Weight Watchers transplant

Replies

• AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    So interesting to read all your comments. I have been member of WW a few times as well, this time I was intrigued because Oprah is on board. To be honest WW never has worked that well for me, but it has for husband. I find annoying that a lot of the people that has lost weight with them feel that they need to stick to WW to keep it off, like a drug. That to me doesn't really show a healthy change of your habits but a pathological codependency. Having said that, I applaud every way that helps people to loose weight. Everybody is different and different ways work different to different people. So whatever works for you is a good thing.

I like the idea that it focus now on Proteins fats and sugars tho... I do eat very little protein, and fill myself with carbs. And I know THAT is what is keeping me fat and fluffy. If WW help me to change that I will gladly pay them. Just worried that if I stop coming the weight will come up again.

Something else that bothers me about WW is the paraphernalia that they give you. It clutters my brain with so much papers and *kitten*. I want something simple. Not tons of booklets and stuff.
  • AngelinaB_
    Can you still eat carbs on the WW plan?
  • AngelinaB_
    Also it looks it has become so $$$$$ :(
  • pitcherday
    pitcherday Posts: 18 Member
    I am a former WW leader who made lifetime on the old Points Plan (Momentum). I never really liked Points Plus, but was able to maintain my weight on the plan. When I left my job with WW in February 2012, I gradually yo-yo'd my way up 25 pounds, just 7 pounds from my starting weight. I bounced around between MFP, Spark People and doing WW on my own. My weight bounced around too. This past July, I began attending meetings again and the weight slowly started coming off. Since Smart Points began , the weight is dropping a little faster. I LIKE that the new plan is getting me away from sugar. I feel so much better. Desserts are supposed to be for special occasions; not everyday. I NEED the motivation, support and accountability of WW meetings. MFP has the best data base; I use it when I can't find a food in the WW app and then I put it into the smart points calculator. If you cannot afford WW, MFP is a good substitute; but WW is the only thing that I have had success with.

I am glad you were successful (as was I). I am glad that you like the new plan, a lot of people do. Where is that rule written about desserts only being for special occasions? THAT is what I do not like about the new WW plan... they're telling ME when I should and should not have food. Isn't that really up to me? Is there an approved list of "dessert worthy" special occasions, or do I get to decide that for myself? People that are watching what they eat are doing it with a mind toward health, they don't need their knuckles rapped with a ruler every time they reach for the cookie jar. It's pretty common knowledge that saturated fat and sugar are unhealthy in large amounts. I am still going to meetings until my Monthly Pass runs out later this month. I am also not a big fan of the new meetings. The ones I have been to are more like cheerleading sessions than learning how to navigate the world while trying to eat right. It's gone way too much toward support group and less toward motivation and utility for me. Weight Watchers always took mental/emotional and social factors into account as well as the nuts and bolts of healthy eating. NOW they decide to use the feel-good buzz-word "holistic." It was always holistic, they're actually skewing more toward emotions now than being actually holistic. Works for some, not for me so much anymore.
  • sreis25
    sreis25 Posts: 1 Member
    I am also a WW transplant. Haven't actually cancelled my membership but considering it. I lost approx 60lbs about a yr ago on WW but then life got in the way and I have managed to gain 30lbs back. So disappointed in myself but know I have to get my act together before I regain everything. Was ready to get back on track with WW and then they introduced the new program which is way too restrictive IMO. I enjoy my occasional sweets and that is what helps me to stay on track for the majority of the time knowing I can have a small treat now and then. WW has made the "sweets" so high in pts now that it's basically impossible to have them at all without either using a majority of your extra weekly pts or actually having to skip a meal. I know I won't be able to stick with such a restrictive "diet" and figure I'm better off saving the money and hopefully doing this on my own again with the help of MFP. Good luck to all!!
  • burghgrl
    burghgrl Posts: 9 Member
    WOW!! Whole lotta WW transplants here! Me too! What a fantastic FIND this has been! Ok...long story short,~ will turn 60 in one year and want to lose the extra ten that have accumulated since getting to "lifetime" two plus years ago. I'm on a verrry low saturated fat diet for MS (hugely successful) & transitioned to a vegan diet, some time ago. Looking for like minded buds! :)
  • NevadaKaren
    NevadaKaren Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also here because the new WW plan stinks. I signed up for three months without realizing what they had done, so now I'm doing that along with MFP until I can cancel WW and just do MFP. It will be an interesting comparison. Today, I blew through my 30 WW points by lunch time today and ended up over by 11 points (41 total), but finished the day with only 1289 calories (and I worked out for an hour earning an extra 265 so I'm under my MFP calorie goal). That 1289 calories was 41 WW points?? Crazy! 30 points would have only been about 950 calories - SO not healthy.
  • denese1026
    denese1026 Posts: 1 Member
    Right there with you! I've been on and off WW since 1991. I did the very best when they came out with the first version of points...after only a few days on MFP, I'm thinking its a lot like that. I'm such a picky eater, so this smart points program was killing me! Not to mention my SKINNY latte went from 3 to 8 points! I have always been die-hard WW bc of the freedom it gave me. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to jump ship.

