Struggling to Stay Below Cals

Options
Hi everyone. This is my second time around on a serious effort. I cant even remember why the last time failed. I base where I think I should be on where the military height/weight tables state. I was at my max (181lbs) when I got out in 2003. I am now 204, about 35lbs over where I really want to be. Its a chore trying to find food choices that keep me at 1500 calories/day. Just looking for anyone out there to help me out, maybe I can help you.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is very low for a male. Try changing your goal to lose 1 pound per week. Also, if you open your diary people can offer suggestions on changes that may help.
  • fmlong
    fmlong Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Let me see how to do that
  • fmlong
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I opened up my diet. Does everyone else open it to public or friends only? Im not comfortable with this app yet. Yes, 1500 is pretty aggressive but I really need a good faith loss soon to keep me a believer. Im trying to be honest and not give up if I go over.
  • DiviturLabimur
    DiviturLabimur Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful to not have too much of a deficit because that can have an adverse affect on your metabolism which will keep you from losing weight. That was one of my mistakes.
  • maximuszxd23
    maximuszxd23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you work out? Try to run or walk 30-60min each day. Get a tracker that will track the activities during your day. I use a polar m400 and it's awesome! Tryed the fitbit but it could not keep up with heavy lifting.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't know if you're working out or not, but I'd probably up to 1700/1800 for your weight. That's still low, but it gives you an extra meal. Also, the best thing I ever did was check the scale monthly instead of daily. Just stick to your meal plans and the weight will come off. Good luck on ur journey.
  • fmlong
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Im adjusting the daily to the 1700 range since a couple people seemed to squint at that. I planned on checking the scale weekly but, yeah, maybe a bigger lapse in time would be better. Thanks again.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    fmlong wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Im adjusting the daily to the 1700 range since a couple people seemed to squint at that. I planned on checking the scale weekly but, yeah, maybe a bigger lapse in time would be better. Thanks again.

Definitely take some measurements too! The scale only says so much. I used to judge all my accomplishments by the scale and would get upset sometimes.

I'm no expert by any means, but feel free to reach out for any tips. I'm happy to share what I know.
  • fmlong
    Options
    ;)
  • richelle327
    richelle327 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to get scanned for body fat percent. Body fat is more important. There are many active people, military and civilian, that are "over weight" for having more muscle mass. If you are "over weight, " but have a healthy body fat percent then you can get a medical waiver.