Turnips???

Options
saw turnips at the store and just decided to randomly buy them for fun. Never cooked with them before. Any suggestions or recipes? Roasted? Sautéed? Steamed? Thanks!(:

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes. Avoid :s

Beets, kolrabi and rutabaga are better options.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I like them mashed with potatoes or parsnips or in a stew. I'm not a big fan of them by themselves.

They can also add a nice bite when shredded raw into a slaw or salad.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Roasted or mashed are my two favorites. Pretty much any method of preparation you can do to a potato.

Traditionally, boiled and served slathered in butter (that's how grandma used to make them).

I'll also cut one up and toss it into soups.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've eaten turnips my entire life. Boiled with a little butter is delicious. But my favorite way to eat them (and my kids love them too) is raw with a little salt. Just peel them and cut into smaller pieces. They taste a little like a radish but much milder and sweeter. An interesting fact, if there has been plenty of rain that year, the turnip will be much sweeter. If there has been drought, it will be less sweet and have more of a bite to it like radishes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Equal turnip to carrot, boil and mash
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Have to ask OP do you not worry a leetle bit that your idea of fun has become buying turnips

Heheheheheheh
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Have to ask OP do you not worry a leetle bit that your idea of fun has become buying turnips

Heheheheheheh

Haha not literally for fun, but meant it in kinda like a "whatever, I'm gonna try them" mindset. Honestly, the only reason I bought them is cause I grabbed an extra produce bag and thought of grabbing something random lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    saw turnips at the store and just decided to randomly buy them for fun. Never cooked with them before. Any suggestions or recipes? Roasted? Sautéed? Steamed? Thanks!(:

I use them in place of potatoes in my soups and stews, just dice them and cook them just like you would a potato. They are also really good raw. They taste like a radish without the bite. We used to eat them raw all the time as kids with a little salt.
  • Ayebee299
    Ayebee299 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I cube them up and roast them with a little olive oil and salt. Thyme or sage taste good on them if you have any around. I actually really love roasted turnips and eat them all the time!
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Love them eat or roasted cut in quarters with oil and salt at 400 till soft or cut into small pieces and saute with onion tomato garlic and cumin in a little oil
    I like them just barely boiled in salted water but that makes your house smell farty
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    In for trying new recipes. Thanks!
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Boil them, then mash and roast/bake with leeks or onions. The turnips can be a little bitter, but the onion cuts it. GREAT for fiber and lower carb than potatoes.