Plant-based Dishes

Options
One of my goals this year is to eat more plant-based. Recipe suggestions?

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you, RodaRose! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Bean soups - split pea soup, black bean soup, lentil soup, etc.
    Sandwich wraps with hummus, baba ganoush, or other mashed beans
    Broccoli and peanut stir fry
    Tofu stir fry
    Beans and rice
    Beans and cornbread
    Salads
    vegetable lasagna
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    There is a lentil, chickpea stew on eating well I am planning to try this week. It sounds pretty good even with my hoard of meat eaters at home.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Most of my food is plant based. One of my favorite dinners (and super easy) is a big pile of roasted veg with a poached soft egg on top. The yolk makes a sauce. I love it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    Most of my food is plant based. One of my favorite dinners (and super easy) is a big pile of roasted veg with a poached soft egg on top. The yolk makes a sauce. I love it.

I do something similar! I partially cook diced vegetables in a skillet, then top with an egg or two, cover and cook everything until the egg is ready. Sometimes I top it with salsa.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite vegetable based dishes was adapted from something I had in a local restaurant several years ago. Chop up a bunch of spinach, onions, asparagus and zucchini. Saute in olive oil. Add a can of coconut milk and 1-2 Tbsp of good curry powder (I like Penzey's hot curry powder). Simmer for a bit. Serve over Basmati rice. Sometimes I add tofu if I need some extra protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This site isn't active anymore, but I've gotten some good ideas from it:

http://veganyumyum.com/

Also, 101cookbooks.com
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Could make a spag bol with sliced courgette and onion fried in a little oil, add chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, kidney beans or chick peas, tom puree, dried herbs, smoked paprika, soya mince and thicken sauce with a teaspoon of cornflour and a little water, loads of black pepper, knob of butter or spread on the spag if liked, torn fresh basil - yummy!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to an 80% plant based diet. I have found most of my recipes on pinterest!
  • oceansideangoras
    oceansideangoras Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivore cookbooks are great. Learn to season your food, and learn that a plate doesn't need to have meat :smiley: While I eat fish, I don't eat other meats, and a lot of foods I make, are good enough no one even notices. I even make an amazing mushroom gravy.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have been trying to eat more plant based as well
  • yoga_mel
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • yoga_mel
    Options
  • yoga_mel
    Options
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a plant based diet challenge for the month of January. My diary is open if you need some ideas :). I also have recipes if you would like.
    Good Luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I made the lentil chickpea stew last night and it was a big hit. The cumin and black pepper gave it a meaty quality. I also make a soup with oatmeal and spinach that everyone thinks has meat in it. If you use "meaty" spices like cumin and curry many people don't even miss the meat.