5x5 vs 5/3/1 which program is best?

Options
I am getting back into the gym and my main goal is to become the biggest, fastest, strongest version of myself. I have had a lot of success in the past with Stronglifts 5x5. But i have heard of many strong guys (who also look aesthetic) who swear by Wenders 5/3/1 program. Which is best? Advantages/disadvantages of each program would be appreciated if you have them

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    A 5x5 program (such as Stronglifts, etc) is probably better for someone just starting out or coming back after a long layoff - the progress is much faster than in an intermediate program like 5/3/1. Once the volume and/or rate of progression of 5x5 gets to be too much, 5/3/1 is a good intermediate program.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    A 5x5 program (such as Stronglifts, etc) is probably better for someone just starting out or coming back after a long layoff - the progress is much faster than in an intermediate program like 5/3/1. Once the volume and/or rate of progression of 5x5 gets to be too much, 5/3/1 is a good intermediate program.

This. All there is to say really, both can be effective in their own context.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

Agree with this. I started with Starting Strength (similar to 5x5) and then progressed to Wendler after about 6 months. I switched because I was getting bored with SS, but I think if I had started out with Wendler, I would have become discouraged and frustrated at the slower progression.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They're both great, do whatever you like best. 5x5 is definitely more of a beginner routine but that doesn't mean that 5/3/1 isn't an excellent option. Pick whichever you like better.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height/weight) and what are your lifts currently at? Like others have said, 5x5 is a great program for beginners because it's a fast progression and you can add weight quickly. In SL5x5 you're going to add 60lbs to your squat and DL every month and 30lbs to your other lifts. 5/3/1 you're only going to be adding 5lbs/10lbs per month. My opinion is that if your lifts aren't at least close to the intermediate level, then you still have room to grow with 5x5 url="http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm"]exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm[/url]

Once you build that base though, I preferred to switch to 5/3/1 over going to the SL3x5 as it's just more flexible. If you were just looking for more accessory lifts though, there the Ice Cream Fitness variation of SL that a lot of people liked.

• WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best program is the one you will enjoy and stick with. Both are great programs, and there are numerous other great programs out there. I'm a fan of 5/3/1, and have been doing it for about 7 years now. I have done 5x5 and 3x5 all through high school (many years ago), cause that was the only program the coaches put us through.
    I went with 5/3/1 because I'm done my workout in about 45 minutes, (ideal for me cause I'm not as young as I used to be). Beginners can start with 5/3/1, but it's important to have good form for all the lifts beforehand because Wendler doesn't go through how to perform the lifts in any of his books. In fact he's actually recommended people to go through Mark Ripptoe's training (books or videos) to learn the lifts. While Stronglifts is considered a very good beginner's program.
    Progression between 5/3/1 and Stronglifts is a little misleading. If you want to see progression during every workout than Stronglifts is for you. Wendler has the routine set up based on Training Max so it may not seem like you're progressing as quickly because depending on the workout schedule you go with, you're only adding 5-10 lbs to the bar every month (where Stronglifts you're adding weight to the bar every workout). I have found it to be true (what Wendler states) even though you're basing your routine around a training max for each lift, after completing multiple cycles, you will progress and be considerably stronger. From my own actual 1RM testing, I've been averaging an increase of 50-60lbs/month on my 1RM depending on the lift (similar gains to Stronglifts). Oh, also, just like any program out there, you will stall, I've stalled a few times on 5/3/1, but after resetting, the gains resume.
    Try either program, and run it for a year, see how you like it. You can always switch to something else, but it's important to give it a good run. Switching from one program to another every few months will not give you the full benefits of any program (strength training doesn't happen overnight). Also, whatever program you decide on, I highly recommend picking up the latest copy of it. Yes, you will find numerous versions floating around the internet, but you will be missing a lot of information only available in the books. As was my case, with the template I'm currently following on 5/3/1, is only available in the book Beyond 5/3/1.
    Good luck in your pursuit to fulfill your goals.
  • Paleo_Porky
    Paleo_Porky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done 5/3/1 and find it a great program but needing more training volume on the "auxiliary" lifts. I've had to really tailor this program to make it work for me personally. Main lift needs tailoring with joker sets, last set first methods. For a true cut - unless you are sitting below threshold - you will stall more quickly because intake will be too low. Best to avoid a "power" program if you are not eating enough to sustain a power program.

5x5 should be modified so that you are not necessarily back squatting 3x per week. Doing a method that gains you a 2 day or 3 day rest combination is best.

I need to cut BF right now - so I am doing 5x5, 5x10 main lift with 5x8-10 auxiliary lifts with a chest/back, core/leg (front squats, bulgarians), shoulders/arms, leg (back squats, leg press, lunges, pistols)/core cycle - 4 days on, 1 day off - active recovery rest day with steady state cardio.

If you are trying to cut, you need to accelerate volume and maintain as much strength as possible. Accelerating volume will help burn calories and glycogen thereby activating a fat burn, leaning you out. As you "progress" on your cut, don't be surprised if strength suffers.

Everything in life is a zero-sum game. Consequences, intended or not, are always going to root themselves in any action we take. Short taking steroids or neural adaptations, shorting on intake will cause you to lose some strength over the long run.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Which 5/3/1? There's a dozen variants for different goals.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    All my opinion:

SL 5x5:

Pros- simple, gets you extremely proficient with the big lifts, get you used to putting more weight on the bar regularly

Cons- not getting very many overall reps in. can get frustrating once you stall on lifts and drop back a couple times. can get boring

5/3/1:

Pros- very flexible program, enough options you can pretty much run it forever whether you end up lifting for power, aesthetics or both

Cons- slower progression which can lead to frustration, requires more prehab/rehab work to combat soreness (it did for me anyway)

Take away- If you haven't been lifting recently, running SL 5x5 or IMO a superior variant like Ice Cream Fitness for a few months to get your body used to lifting again is probably a good idea.

5/3/1 is a great, flexible program for intermediate and above lifters and can serve people for years and years.

tl;dr start with a version of 5x5, then after a few months give 5/3/1 a go and see which you prefer.