I will say it's scary for me to step away from WW, but hoping this will work for me too
  • kcwwoa
    kcwwoa Posts: 19 Member
    I was a WW member many times and had my best success on their selection plan. I needed to learn how to eat. I like MFP because the online database works well, the WW online website often has problems which don't seem to get addressed timely. I'd like to create a good online support system here too.
  • pitcherday

denese1026 wrote: »
    Right there with you! I've been on and off WW since 1991. I did the very best when they came out with the first version of points...after only a few days on MFP, I'm thinking its a lot like that. I'm such a picky eater, so this smart points program was killing me! Not to mention my SKINNY latte went from 3 to 8 points! I have always been die-hard WW bc of the freedom it gave me. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to jump ship.

I will say it's scary for me to step away from WW, but hoping this will work for me too

It was scary for me to walk away from WW as well, having been a member for >10 years and lost 120lbs on it. I was very successful my first week on MFP, so I feel a lot better about it. My weight loss had stalled. The biggest reason that I think this will work for me because I enjoy having the social media support system. My news feed is very positive and uplifting, and people try their best to help people having issues with diet and life. I jumped around to different leaders, I never just stuck with one meeting,unless geographically there was no other choice. People could be negative there the way they aren't on here. I am fine being accountable to my online friends/myself, so the need for meetings isn't there for me anymore. I wish you luck with your new journey on MFP!
  • melodyjmm
    melodyjmm Posts: 4 Member
    I'm moving over from WW too! Points Plus worked for me last year and I lost 30lbs but I still have 30 to go and I don't think Smart Points is going to do it. That and I can't afford it anymore. I'm nervous about MFP, for some reason I fear it's not as accurate? But I think I get a little too hung up on the little details and afraid I've made a mistake or something but I think it's going to work, at least I know I"m going to give it a good try! I've been tracking both this week (my WW membership runs out in a few days) and I have noticed that my WW points run out a lot sooner than my 1500 calories do.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Hi, I just wanted to add my thoughts to the discussion. I've posted this from another Weight Watcher transplant thread that I replied to as there have been several since the new WW plan roll out.

Lifetime WWs member here but I much prefer MFP. I made goal once on WW, hence the Lifetime membership, but it was a slippery slope back to gaining weight for me. Would lose and gain, lose and gain so I cycled through a couple of point plans.

For me, the problem was not counting most fruit and veggies. I was eating the wrong macros for me and couldn't sustain that long term. Once I found MFP and began counting calories in / calories out for everything and adjusted my macros to more protein and healthy fats, lowering carbs slightly I found success.

