What's your favorite soup recipe?

Options
beccamh
beccamh Posts: 85 Member
It's finally starting to feel like winter where I am which means I'm in the mood for soup! I'll post a few of my favorites below but hoping to get some new ideas to add in the rotation..

Replies

• dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Chicken Noodle but instead of solely or any traditional noodles, trying it with ribbons of carrots, parsnips, celery, would need to be something that you would add as you reheated for lunch / dinner as you do not want them over done. Also adding some greens, probably watercress that I just picked up or chard ribbons too.

Using bean sprouts / shredded cabbage in place of rice noodles for Vietnamese Pho is on my hit list this soup season along with Thai Tom Yum too.

• mfciam1
    mfciam1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Manhattan clam chowder = Tomato paste, chicken/shrimp flavor cube, water, celery, whole tomato, whole onion, whole green pepper and either canned clams or frozen mussel meat with the juice and an extra cup or so of water with a bit of starch or roux to thicken. Pretty easy to add any kind of sour cream or evaporated milk to make it a bit creamier, but I don't think it needs it.

creamed shitake: Boil dried shitake mushrooms in water , add an onion, fat free sour cream or cream cheese and thicken with starch or roux, then puree with a blender adding 1 clove of garlic. and some parsley, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Surely this would work with those cheap-o canned mushrooms too, but i doubt they would be so flavorful.

I never put salt in my things until I'm at the table, because you never know how much you need to add.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I can't pick just one. Love soup! I made a great vegetable beef soup last week from the Bald Chef on YouTube. Here is a link to the video. https://youtube.com/watch?v=goZ6UjasRaM It was great! I did use a bell pepper I had on hand not the poblano. I also used 1/2 cup barley instead of potatoes. It was so good!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love this soup made with rotisserie chicken. Might be one of my favorite chicken soups. Well...I like chicken tortilla soup too. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/rotisserie-chicken-soup.html

I love Tyler Florence's Chicken Tortilla Soup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like blended soup.. so onions and leek with cauliflower and/or potatoes, or butternut squash and onion.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Avgolemeno. A greek lemon soup. You can add chicken to it, sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. Chicken stock or broth (stock tastes a lot more rich) some orzo (up to 1/2 cup or so, depending on your caloric goals). Juice of 1 lemon wisked together with 2 eggs. Add a little bit of the hot broth to the eggs to temper it. Then add eggs to the soup to thicken it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    @Queenmunchy is going to chime in soon and you will have a whole bunch of delish options :)

LOL! I was just about to find some links of my favorites. I can eat soup all year round for breakfast lunch and dinner...seriously. I don't, but I can!

http://againstallgrain.com/2013/01/30/leftover-roast-chicken-soup-with-roasted-vegetables/ (I do the double butternut and no sweet potato)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html (I don’t even add the pasta, but if you do, don’t add the cooked pasta until you’re eating it)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup.html (I use zucchini instead of beans)
    http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/michael-symon-tomato-blue-cheese-soup (I swap evaporated skim milk for the cream)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html (can swap potato for all cauliflower)
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-thai-coconut-chicken-soup/7cc193b0-0b00-4ff5-9527-ae68db64039b
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/split-peas-soup-with-ham-2-points.html
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/slow-cooker-white-bean-soup/
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The key to a good fall/winter soup is a good stock. It's an extra day in the process to de-fat it but to me it's worth it. You'll need a big stockpot for a turkey (i.e. Thanksgiving) carcass, or you can use a half-picked over roasted chicken, etc. Throw in a few stalks of celery, a few carrots, a couple of quartered onions with a couple of whole cloves stuck in them, maybe a leek or two, a few whole cloves of garlic, a half dozen whole peppercorns, a couple of bay leaves, some parsley, a couple of Tbs cider vinegar then pinches of some spices (basil, thyme, rosemary, thyme, celery seeds, etc.). Cover all this with water (3-3.5 quarts), bring to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 hours. Discard the solids, let it cool down de-fat and NOW you're ready to make real soup.

For a hearty winter chicken soup things I like to add are butternut squash, parsnips, a 28 oz can of Muir Glen chopped fire roasted tomatoes, a couple of sauteed chopped onions, chick peas, french green beans, sauteed red bell pepper, and some chopped greens like romaine, chard or even mustard greens. Separately saute or grill some chicken tenders and store them separately and add at when ready to serve.
  • andreaelliott77
    andreaelliott77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla-less Soup
    2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1.5 boxes of Swanson no sodium chicken broth
    I cup frozen corn
    Juice from one lime
    1 small white onion, diced
    I can (the larger size) of fire roasted diced tomatoes
    1 can diced green chilies
    1 can black beans, do not rinse
    I can red enchilada sauce
    A good bunch of fresh cilantro, about 1/2 cup chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 Tbls ancho chili powder
    1 Tbls smoked paprika
    1 tsp chipotle chili powder
    Optional: red, yellow, or green peppers diced
    Layer chicken breasts on the bottom of a crock pot then add everything else in. Stir to combine and set on high and forget it. The longer it cooks means the more tender the chicken. When it's finished cooking removed the chicken and shred the add it back into the soup. Stir to incorporate back into the soup. You may need to add more broth for a thinner soup. Play around with it and get it to your preference. It's hard to screw this soup up. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with a few sprinkles of cheddar cheese and a small dollop of sour cream. Garnish with more cilantro. ❤️

