Need more protein

Options
leehmpf
leehmpf Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm having trouble getting enough protein daily. I already eat yoghurt everyday and protein balls, I don't eat eggs and not sure what else I could put in my diet to up my protein without sabotaging my fat and Carb intake. Also, I dont eat meat. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do you like cottage cheese? Low cal, not bad on the fat and packs a good protein punch.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you can add a protein powder you like to oatmeal or smoothies. or eat protein bars as a go to meal or snack. do you like tofu? you can make tofu scrambles (like scrambled eggs) with extra firm tofu varieties. or stir fry dishes with tofu or tofu 'steaks' with whatever sides you like. do you eat any fish? i like tuna in salads or in pasta dishes (for pasta dishes i sometimes substitute noodles for shirataki noodles at 15 cals per serving). also try cottage cheese! you can dress it savoury or sweet depending on your toppings. or even eat it plain.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    For a Veggie person, Whey Protein Isolate is your best choice. Pea Protein a second choice.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, mushrooms, garlic.

I eat sunflower seeds and almonds, cashews etc but they will raise your good fats.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    switch to greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt
    lentils, beans
    tempeh, tofu
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fat is a minimum so don't worry about exceeding it

protein and fats together shouldn't increase your carb goal unduly

I'd suggest chicken breast / thighs - lean and high protein kick or any other meat / fish that you like

greek yogurt rather than normal - fat free is higher protein
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    aaaannnnnnd I totally missed the don't eat meats comment - sorry - do ignore the chicken comment

go for salmon or other fish then, beans, pulses

do you not like egg? egg white can work with cheese in it
  • leehmpf
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Only issue is that I don't eat any meat/fish/eggs or tofu. I do have Greek yoghurt every second day but gives me a stomach ache so I try not to eat too much of it. Perhaps I need to look into higher protein vegetables. And lentils and beans are definitely something I need to add to my diet!thanks guys
  • leehmpf
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I literally have eaten lentils/pulses and beans only a few times in my life so that's something I'll need to start eating
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So you don't eat meat/fish/eggs/tofu and you don't want to increase carbs/fat but you want more protein...

It sounds like you may need to be willing to negotiate on some of your standards as what is left is beans and dairy which will still increase fats and/or carbs.
  • RachelHargett1
    RachelHargett1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you ok with wheat gluten? Seitan may be an option if you are. It's a "meaty" type that strict vegetarians or vegans can eat without turning to tofu or soy products, and it's basically just protein that people can get very creative about flavoring and dressing up to go with dishes. The downside though is that it can be a acquired taste for some.

Other alternatives are protein powders which are available in soy, whey, casein, pea, rice and probably a bunch I've never heard of. Some protein blends even come with vitamin supplements as part of their mix and can also be used quite creatively.

If all else fails there are a million ways to use legumes and quinoa.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    try Kefir. It is like yogurt but it is fermented. High in protein, doesn't have lactose and very rich in probiotics,good for the gut. I make overnight oatmeal with it and add ground walnuts. Best flavor to me is blueberry. Alot of main stream grocery stores are starting to carry it.Yummm!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Do you eliminate that many foods on ethical or medical grounds?
    leehmpf wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. Only issue is that I don't eat any meat/fish/eggs or tofu. I do have Greek yoghurt every second day but gives me a stomach ache so I try not to eat too much of it. Perhaps I need to look into higher protein vegetables. And lentils and beans are definitely something I need to add to my diet!thanks guys
  • leehmpf
    Options
    Thanks very much I've never heard of seitan before so I will give it a go!
    Are you ok with wheat gluten? Seitan may be an option if you are. It's a "meaty" type that strict vegetarians or vegans can eat without turning to tofu or soy products, and it's basically just protein that people can get very creative about flavoring and dressing up to go with dishes. The downside though is that it can be a acquired taste for some.

Other alternatives are protein powders which are available in soy, whey, casein, pea, rice and probably a bunch I've never heard of. Some protein blends even come with vitamin supplements as part of their mix and can also be used quite creatively.

If all else fails there are a million ways to use legumes and quinoa.

• leehmpf
    Options
    Thanks heaps, this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for... things I've never heard of is always exciting. Will have to try some
    conniehgtv wrote: »
    try Kefir. It is like yogurt but it is fermented. High in protein, doesn't have lactose and very rich in probiotics,good for the gut. I make overnight oatmeal with it and add ground walnuts. Best flavor to me is blueberry. Alot of main stream grocery stores are starting to carry it.Yummm!!!

• leehmpf
    Options
    I do understand that obviously alternatives are going to increase my Carb and fat intake, I just find as a vegetarian/mostly dairy free person, a lot of my options are unhealthily high in Carb and fat, I just want something middle ground that isnt going to as I said sabotage my diet completely. But thanks for your thoughts anyway.
    So you don't eat meat/fish/eggs/tofu and you don't want to increase carbs/fat but you want more protein...

It sounds like you may need to be willing to negotiate on some of your standards as what is left is beans and dairy which will still increase fats and/or carbs.

• leehmpf
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Vegetarian is ethical reasons, I have been one for over 6 years and going back to it as a 'quick fix' jut isnt an option for me. A lot of people tell me that I should go back to meat to increase my protein and iron intake but my opinion is that there is always an alternative, which is exactly why I posted this for some other peoples input. And the lack of dairy is from genuinely feeling sick by it.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you eliminate that many foods on ethical or medical grounds?