IIFYM versus MFP

Options
My Fitness Pal has my protein goal set to 119 grams per day; however, when I calculated my macros on IIFYM, it shows my protein goals as 216.8 per day. Obviously, this is a big difference, so which one do I use?

Replies

• BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would use MFP unless you are weight lifting to build muscle mass. 216 sounds ridiculously high, even if you were bulking.
  • eminemsbrotherskittles
    Options
    Thats what I thought as well. I even changed the setting to fat loss! I think I will follow your advice and stick with MFP for now
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You can also adjust your MFP macros to raise the protein percentage from 20% to 25% or 30%. That way you'd be somewhere in between.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    .8 lbs of protein per LBM not total body weight
  • Choxsta
    Choxsta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too high for weight loss. Protein keeps you satiated for longer than carbs. It will also help reduce 'muscle wastage' when trying to lose weight. MFP is a bit outdated with its recommendations IMO. It still sets a default of 1200 calories for the average person trying to lose weight. Better to do some research and set your own calories and macros to something that you know you can stick to. I know for me 1200 is just not doable. I want to lose fat but I don't want to be miserable and I need energy for workouts.
    I've only just started IIFYM but have done paleo for 2 years and know from experience that higher fat and protein diets end up being naturally lower in calorie because you end up eating less hence lose fat. If you want to retain as much muscle as possible while losing fat you need to eat a lot of protein.
  • Anustrt4me
    Anustrt4me Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    what is IIFYM?
  • Choxsta
    Choxsta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    'If it fits your macros'. Google it and the website gives you a lot of info. Basically they just tell you to eat whatever you want as long as it fits your daily protein, fat and carb allowance (although carb allowance is small if you want to lose weight).
  • darinja80
    darinja80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    216 grams of protein is equal to 864 calories in protein alone. This seems pretty high but depends on your weight/goals/how much you workout per day/etc.
  • PJHendry91
    PJHendry91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should either get a dietician or someone who knows about macros to give you your macros for whatever your body goals are. I'm a female and I'm only 5'3 and I have 160g of protein per day.. So I don't think 200 is that much out. But then I train everyday too?