Do you think you're not as fat as you are?

Options

Replies

• jonial99
    jonial99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I even will ask my kids am I that big? And I think I'm looking good but then the pictures come out. I untag myself from every one. Hopefully we can stay motivated this year. That's my goal :).
  • dclark432
    dclark432 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way.
  • JDiane55
    JDiane55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck hope 2016 is your best year ever
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    This concept appears everywhere, still out and about and can tell that those at about 50 or 60 pounds over really "do not see it" , some would say they are in denial but it seems more likely that to themselves there is that reality "mirror" distortion and of course, avoiding pictures helps in not facing the extra pounds that are visible on the body.
  • a1bowins
    a1bowins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one who has felt this way. I thought I was alone.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I went through this when I was overweight. It took seeing myself in a picture with a group of friends to realize I was as big as I'd gotten. You would have thought I'd have gotten the picture having to buy new clothes every couple of months because mine weren't fitting anymore! Stubborn minds!

If it's any inspiration, I've maintained my weight loss just about 4 years now. My weight is up a bit due to gaining muscle mass through two bulk cycles, but that I'm ok with! Good luck!
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've never felt that I looked as heavy as I am. I always thought it was because I'm tall, but this past year, I really began to notice, not just in pictures (which, don't even get me started on that horror) but in the way that I feel. I used to be really athlectic and could keep up and do most things with ease (even with asthma) but I've gotten to the point where just the smallest set of stairs will wind me, and I don't like that. I've never been really unhappy being bigger, I've never had issues socially, I'm with an amazing man who is a great partner, but when I started to physically feel it, that's when it really started to sink in for me. Just keep at it, and keep your confidence up!!
  • Heidisjourney
    Heidisjourney Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I dont feel crazy overweight but when I see a picture of myself I cringe.

Good Luck with your journey

^ this sums up my reply PERFECTLY
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I have looked in a mirror and been like.... "who the H** is that!! I literally could not recognise myself in pictures for quite a while.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I was definitely shocked into reality by some candid pics that I did not know were being taken. what a wake up call! I knew I was overweight, but I had no idea how bad I looked because I did not "see" it when I looked in the mirror.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I never thought of myself as overweight ... even when I looked in the mirror. But the scale kept telling me I was. Silly scale!

I've lost over 50 lbs now, and just in the past couple days, I've been looking at photos of me a year ago.

Um. WOW. In a few I hardly recognised myself. Guess I was overweight after all.
  • asyk805
    asyk805 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I like to think I am tall, big boned, fluffy...when in reality I am in the obese class. I look in the mirror and don't think I look that bad but then in some pictures it like....eeeeekkkkkkk
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    This question is too philosophical for me to answer. How do we know what we know? Can we trust our senses when we look in the mirror, our subjective feelings of fatness? What is truly knowable?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    This question is too philosophical for me to answer. How do we know what we know? Can we trust our senses when we look in the mirror, our subjective feelings of fatness? What is truly knowable?

This is a good question. What about people who are normal weight who see themselves as fat? I was actually the reverse. I felt that I had a lot of cellulite and arms that were so flabby they needed a reduction, and hubby (who is a bit "blind" about my body shape, as he prefers curvier women), insisted there was none. Then my husband took pictures of me on the beach in a bathing suit and I was surprised to see there was no cellulite. Many of us look for every little defect and imperfection and emphasize that; this is especially true of women.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't look as heavy as I weigh. When I tell people my weight they look at me as if they are seeing me through new eyes. Or maybe that's how I see it.

I carry myself well, have always been "curvy" and never really thought about myself as "fat" ever. Last year I went to the doctor just for a standard prescription, she got me to stand on the scales and put me against the height chart and asked did I know I was in the obese category on the BMI chart. I didn't and was disgusted...with her!

I'm now in the overweight category but over Christmas when I'm fitting into my nice clothes and everyone keeps telling me how great I looked its easy to think of myself as an ideal weight. Truth is I'm not, I'm still overweight. I really don't like admitting that.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror I can trick myself into not seeing the fat. I can catch just the right angle, suck it in, etc.

But when I see a picture, I know. Pictures don't lie!
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I relate completly. I only noticed in picture I was gaining weight. I gained do to a birth control I was on. I never eat that horrible but I'm not very active.. this is all going to change
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think I look thinner than I really am and then I see pics and I am like wow. I have a long way to go!
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think this is definitely a problem for people who were thin most of their adult lives. You can see the old me in my profile pic....I'm a good 70 pounds heavier now, and 12 inches wider round the waist, but I still think of myself as the "skinny kid". And theres a girl in my office who had been a size 2, except now she isn't! But I think shes still in denial, squeezing into her same old clothes and joking about how skinny she is....
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel that way everyday! Especially while loosing weight i feel so free. I have lost 10 pounds in 6 days, recently.
    i have to remind myself in still very fat and unhealthy, and need to loose a lot of weight.