Yoga & Tai Chi

Options
I'm going to be starting yoga and tai chi next week... any advice for a beginner?

I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

I have a very bad back (surgery 9 years ago) but I want to meditate and feel grounded.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Talk to your instructor beforehand about any limitations and have fun
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Do tell your instructors about your back and stay up front so they can keep an eye on you. Listen carefully to your body and don't force yourself deeper into poses because the people around you can. Hopefully you are taking beginner/gentle/restorative type yoga. Don't be afraid to sit out poses and just observe. Enjoy!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    and if you don't like one teacher, feel free to try a different one. and if a class doesn't feel right, try a different one
    and have fun. Lila is a yoga concept, and it's about embracing enjoyment and fun and playfulness
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I didn't even think of talking to the instructor.

We have to start with the beginner classes, but we're very curious about hot yoga
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely should be familiar with the poses before trying hot yoga. I've passed out in hot yoga, lol. I have low blood pressure. I believe hot yoga is not advised for those with high blood pressure as well. Another problematic thing about hot yoga is that because the heat makes you more flexible, it's easier to over do stretches and get injured.

That said, hot yoga is very popular and many love it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, you definitely should be familiar with the poses before trying hot yoga. I've passed out in hot yoga, lol. I have low blood pressure. I believe hot yoga is not advised for those with high blood pressure as well. Another problematic thing about hot yoga is that because the heat makes you more flexible, it's easier to over do stretches and get injured.

That said, hot yoga is very popular and many love it.

I think it should also be said that how much you sweat is not necessarily proportional to calories burned. and it doesn't detox you. your liver and kidneys do that for you.

I would rather do ashtanga or power or vinyasa yoga as it burns more calories overall. (after getting a beginner base)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga, in the wintertime particularly! But as a general rule I like the heat and don't like the cold. I find my balance to be better doing hot rather than regular yoga and less muscle cramping, plus it just feels more relaxing to me.