Just started my diet

Options
I started my diet on Monday and not doing all that well as I have already agreed to go to the Chinese with work mates on Friday. What should I do.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can find an option on the menu that meets your calorie/nutrient goals and order that. Or you can eat beforehand and just have a drink with your co-workers (less fun).

Most of us ate out while we were losing weight -- you don't have to put your social life on hold.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Go to the Chinese.
    Make sensible choices.
    Consume a dietary intake that results in a manageable calorie deficit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could do
    1) ask for a take out box before you start eating, then when your food arrives you put half of your meal into the take out box for later
    2) order something like tofu with vegetables
    3) only eat half or 3/4 of your meal

Or just have whatever you like to have at a Chinese and enjoy! It won't necessarily hold you back on your diet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat out and drink all the time.

you have to learn how to make these common occurrences work within your daily calorie goals. this is why 'diets' don't' work long term. You have to learn how to eat/ balance out your foods for long term success.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i eat out and drink all the time.

you have to learn how to make these common occurrences work within your daily calorie goals. this is why 'diets' don't' work long term. You have to learn how to eat/ balance out your foods for long term success.

Exactly! I've eaten out several times this week and had wine on Saturday and my daily average for 1/2-1/8 (pre-logged) is at 1,370. I know if my Fitbit says I burn an average of 1,900 a day I can have my average go up to 1,400 and still lose weight. It's a lifestyle change so it's all about enjoying life and balancing the calories in vs out.

Edit: To say go out and enjoy that Chinese food and just eat less that day and on other days during the week
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are often lots of options at a Chinese restaurant. Skip sweet & sour, skip deep fried items, order something with lots of veggies, order lean meat (chicken, shrimp, etc). Use a small portion of rice (order it plain).

If your restaurant is not a chain, look up info from Panda Express, something along those lines. You can get some idea of what dishes to steer clear of.

The take out box is an excellent idea. Restaurant portions are so very big.
  • Deej1020
    Deej1020 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a small amount of Chinese yesterday and felt pretty down. However I had a lot of calories still remaining, plus I did an intense workout afterwards. You are going to fail your way into success. That's the best advice anybody gave me and the best advice for you. It's a journey. Don't beat yourself up. Write everything down. That has helped me. I get to see all I've done for the day and make plans to do better the following day. Find friends who are trying to change their lifestyle as you are and help one another. I struggle with the will to keep going all the time. The easier thing to do is so quit, but you have to persevere. Start off eating things in moderation and cutting things out. Little by little work your way up. Go get Chinese but order something on the lighter side with not too much grease and eat in moderation. That's all