It's been almost 2 years and I've dropped 52 lbs. I've been in a healthy BMI weight range since February, 2015. MFP and a Fitbit Charge HR have kept me successful for almost 2 years now. I would not go back to Weight Watchers, but WW has worked in the past for many people.

I'd like to add that now that Oprah Winfrey has 10% ownership in the company, thus a vested financial interest, and well documented weight issues, I imagine her influence will be felt as far as the type of program WWs offers. Another aspect is her huge fan base which she will bring along with her to grow the WWs brand. I think this is just the first salvo in a re-invented WWs.
  • pitcherday
    edited January 2016
    I am glad you have been so successful as a transplant/former LT member, @trina1049 ! I am seeing good results as well, adjusting the macros is a great feature. Paying for one year of MFP is the same as one month of WW, so I love that aspect as well. I just got an Apple Watch and am very happy with the integration. I think the Oprahfication of Weight Watchers is this idea of being able to set your own goal weight, or goal (like fitting in some clothes), and you can make goal and get the charm and celebrate. However... you cannot make Lifetime unless you are in the BMI range, so it's just lip service, just like these new FitPoints. You can rack up tens of them for doing hardly anything, so it's just a feel-good tool since they don't want you to eat them. The weight record is now called "My Success Story," with little emoticons to circle before you weigh, indicating how you feel about the week before you see the number. I agree that your weight loss journey is more than just a number on the scale, but they're trying to push the idea that it's the thing that matters the least. Well, it's the first thing you do when you walk in the door... having "me" time is a great thing, but you have to deal with your environment and social factors as well.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    I agree with you @pitcherday. OW is all about that feeley good stuff, so they'll probably integrate more and more of that kind of process into the program. I tired of the meetings pretty quickly (not a group person) and also that the leaders pushed WWs products constantly. I prefer to weigh myself without others around. I initially lost a bit over 30 lbs the last time on WWs (I was a three-peater) but I guess I was just ready to go it alone after regaining for the 3rd time. There's also the expense as well.

Instead of following some company plan and paying for it, I decided it was time to take control, educate myself about nutrition, and MFP helped with that. I read all the stickies about calories in / calories out, TDEE, BMI, etc. What I didn't understand I researched further. It was my Ah,ha! moment. Everything fell into place. Haven't looked back since.

• amysant
    amysant Posts: 104 Member
    I am also a former lifetime WW member. I gained 10 pounds, had quit going to meetings, and went back in October. I didn't love the new program rolled out in December, I don't like the pushing of artificial sweetners and "punishment" for eating healthy fats like coconut oil and organic ghee or grass-fed butter. I liked that exercise was on it's own (not a means to eat more food by adding points back in.) I was extremely disappointed in the roll out. My ap didn't work most of the time, so I was unable to log in during the day. I was not getting use of my $49/month at all. I quit with a still 2 weeks paid for, and came back to MFP.
    The weekly weigh-in at WW was motivating, so I am holding myself more accountable at MFP. I would LOVE to increase my friends here for support so please add me add me!
  • pitcherday
    Last week was the first week I had a gain using MFP. (MFP showed a loss, not sure why, now I just have more ground to make up). I went over my calorie target every day, and didn't make wise choices in what I did eat, so I knew a gain was coming.

When I stepped on the scale, something different happened. Not that I didn't gain weight, but in how I felt mentally about the gain. I was just like "all right, moving on…" and considered how to retool my diet for the upcoming week. When I had a gain at the scale at WW, I felt like a failure. I felt defeated already about the upcoming week. I discovered that being accountable to someone else was not a positive for me anymore, it was a detriment.