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love soup. Today my favorite is chicken tortilla. Had some tonight.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Orange lentils boiled with a little tumeric, paprika powder and onion- pinch of cumin once lentils cooked down- sprinkle a little coriander and fresh lemon at the end. Simply to die for
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of soup once a week for lunches. Occasionally I'll find an awesome recipe online. I made Easy Thai Shrimp Soup from the damndelicious site last week...OMG. So good!
    http://damndelicious.net/2015/02/18/easy-thai-shrimp-soup/
  • ZoeMarie1989
    ZoeMarie1989 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favourite has no name I can remember..

It's; 2 chicken breast diced, 4 celery sticks diced, 1 onion diced, 2 carrot diced, 250g split red lentils, then chilli flakes, salt, pepper to taste (optional add stock cube)

You just put everything in a saucepan add water, boil for 10 mins and simmer for roughly 30mins and your done.

(That would make about 4 servings)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,714 Member
    Options
    I love soupe au pistou. Boiled up some chopped veg including a chopped tomato and and a tin of white beans. Stir in a big dollop of pesto into each bowl. Delicious and dead easy.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    1 ¼ cups chopped red bell pepper
    ¾ cup chicken broth
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    Assorted vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, green beans...)

Instructions
    Heat a large skillet and brown the chicken in the olive oil.
    Add everything except the cilantro and vegetables in the crockpot and stir it up
    Cook on low for 4 hours. Add vegetables and cook on low for another hour or so, or until they're just cooked. Add cilantro
    Shred chicken
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Buy, cook and eat a spiral ham.
    Simmer ham bone, with some meat remaining thereon, for several hours with chopped onion and garlic cloves.
    Allow to cool somewhat, pour broth through a strainer into another pot, or heat proof bowl (make sure receiving bowl is big enough to hold broth).
    Allow bones and meat in strainer to cool to touch. Remove non-fatty meat from strainer, chop and add to broth. Discard rest.
    Put pot, or bowl, with meat and broth in a refrigerator for several hours, or overnight.
    Skim off congealed fat from top.
    Add grated carrots, diced onion and split peas (one or two pounds of peas) to meat/broth mixture
    Bring to a boil.
    Lower heat and simmer for several hours until the split peas break down.
    Serve hot with crusty bread.

You can substitute a ham hock(s) for the spiral ham bone. You could also use a ham bone from a ham that was not "spiral cut".
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Recipe from my Aunt: Good Soup

2 Can Progresso Minestrone
    1 can Ranch Style beans
    1 can Black beans
    1 can rotel
    1/2 Large loaf of Velvetta
    1lb Meat (hamburger, Italian sausage, Venison)
    1 can diced tomatoes (optional)

Sometimes we eat it just like that sometimes we add penne pasta and serve the soup over top like spaghetti.

Love this because its so easy to change it up with whatever you have on hand. I love Kidney beans, my child does too so anything he'll willingly eat I will include!
  • Missy_Monroe
    Missy_Monroe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites. It is a healthier spin on cream of broccoli.

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
    1 full head of broccoli chopped
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves of raw garlic, minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    4 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    (alternatively; sometimes I choose to do 3 cups of broth and 1 cup of low-fat milk)
    1 cup of low-fat medium cheddar
    (alternatively; you could choose to use sharp cheddar for a stronger cheese flavour).

In a large pot place the olive oil, garlic, and onions and cook until the onions are just turning translucent. Add the cubed potatoes and chopped broccoli, stir together and then cover the pot, letting the vegetables steam for a approx 3-5 mins. Stir once more and then add the broth (or broth/milk mixture). Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat and let cook for approximately 15-20 mins or until potatoes are tender (can be easily pierced with a fork). Remove pot from heat and using an immersion blender (i.e. hand blender), puree the entire contents of the pot. If you do not have an immersion blender this can also be done by transferring the contents of the pot into a standard blender, although this will likely need to be done in batches as it will not all fit in the blender at once. Once the soup is pureed, add the cheddar and stir until well combined.

Enjoy!
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love soup, soup is one of my go-to's especially when I have a left over chicken on hand. However, this month I am doing vegetarian, and there is a kale potato soup that's to die for!
    Got the recipe from the food network, here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kale-soup-recipe.html