Looking for motivation from anyone who has lost or needs to lose around 300lbs.

Options
I want to do it right this time. I don't want to dive into something extreme. This time I want to take it slow. I want change my habits as they come, not all at once overnight. So if you need to or have lose a lot of weight, I could use some guidance and motivation.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The motivation is internal and must come from you. Know WHY you want to do this, then remind yourself of this every day.

I encourage you to read the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum. They contain lots of good info and tips on doing this right.

Browse the threads in the Success Stories forum for people with journeys similar to yours.

Set a plan and establish good habits--as you say, one thing at a time and only what is sustainable. Then follow your plan& practice your habits, dont wait to "feel motivated" every day.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above. I see a lot of success stories (myself included) that start by walking. Walk everyday. I found that the key to achieving net calorie deficit everyday is to ensure the calories burned side of the ledger is high enough to outpace hunger. For me it was far easier to exercise more than to eat less. The bonus is that while you are walking you are not eating. I recommend podcasts or audiobooks to make the time pass and make your walks truly enjoyable.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of the previous posts. I did not however, exercise until I had lost about 40-50 lbs. I still lost weight steadily, because I had so much to lose. I did stick to my plan 100 % though. I just decided that it was time and I was ready. Even though I have lost a lot, I still have alot to go. Being that this process is not a quick fix, this amount of time that it is taking is allowing me to discover what will and will not work for me for the rest of my life.
    I started out huffing and puffing trying to complete a 1 mile walk at home video. Now I do 3,4, or 5, depending on my mood and the amount of time I have.
    The main thing that I have learned from others that are on and have been on this journey is to continue to live and enjoy life throughout. If I have a day or a week where I eat more than I would have wanted I do not get discouraged. I just get back to eating healthy and I keep exercising. I feel so much better and I am proud of myself for finally taking steps that are needed to improve my quality of life.
    I am no expert, but I am always open to questions, comments or support as many have been for me.
  • carrie3boys2016
    carrie3boys2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please send me a friend request.. Very interested need 100+
  • plexusangel2016
    plexusangel2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 120 lbs and would like to be friends if you want :)
  • kcwwoa
    kcwwoa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have 170 to lose which I'm taking a pound at a time. It's all about baby steps for me. We can do this.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Oprah magazine, January 2016, has a good section on motivation. A point I really picked up on was: make the effort first and motivation will follow. I am trying that this year and pushing to work out 4 time a week. Still waiting for motivation but it is the 5th.