Protein shake recommendations?

Options
I'm looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced protein powder that is low carb and promotes weight loss. I was considering Shakeology, but $130/month is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    walmart - Six star "whey protein plus" five pound jug is $39.00 and it has 150 servings of 30 grams protein per serving.

Shakeology has more stuff in it than just protein and the couple I have tried were delicious but expensive..
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like Atkin's protein Shakes the best. Also, premiere protein shakes, they're 30g protein 160 cal and both are low sugar and carbs.
  • dmbfan22
    dmbfan22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you have a preference on the type of protein? I prefer plant based - I use Arbonne's Vegan protein. It is a pea protein, very easily digestible, does not increase estrogen (soy), and does not cause inflammation in the body (Whey).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jennymac74 wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced protein powder that is low carb and promotes weight loss. I was considering Shakeology, but $130/month is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just to clear up an apparent and common misconception in your opening post...

Protein shakes in and of themselves do NOT "promote weight loss"

Protein shakes are to supplement your protein intake if you're lacking in that macro. Period.

As for recommendations - this gets asked quite frequently on here, and my biggest takeaway from those threads is that there really isn't a standard recommendation. It's really a matter of personal preference. For every brand/type listed, someone inevitably will come along and say they "hate" that brand, and then list his/her favorite brand, which is then subsequently hated by the next person, etc.
  • aliscib
    aliscib Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read several articles comparing cost and value. I use the GNC lean shake. I really like them. I drink them before my runs. I used them before a 1/2 and a full marathon this year
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I just make my own shakes, thoigh they're usually post workout shakes just to get some protein in me. I usually do vanilla whey protein, vanilla almond milk, frozen fruit, flax or Chia seeds, and a little honey.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    dmbfan22 wrote: »
    Do you have a preference on the type of protein? I prefer plant based - I use Arbonne's Vegan protein. It is a pea protein, very easily digestible, does not increase estrogen (soy), and does not cause inflammation in the body (Whey).

Yay Arbonne! :) (Says a consultant of several years.)
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of MusclePharm Combat. The flavors are on point and everything mixes super well.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lean 1 from Nutrition 53.
    $1.90 per serving if you order on amazon. Certainly one of the better tasting ones on the market and will sate your appetite for around four hours. Solid nutrition and 20g protein. I've been on and off of them throughout my 80+ pounds of loss, about 7 months or so.
  • AngelJenny74
    AngelJenny74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Protein shakes are to supplement your protein intake if you're lacking in that macro. Period.

Thanks! I didn't mean to insinuate that they promote weight loss, I was just trying to say my intentions are to lose weight and not bulk up.
  • AngelJenny74
    Options

thanks dmbfan22, I wasn't aware of the "side effects" of the different types of protein...
  • AngelJenny74
    Options
    aliscib wrote: »
    I read several articles comparing cost and value. I use the GNC lean shake. I really like them. I drink them before my runs. I used them before a 1/2 and a full marathon this year

I was reading reviews on this one earlier today, there were some comments about it being too sweet tasting, but I guess you don't have an issue with that. Thanks for your feedback. :)
  • AngelJenny74
    Options
    I like Atkin's protein Shakes the best. Also, premiere protein shakes, they're 30g protein 160 cal and both are low sugar and carbs.

thank you for the recommendation, seems like a reasonable amount of cals...I've seen others that are 200 cals/serving
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Wheybolic flavors, they mix well and the flavor is strong enough that I can toss it in my shaker with 1/2 cup of cold coffee, 1 1/2 cups of cashew milk, and still taste the flavor. I like the extra liquid where some people like very little. Price is decent and the consistency is nice. I also have some MusclePharm that is pretty tasty but, a bit more thick. I use the Six Star Unflavored protein from Walmart to add to yogurt or hot tea and it mixes pretty well. There are sites where you can buy samples of multiple brands and try them out before deciding on a huge investment.
  • dlgood47
    dlgood47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't care for Shakeology, not just for the cost, but also the GI system distress. :) In addition I think it's more of a meal replacement than a barebones protein shake.

My brother, who researches these things extensively, recommends the Quest Chocolate shakes because he thinks the protein in them is the best. That's what I'm using right now. Flavor is good, texture is meh - it's that viscous foam type that many shakes have, not my thing but I live with it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

As for recommendations - this gets asked quite frequently on here, and my biggest takeaway from those threads is that there really isn't a standard recommendation. It's really a matter of personal preference. For every brand/type listed, someone inevitably will come along and say they "hate" that brand, and then list his/her favorite brand, which is then subsequently hated by the next person, etc.

This. My best suggestion is to get samples of different kinds of protein and see what you like.

And most things sold through MLM (like herbalife and shakeology) make all sorts of promises they can't support, and are just way overpriced protein and vitamins.
  • DorothyIndelicato
    Options
    The Jay Robb brand of Whey Protein is delicious! I am on a special diet and cannot use milk, but even made with water they are good. The vanilla is rich tasting, and the chocolate is not too sweet. I add just flaxseed oil and 5-6 frozen strawberries, sometimes using crushed ice to make it thick like a shake. It can be bought at GNC or on Amazon. My friend added yogurt and bananas and really liked that too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

thanks dmbfan22, I wasn't aware of the "side effects" of the different types of protein...

Many people don't have these same kind of side effects. Try different ones and see what you like. I have had no issues with whey.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Trutein. You can order samples from bodynutrition.com before you commit to a 2# tub. Vanilla Bean is my favorite, but I've had Cinnabun, Chocolate PB Cup, Pumpkin Pie, Red Velvet Cake, and Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie (I didn't like that one).
  • eminemsbrotherskittles
    eminemsbrotherskittles Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am a big fan of premier protein chocolate from Costco. 30 grams of protein and 170 calories. While not a powder, it is damn good and only 5 g carbs