cals, Carbs = 1200 cals , Fats = 540-720….. total cals Approx. = ~2540- 2720
    I'm not a nutritionist so if you would like to know more info contact one. And then over time up your protein, carbs and fats by little bit everyday
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The percentage of macros depends on the individual, it's a good idea to see a sports dietitian for advice. You need to do three weight sessions a week low reps high weight. If you go to a gym get advice from a trainer or see an exercise physiologist for advice and program. I am also trying to gain muscle and tone up and have seen a dietitian and exercise physiologist for advice, it's money well spent.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    bzayzay wrote: »

Protein = 800 cals, Carbs = 1200 cals , Fats = 540-720….. total cals Approx. = ~2540- 2720
    I'm not a nutritionist so if you would like to know more info contact one. And then over time up your protein, carbs and fats by little bit everyday

200 grams of protein is completely unnecessary for the vast vast majority of the population - especially a 29 year old female who appears to be at a normal, healthy weight.

0.6-0.8 grams per pound of body weight is a much more reasonable (not to mention economical) recommendation.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

Seeing as how you're a 29-year old female and not an 18-year old male bodybuilder/powerlifter, I'd completely ignore this advice, as it doesn't apply to you in any way. If you read the link I provided above, there is a lot of useful information about how to lift, what to eat, etc.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Very worthwhile read, tells you everything you need to know: aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

Thank you for posting this, very informative.
  • lancelyell
    lancelyell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight I really focused on cutting until I was within 2% of my desired body fat first then focused on muscle gain. You will get much quicker results if you focus on one specific thing rather than trying to do both at the same time. As you drop body fat you will get "toned" as you called it. Then you can work on increasing your calories to build more muscle. If you're cutting just do so at a slow and effective rate and be careful not to crash diet and destroy your metabolism
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I'm glad you put in the part of consulting a nutritionist and in particular a Registered Dietition rather than a person with nothing but an empty title, but your realize if someone went to a RD they would shake their head at that macro break down not to mention the amount of calories you advocate.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You cannot tone a muscle. You can gain muscle, lose muscle, or keep it the same. You can gain a bit of muscle and lose a little fat in maintenance running a recomp by doing a lifting or bodyweight program with progressive overload. Calories are at maintenance. Eat what you want and meet macro goals.

This is good advice. You will want to lift weights if you want to build muscle. Seek a personal trainer if you are unfamiliar with weight training and get a good strengthening program.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

There should be a choice for "dumb" under the Flag option so we can flag posts like this one.

OP, check out New Rules of Lifting for Women -- a lot of women here swear by it -- and become a regular in forums specific to women building muscles, like on bodybuilding.com (a great site, as long as you avoid the Teen or Misc. sections).
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

There should be a choice for "dumb" under the Flag option so we can flag posts like this one.

OP, check out New Rules of Lifting for Women -- a lot of women here swear by it -- and become a regular in forums specific to women building muscles, like on bodybuilding.com (a great site, as long as you avoid the Teen or Misc. sections).

Misc. can be entertaining, if you enjoy that kind of humor. I think of it kinda like the forum version of Beavis and Butt-head. :D
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Misc. can be entertaining, if you enjoy that kind of humor. I think of it kinda like the forum version of Beavis and Butt-head. :D

I'm glad the Misc exists. Some of those boys are very frustrated. I don't know if the forum just feeds it, or if it's a good outlet for them.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options

Well you just can't take Misc seriously if you want to 1) read it 2) stay sane!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @arditarose I prefer not to feed the beast. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Double post