I noticed people in my news feed had public diaries. I thought "whoa, I don't want people seeing what I eat," but then I read a few. It's not only the people who eat super healthy and don't go over their calorie goal with public diaries, it's people who go over and eat fast food and pastries sometimes as well. When I was at WW, the meetings helped me feel like I was in the same boat as a lot of people, sharing their challenges (and sharing mine out loud) and it fostered a sense of support and belonging. I wasn't feeling that way anymore. I wasn't getting much out of the meetings. They were actually making me feel bad and hopeless. I stayed because it was always beat in my head that the only livable and sustainable way to lose weight is with WW. US News & World Report's best diet for all those years. I read that, and yes, it beat out the other diets, but not by very much, and it outlined negatives that were present in the plan as well. People who go to meetings lose 10 times as much and keep it off longer was a mantra, etc.

There are a lot of people on MFP who are successful at losing and maintaining. I will be one of them. I am making my diary public (to friends), because I think THAT is the accountability I need. My online friends here are the kind of support I need now. I have moved past what WW was providing and I am glad they came up with a plan I didn't like, because it made me see I needed a new start… elsewhere.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    @pitcherday " They were actually making me feel bad and hopeless. I stayed because it was always beat in my head that the only livable and sustainable way to lose weight is with WW. US News & World Report's best diet for all those years. I read that, and yes, it beat out the other diets, but not by very much, and it outlined negatives that were present in the plan as well. People who go to meetings lose 10 times as much and keep it off longer was a mantra, etc."

OH MY GOODNESS! This is me to a tee! I am so glad to see someone articulate what I've felt with WW for so long. I love MFP, I'm no longer a meeting person and I feel like I could run those meetings. I'm not a rah-rah type of person either. I lost 120 lbs however, I've put on 35 - 40 lbs in the last year. I want to stop before it's more. I re-joined WW and I'm hating it. I know I need to totally commit either here or there but it's so been beat in my brain that I can't succeed unless I'm doing WW. It's mental agony daily. I sent you a friend request. I'm loving all the reponses here if anyone else wants to be friends I'd love it.
  • triple3dawn
    triple3dawn Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm a few months late on this thread but i just changed over to MFP from WW and was glad to find others. I stuck with the smartpoints and it worked when I stuck to it, i just didnt stick to it.

I gained 30lbs when I injured my foot, which still isnt right... Lost the first 6lbs on my own with MFP and got stuck so I joined WW for about a year. I lost 10lbs on WW. Not much for a whole year, but I kept it off and I learned some valuable lessons about not fearing the number on the scale and not quitting just because I blew it at a party one night.

I mostly got bored and frustrated with WW, which wasnt working great for me and cost way too much money. The program change took away a lot of my favorite foods and pushed Oprah on me. I've done a way better job than she ever has of losing weight and keeping it off and I dont have a personal trainer or a personal chef like she does. I found her "inspiration" insulting.

Also the meeting topics changed to feely stuff about me time and less practical ideas about how to not binge eat and how to set yourself up for success in the food department. When I joined they were doing a series of topics for a few weeks with in-depth information about vegetables and which ones do what for your body. When I quit they were telling me to take a few moments out of my day to breathe deeply.

I'm not mad at WW. I think i would have done better on the program if Id been able to exercise. so that's 10lbs lost without much exercise at all and fairly regular screw ups. And I did learn a lot about myself and now not to sabotage myself. I got better at it, even though I fell off the wagon and couldnt get back on towards the end there.

Thats when I realized i was just plain bored w/WW which was costing me a fortune. I wasnt getting back to it because I didnt want to do it anymore. So it was time to try something else. So here I am at MFP again. It feels fresh and I'm back to eating some of the things WW took away from me which makes me happy.

Thanks for reading all that if you made it that far.

I liked my WW people, so I hope some of you will add me as a new MFP friend.

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Also did ww several times. Did not hear good things about the new program and I always quit if I missed meetings. Can't give up butter and am not fond of artificial sweeteners (except in my Diet Coke which I am scaling back on big time). Since I have pcos low carb works best for me. Feel free to add me, I have a lot to lose and can always use more support.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    I'm a current member but go for the meetings and w/in. I do t follow the program.
    I find mfp easier to track with and this site is FREE!!

Please feel free to add me to your friends list