Need Help Understanding Blog Post Statement

Options
Hello everyone.

I was reading todays blogpost (https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-lose-an-extra-half-pound-a-week/) and was curious about the math of weight loss as presented in the article.

The following statement was made in the body of the article: "One hundred extra calories burned each day is about a half-pound per week..."

Wouldn't that be about a quarter-pound per week? The number I've always had in my head for the conversion is 1 pound = 3,500 calories (insomuch as that kind of conversion is useful). So wouldn't cutting 100 calories per day basically be about a pound per month?

I'm assuming there is something here I'm either misunderstanding, don't know about, or perhaps the trainer was figuring in some other factors (such as the exercise itself). Just looking for clarification so I can be sure my current knowledge/understanding isn't in error as it would change how I plan my own diet and routine.

Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your maths appears to be right, and the blog is often stunningly wrong.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's up with that blog. I don't suggest getting information from there. I used an mfp blog post once to understand how to recomp when I was first researching and it jacked me all up.
  • PrePosthumous
    PrePosthumous Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!