eating after midnight

Options
So i sleep and wake up veryy late and normally stay up hours after midnight. I want to know that if i eat something after mignight, should i log it in the previous day (or current day, according to my sleep cycle) or the next day (that has just started since it's past midnight) in my food diary? Which day do these calories belong to? Do i follow my sleep cycle or the clock when it comes to logging?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to follow my sleep cycle so...if I eat something at like 1:00 am and I'm on the verge of going to bed, it gets logged on the "technically" prior day. So wake up on Tuesday, don't go to bed until Wednesday morning at 1:30 am, any food eaten prior to that gets logged on Tuesday.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter providing you are consistent. Just log the meals where you feel comfortable and stick to that routine, it won't make any difference providing you are are at the calorie deficit required for your weight loss goals
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter so long as you are being consistent with where you're putting it
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. It's basically how your calories average out over the week that matters rather than the exact day-to-day calorie split.

Some people have just one meal area and record midnight to midnight.

I have 6 "meals" labeled in 4-hour blocks and just record what I eat in the correct time block. I try to eat about 1/4th of my calories in each of the 4-hour blocks that I'm awake.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to do is fine. I personally prefer going off my sleep cycle because I do better waking up with what feels like a "clean slate."
  • nityamish
    nityamish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log it in the previous day record because I think my body burns those midnight calories with my previous day calories irl. Moreover, then I know if I'm exceeding my calorie goal which I usually do, if I eat late, and I can have a fresh start from next day.
  • mifii10
    mifii10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sleep cycle it is!! Thanks :)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who thought this thread would be about feeding Mogwai's?
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

No. That's the first thing I thought too!!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

No. That's the first thing I thought too!!

Yeah, I came planning to tell the OP not to worry about turning into a Gremlin if they ate after midnight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options

Dammit1 I can't believe I missed that reference!
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Not at all, I 100% intended to inform the OP of the gremlin metamorphosis and ensuing mayhem that would occur but a bunch of you beat me to it!!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For me, it's not a new day until I go to sleep or the sunrises.

1am-6am belong to the previous day up to the point I go to sleep. If the sunrises and I'm still awake then the next day starts.

And that's how I log.

Not many times when this is an issue though. The other day I was driving home at 2am, grabbed maccas, logged it on the previous day since I hadn't slept yet.

This way, when you wake up it's a new day with a clean slate food wise.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I work nights so anything I eat on my break at work is technically on the next day but I log my foods for the previous day based on my sleep cycle. I have a cutoff point of 8am where if I eat anything after then, it'll get logged into the next day.