Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

need to lose 100+lbs

I currently weigh 312lbs and goal is 160. Im only 23 and 5'3. in 4 years ive gone from 163lbs to my current weight. Any tips or meal ideas that might help please feel free to share with me! Im a snacker and a picky eater so sometimes its a struggle to stay motivated and not to eat junk. But i really want to change! I also has pcos which makes it difficult to lose weight but i know i can do it! Hoping to find postive friends to help keep me motivated

Replies

• LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    You could separate the foods you like to snack on into individual servings. That way they're ready to go and you may be less likely to binge.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    For snacking it's really helpful for me to have everything in single-serve sizes. So if you have to have Cheezits or something, separate it into single serving baggies so it's easy to grab one, eat it, and log it. Popcorn, when air popped, is great for snacking because it makes so much volume but has fewer calories than some other things you could eat.

And don't think you have to live without the junk. Just because your whole calorie goal can't (or shouldn't, I guess) be made up of Ding Dongs doesn't mean you can't have one if your goal allows for it. Sometimes I overeat with the ice cream because I limit it too much. It's a lot easier if I just let myself have it when I crave it, and just don't let myself eat the whole carton.

I don't know if any of that is the kind of help you wanted, but hopefully it's useful! Welcome aboard!
  • TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    I sent you a friend request :) Another gal here with PCOS.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    I've currently lost 101 lbs. I had it up to 110 lbs lost, but I've been stress eating a lot. Unfortunately it happens, especially when you have a sweet tooth. The biggest thing I did was not to set too high of a goal to begin with. It's great to say you want to lose 100+ lbs, but when you do that and see the numbers not going as fast as you want it's easy to get discouraged and say "It's okay to go crazy today." It isn't. Having a cheat day is nice once and a while, but I've found that for me personally it always ends in a "cheat week" before I get back on track. Set a goal of 10 lbs to start off with. When you reach that, set a slightly higher goal. Keep setting incremental goals and you will keep your mind more focused.

Also, do go into full on "starve myself" mode. You are overweight and your body has gotten used to a certain level of caloric intake. Shutting it all down at once will make you miserable. Start off small with your goal. Let MFP help set your calories and go from there. Set it up to lose 1 lb a week. It's tempting to go big, but don't push yourself so hard mentally that you give up too soon. Get started slowly and build up to a solid number for you that will keep your appetite in check.

Make sure you look into foods with high protein and lower carbs. Don't get rid of all carbs right away. Go slowly. Higher protein foods will make you feel more full for longer while carbs will satiate your appetite but it won't last long. I like eggs for breakfast with a little bacon on the side to get my day going. Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly hungry I'll have half a bagel or a piece of toast. Easy to make in the morning and it should keep you full for a good chunk of your early day.

Good luck. Just remember that being successful is doing the small things that matter each day. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Hi OP. I'm in a similar boat, I need to lose 180lbs (eek!) to be the perfect weight for my height (although I used to love my body when it had a little extra weight on).
    I've sent you a friend request, in case you need some moral support or an ear to grumble at from someone who can totally sympathise :)
  • craftynerdmama
    craftynerdmama Posts: 18 Member
    Hi there! I'm in a similar boat -- I have over 100 pounds to lose to get to a healthy weight. I also have PCOS and am trying to have a baby, which creates its own issues. I also have issues with snacking and I will second what xLyric said -- portion everything out! If there are snacks that you really love that aren't super healthy, as soon as you buy them, put them into single-portion bags and write how many calories/fat/etc. are in them. This helps me to have a visual reminder of how much I need to adjust my daily plan to allow for something I want. Most of the time, I realize it's not worth it. On top of that, buy snacks that ARE healthy, like fresh veggies, and do the same thing -- cut them up and put them in pre-portioned baggies. Then you don't make the excuse that you can't nibble on those celery sticks because they're not washed/clean/cut (not that I speak from experience or anything...ahem).

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but hear me out: when it comes to eating healthy snacks, especially veggies, a really common 'excuse' not to eat them is that they're boring to eat plain. I had it grilled into my head that my preferred accompaniment (ranch dressing) was AWFUL and there's no reason to eat it, etc. Well... personally, I say screw that. If eating 75 calories worth of ranch dressing keeps me from eating 300 calories worth of chips, I don't see what the problem is right now. Later, sure, if you start to plateau a little bit or don't see the weight coming off the way you want, maybe reevaluate and try some other kind of dip or try to get accustomed to eating them plain. But if the little bit of dip gets you on the right track, go for it. And that's my general philosophy on things. We still eat mayonnaise in our house, we still have cheese and bread... and while our intake of it has drastically changed, at first, the focus was that it's better to eat what we have here than to pig out at McDonald's eating who knows what. Baby steps. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to get it right all at once because spoiler alert: you won't. You'll make mistakes. You'll crave something you "shouldn't" have. You'll forget to measure something or end up at a restaurant without nutrition info. Whatever. *kitten* happens. It's easy to get completely derailed when you think you've screwed everything up. But if you take things one step at a time, you can become accustomed to it and then ease yourself into the next step. And then the next one, and the next one, etc. Eventually, maybe you'll have what others might call an 'ideal' diet, but maybe you'll find a place that's ideal for YOU and you can find success and happiness, which seems to be elusive here in this weight-loss world sometimes.

