Living with depression and exercise

Options
So for the past 8 months I've been under a huge spell of depression. Barely leaving the house, lost a lot of friendships because of it. I basically wake up, sit at my computer, eat, and sleep. I've gained 20 pounds because of this.

Anyways. I'm ready to start trying to overcome this instead of letting it control my life. I know exercise is a great natural anti depressant. But I need advice on something I can easily start with. It hurts to even stand long enough to take a shower right now. I've barely moved for months and I don't sleep anymore.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    While exercise is a good natural anti depressant, it doesn't work all that great for major depression in my experience. What helped me most was starting on an AD, giving that some time to kick in (about 2-6 weeks) then starting in with daily activity. Showering, getting mail, doing dishes, and working my way up from there. Depression is a difficult thing to deal with. I hope you get the help you need.
  • bethlvick
    bethlvick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey sweet girl,
    I was you once. I've been there, I promise.
    Small steps are key. Don't try to overwhelm yourself, and don't get down on yourself. You are your own strength.
    Try taking a walk around your neighborhood or down the street. It doesn't have to be long, enough to get you out of the house. But getting out of the house is also key. Ask your mom or dad to take a walk with you, or if you have pets, walk them.
    Call one of your really good friends who you know you can trust and ask them if they want to go take a walk around the mall. Or, if you're not ready for confrontation just yet, take a walk around the mall by yourself. (It's great people watching!)
    Your first step is to take that first step. No one can force you to do it, it's all up to you. It's a matter of you saying out loud, "I am bigger than this and I can beat it."
    Take it from someone who knows, it won't get better unless you seek help. It's hard as crap because it's the last thing you want to do, but once you take that first step, you will continue. You might take a few steps back along the way, but you'll keep moving forward. I promise!
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have bi-polar depression so my lows are LOOOOOOOW....we are talking no way out low and I was in the same place as you. Exercise definitely helped me, both the actual exercise but also the routine - it gave me something to aim for. However it wouldn't be enough on its own so I now take meds, have routine catch ups with a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist, and am carrying on the exercise.

I still have my low days but they are becoming less frequent and I doubt they will ever go away completely but I can get by, quite happily on some days.

Please do seek help from a medical professional before it spirals lower and good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in an antidepressant, I've tried a number of anti-depressants over the years and like Wellbutrin the best, as it is a little speedy, which helps motivate me to exercise.

For exercise, start where you are, which may be just going to get the mail. Try to walk a little further each time.

We have a long thread on Depression here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10058170/depression-and-weight-loss/p1

You'll see that you are not alone :)
  • CurvyBlossom
    CurvyBlossom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure I want to leave the house. Everyone tells me it'll just make me feel better if I get out and do thing with people. But when I did a few times for some Christmas events I just felt worse, I wanted to go home the entire time and when I got home I just felt more useless than before.

I've had depression since I was 13 (I'm 23 now). I've been on and off all sorts of medication and nothing ever seems to help. And I've never had it as bad as its hitting me right now.

I just remember the entire year that I was 19 I didn't feel depressed at all. I had moved 1200 miles away from my home town and was very involved in school life, had many many close friends, and stuff to do every single day. We would all workout together in the morning before classes. I was a very happy person. No meds needed.

I just want to get back to that. But I don't feel like that'll ever happen. Because I'm not in college anymore and all my friends are thousands of miles away.

Sorry for ranting. Even if no one reads it feels good just to type everything out...
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Read Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey. I had Major Depression for five years, now in remission, and this was the single most important source of information I ever found, not just in terms in terms of learning but also in being motivated to manage my condition. I struggled with getting to the gym, partly, I now realize, because I didn't know just how important exercise is for mental health, or cognitive health in general. Yes, it will transiently boost your mood immediately after a workout, and we all hear about this "endorphin rush" but that's probably the very least of exercise's benefits for mood disorders.

After I read Ratey's book my motivation went through the roof, and I haven't missed a day in months (except Christmas). And without exercise, therapy and antidepressants notwithstanding, I am almost positive that I would not be in remission as of now.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been mentioned. I just want to wish you the best. Oh wait, I find going outside and getting some sunlight to be helpful. It only takes a few minutes at a time. I take medication, keep a routine that includes exercise, and have had numerous rounds of psychotherapy. If you're in pain and not sleeping, it sounds like it's time for professional help, along with all the things you can do for self-care.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyways. I'm ready to start trying to overcome this instead of letting it control my life. I know exercise is a great natural anti depressant. But I need advice on something I can easily start with. It hurts to even stand long enough to take a shower right now. I've barely moved for months and I don't sleep anymore.

