Help with Maintaining Results

Options
Hey Everyone,
So I have this tendency of getting in really good shape, and then not even plateauing, but rather having a bad week (diet and exercise wise) and then saying F-it for a month or two. Then I start up again and getting in good shape once again.
The most recent example of this: Exactly a year ago I was a fat 205 lbs (5'11"), hadn't worked out in months because it was my last and most difficult semester of college. I started back up with working out casually and got down to about 190 lbs by January. Then, I got real serious, working out 6 days a week, eating incredibly healthy, and was in the best shape of my life by March, weighing 175 lbs and ripped.Then, I had a busy week of parties, going to baseball games, ate and drank my face off basically. On a good week I would work out twice, and eat crappy regardless, and after 2 months I was back up to 190.
I'm currently 2 weeks into serious working out and diet again, and I know that in 2-3 months I'll be in shape again, however this time I want to mentally prepare for when I reach my goal. What are some good tips that people have that can help me mentally prepare for maintaining my fitness goals, and/or quickly rebound from a bad week?

Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Get this "bad week" mentality out of your head. Bad day? Yes. But don't let the bad day equal 7 bad days. If I have a day where I ate a lot (drinking, out to dinner, social event, etc.) I just dust myself off and start fresh the next day. For me, that is the only way to keep going. Forgive yourself for the bad day and don't beat yourself up-life happens! But ALWAYS move on the very next day. Not the next week, the next month, but the very next morning.
  • hanaspursfan
    Options
    Hiya! I have maintained weight loss for 3 years. My tips would be:
    Strength training 2-3 times a week, 15-60 minutes depending on how you feel, or how much time you have.
    Some cardio sessions, 30 minutes or more, 4-5 times a week.
    Never eat carbs after 6pm
    Keep a calorie diary for life - even include mouthfuls - such as handfuls of crisps/chips that you may pinch off a friend/child!
    If you know that you are eating out, have low fat, protein based meals before and after, so you know you can get away with the big meal and the next day cut your calories down a little!
    Have a treat each day, just don't have seconds!
    No or very little alcohol!
    Drink water before each meal and during each meal and throughout the day.
    I also keep a pack of sugar free hard boiled sweets, I have a few in the evenings if I have sweet cravings. Werther's original are great!

Hope that helps!