Qsymia

Options
sherryred73
sherryred73 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I just started qsymia and when I searched it in here I found so many negative comments. When I called them a name I got warned for not being helpful. Is my fitness pal warning those that are writing hateful things like "stop looking for a quick fix" or "just diet and exercise " I am dieting and exercising regularly.
Please be kind we have all tried diet and exercise and sometimes need medical help. You don't know our stories. For example my thyroid was removed 7 years ago and I have been struggling to lose weight. This year I found out I have the breast cancer gene mutation and had a hysterectomy in March. It is not easy to lose weight with other health issues. Would you all tell me not to take my thyroid meds? How about a diabetic not to take their meds?
If anyone needs support there are good groups on Facebook. Please everyone be kind.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just started qsymia and when I searched it in here I found so many negative comments. When I called them a name I got warned for not being helpful. Is my fitness pal warning those that are writing hateful things like "stop looking for a quick fix" or "just diet and exercise " I am dieting and exercising regularly.
    Please be kind we have all tried diet and exercise and sometimes need medical help. You don't know our stories. For example my thyroid was removed 7 years ago and I have been struggling to lose weight. This year I found out I have the breast cancer gene mutation and had a hysterectomy in March. It is not easy to lose weight with other health issues. Would you all tell me not to take my thyroid meds? How about a diabetic not to take their meds?
    If anyone needs support there are good groups on Facebook. Please everyone be kind.

I'm sorry you're going through these struggles. But I fail to understand how being given honest and correct advice such as "Stop looking for a quick fix" or "Just diet and exercise" is somehow hateful? It may not specifically be what you personally may have wanted to hear, but that in itself makes it neither hateful nor untrue.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Taking appetite suppresents is not the same as taking a long term medicine to control a disease. You can't retrain your internal organs to start making things they've stopped making. You can retrain your body to lose weight.

Phentimine is a tool. If you use it as a kick to help in the beginning fine, but you better be learning to eat less and move more while you're at it because you can't take this kind of medicine forever. My husband is taking it and he's gaining weight because he's not trying. It's not a quick fix and you will regain weight if you don't learn.

Your diagnosis sucks, no two ways about it, but the world doesn't owe you a trigger warning. If you think telling hard truths is mean then I'd suggest staying off the internet.

And on a personal note, I'm a 35yo professional laboratory worker and mother. Don't police my tone, you're not my grandma.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Taking appetite suppresents is not the same as taking a long term medicine to control a disease. You can't retrain your internal organs to start making things they've stopped making. You can retrain your body to lose weight.

Phentimine is a tool. If you use it as a kick to help in the beginning fine, but you better be learning to eat less and move more while you're at it because you can't take this kind of medicine forever. My husband is taking it and he's gaining weight because he's not trying. It's not a quick fix and you will regain weight if you don't learn.

Your diagnosis sucks, no two ways about it, but the world doesn't owe you a trigger warning. If you think telling hard truths is mean then I'd suggest staying off the internet.

And on a personal note, I'm a 35yo professional laboratory worker and mother. Don't police my tone, you're not my grandma.

100% this!
  • happysize79
    happysize79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you still taking Qsymia? I just started it. How did you like it?
  • buckbrie
    buckbrie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and my doctor (dr Kushner in Chicago - great guy, knows his stuff) looked at my dozen or so print offs from myfitnesspal and said my diet & exercise is great but since it was only keeping me from gaining (1470 cal & exercise 3xs a week ) I should try qsymia to help.
    just started today
    been on topirimate before. lost 20lbs in 1.5 months but the weight loss stalled and symptoms were to great on the higher doses.

and guys those comments might not be 'hateful' but because theyre insensitive they feel hateful to the person who they are directed at.
    if you have never been in our shoes then you have absolutely no idea how frustrating this whole ordeal is