Feel free to add me as a friend! :) Despite falling off the wagon a few dozen times, I'm happy to provide tons of moral support and advice or anything else!
  • andread123
    andread123 Posts: 28 Member
    I also have 100 lbs to lose and have PCOS! Ladies, feel free to add me as a friend too!
  • dakotamyers2010
    dakotamyers2010 Posts: 23 Member
    I have over 100 pounds to lose, have lost -55 so far, and also have PCOS. I started off at 313 lbs, so we a lot in common. (26 years old and 5'4) Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • chelleR34
    chelleR34 Posts: 5 Member
    Same boat. I need to lose 138lbs to be a healthy weight for my height 5ft 6inches. I also have PCOS.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    having lost 70 pounds myself over the past year (and 30 to go), i might suggest working with smaller goal limits. Start with 10 pounds. then when you reach that, do another 10. so on and so on. It gives you a greater sense of achievement while still providing manageable goals that don't seem so far away.

Also, if you haven't already, get a digital food scale, and learn to WEIGH (not measure in cups) your food properly.
  • iShineBright_27
    iShineBright_27 Posts: 29 Member
    Me personally, I've always struggled with sticking to diets and I'm a picky eater too. Personally I found reverse dieting the best way to figure out how your body works, how it intakes food and how it processes food for fuel and not fat! Once I found out the balance that best suits my body, I adjust my carbs & fats to increase my metabolism rate and then a mini cut to see more definition in my muscles. I started at 130lbs which is pretty healthy for my height and an 18% body fat... 60 days later I'm at 126-128lbs and 15% body fat.

Feel free to ask me how to reverse diet and/ or how to count your macros!

I work out about 6-7 days a week for about 2-3 hours, mostly weights and cardio here and there. How often you eat is KEY!! You want to be eating about 4-6 meals a day, with the portion rule of fist size of veggies, fist size of fruit, and palm size of protein! If you can't do that due to work or anything, I make sure to fit a protein shake inbetween meals I know I wont have time to sit down and eat a solid meat to keep your body in an anabolic state. Also, you want to make sure you are always eating a protein & a veggie every 3 hours to keep your body always burning fat and maintaining lean muscle! Another thing to keep in mind for your diet is fish about 2-3x a week or at least be taking fish oils everyday, which I do!

Lastly, SUPPLEMENTS are going to be a HUGE help in losing fat, maintaining or whatever the fitness goal is! Multivitamins, fish oils, protein powder (isolate & whey) are going to be the main ones but there's more products out there that can help you enhance your results!

I hope this helps anybody reading this! Feel free to ask me any questions! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    edited January 2016
    Me personally, I've always struggled with sticking to diets and I'm a picky eater too. Personally I found reverse dieting the best way to figure out how your body works, how it intakes food and how it processes food for fuel and not fat! Once I found out the balance that best suits my body, I adjust my carbs & fats to increase my metabolism rate and then a mini cut to see more definition in my muscles. I started at 130lbs which is pretty healthy for my height and an 18% body fat... 60 days later I'm at 126-128lbs and 15% body fat.

Feel free to ask me how to reverse diet and/ or how to count your macros!

I work out about 6-7 days a week for about 2-3 hours, mostly weights and cardio here and there. How often you eat is KEY!! You want to be eating about 4-6 meals a day, with the portion rule of fist size of veggies, fist size of fruit, and palm size of protein! If you can't do that due to work or anything, I make sure to fit a protein shake inbetween meals I know I wont have time to sit down and eat a solid meat to keep your body in an anabolic state. Also, you want to make sure you are always eating a protein & a veggie every 3 hours to keep your body always burning fat and maintaining lean muscle! Another thing to keep in mind for your diet is fish about 2-3x a week or at least be taking fish oils everyday, which I do!

Lastly, SUPPLEMENTS are going to be a HUGE help in losing fat, maintaining or whatever the fitness goal is! Multivitamins, fish oils, protein powder (isolate & whey) are going to be the main ones but there's more products out there that can help you enhance your results!

I hope this helps anybody reading this! Feel free to ask me any questions! :)

your body does not care how often you eat. only about how many calories you consume, and how many you burn

and unless you have a deficiency in a certain vitamin, supplements are totally unnecessary and will not affect weight loss at ALL. stop spreading pseudo bro science.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    It is possible folks! I have lost over 150 lbs in 18 months and am happy to support others on the same journey. I started at 320 lbs and was under 160 just before christmas. I gained over the holidays but am back on track and have just a few more to lose to be back at half my original weight. It does work, logging everyday and not giving up if you have a bad day or two.....
  • RobertHolland567
    RobertHolland567 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm in it too, anyone that wants to add me I'm looking to loose 80-100lbs I started Jan. 1st weighed 330 lbs I'm 6'4" and was very active until 2 years ago when I was involved in a industrial accident at work, after multiple surgeries I'm currently at 60% into my recovery. I have become a food addict and suffer from depression, high blood pressure, anxiety, head aches, arthritis, and it's time to get the weight off. Do to my limitations I have few exercise options so I am really trying to control my carbohydrates it tough but it's time.