I have a "round the block" circular walk of ~30 minutes, I can do it in the dark if I want to avoid bumping into anyone (which is fairly unlikely anyway). It's 2.9 km about 1.8 miles

Can you find a route like this, or perhaps a 10 or 20 minute version to start with. You can walk it as slow as you like, and if you stick to the same route you can see how your time improves or use mapmywalk.com or similar to chart your progress.

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are. Try to think of this in smaller steps. You are overwhelmed by the end result. The idea of life being normal seems daunting, and impossible to you right now. Break it up into things like taking a walk around the block, or maybe right now your accomplishment is to get dressed and take a shower every day. Sometimes these things are like building blocks.

Yoga really helps me, and the stretches might make your body feel better due to the lack of activity. YouTube has a ton of videos that you can watch in your house.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't think I was as down as you sound, but I had the same issue. The people that I talked to about the depression would tell me to get out more. I had the same reaction of just wanting to go home. Then anxiety would hit and I didn't just want to go home, I HAD to go home. I talked to my doctor, tried a couple different medications, but therapy ended up getting me to a place that I could go out. I now go to the gym regularly and don't have near as many anxiety/panic attacks or bouts of depression. I won't say never, but less and less.

Different things work for different people though. Keep working on it, hopefully you have family and friends that are there for you and helping you through the rough time.
  • CurvyBlossom
    CurvyBlossom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Different things work for different people though. Keep working on it, hopefully you have family and friends that are there for you and helping you through the rough time.

I wish I could this was true. But they just see me as being lazy or just blowing them off all the time. My "friends" have already told me they want nothing to do with me anymore. Most people just says "time for new friends" and I wish it was that easy.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I wish I could this was true. But they just see me as being lazy or just blowing them off all the time. My "friends" have already told me they want nothing to do with me anymore. Most people just says "time for new friends" and I wish it was that easy.

I'm sorry, people need to be more understanding of depression. I was/am lucky to have friends that would do anything to help me through it and can now tell when I am sliding. They push me to get the help I need, even when it's not them being able to help me. Can you go to a therapist?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You have to exercise, take fish oil (3/day), and take a good B-Complex vitamin (2/day).
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

What's taken me a long time to learn is that people don't have to stay in your life forever. Sometimes friends are only with us for a season of our life. It's okay to let go. And not be bitter towards them, because no one can really understand what you're going through. Do it for yourself and just know that it WILL get better. Reach out to your family but once again just know that it's hard for other people to understand. But never stop searching and striving for a better future.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    But as for exercise, just a long walk in nature is awesome for some zen and to get your blood flowing. You can even listen to music, but just try to walk outside somewhere green.
  • MegaScorpion
    MegaScorpion Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am all too familiar with what you describe. What helped me the most is to see the spiral coming from a distance and start doing something about it. Like workout and hanging out with friends.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You may have a real physiological (medical) problem in addition to depression. You should make an appointment with a physician immediately and start exploring what's causing your extreme fatigue and pain.

I have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). My immune system attacks my heart and makes me very drowsy and not motivated to do anything as it all takes way too much energy. Anti-depressants do nothing for this. Anti-inflammatory drugs do.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Have you had talk therapy? I started seeing therapists in my early twenties, and wish I had started seeing one sooner. Friends get tired really quickly of listening to problems - your counselor/therapist has no choice but to listen and won't judge you.

I've suffered from depression all my life, along with dysthymia (chronic depression), and am now 60. When I'm in the depths, I can't get out of bed, which happened to me in January and February last year. Getting into a routine of weighing and logging my food on MFP actually helped me - I needed discipline, but "easy", no pressure discipline. Baby steps.

If you don't want to go out, and if you don't have one, look into getting a Wii or something similar for exercise, or just get some walking videos, like the ones by Leslie Sansone, and walk in your room/living room. Spend time here every day reading the Success Stories thread - it has helped me a lot. And when you go out, try not to think things like "I am all alone" or "I just want to go home" - try to do things, any things, to keep you out of the house, out of bed and out of your head. It's really hard, and I don't succeed a lot of the time, and sometimes I just have to stay in and curl up inside myself, but almost every time I go out, I find I feel a little better.

I feel for you, depression is a horrible place to live. I hope you start feeling better soon.