Who else finds the gym boring?

Options
I don't know about y'all but I just don't like going to the gym it does not appease me and once I get there I just want to leave. I was a volleyball player and I loved doing physical activity that involved that but anything else count me out! Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hate going to the gym. Repetitive exercise bores me to tears. So I lift at home (doing quick full body workouts) and run.

I have a gym at work and once in a while I have to run inside on the treadmill. It is the worst 30-40 minutes of the week. :smile:
  • Deej1020
    Deej1020 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I'm by myself, sometimes yes. It's hard to motivate yourself and push yourself. Other times I just get in the zone and want to be by myself. Maybe try going with a gym buddy. Or find a work out class. I think that's so much fun. A all womens fitness class or dance class. Maybe take up swimming.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Using a machine might be boring. The gym isn't the only way to be active.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't do the things at the gym I find boring...such as cardio. There are a couple lifts I hate that I force myself to do, but all in all there's no way I could use the word "boring" because I work my butt off.
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too, from the YMCA to PF. I get bored with the machines and just walk around the weight room not really knowing what to do. However recently I joined a place ran by a couple of personal trainers. It has circuit training type classes that I love. Never same class twice. Boxing, TRX, kettle bells, medicine balls, free weights, jump ropes, steps, and more are all used in different ways depending if the focus is cardio or strength training. I am addicted as it keeps me guessing and my body confused. The best results ever as I have lost a total of 15 inches in the first 3 months. I could never get these results on my own or if I just joined an ordinary gym. Maybe there is something similar in your area.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    The gym is my sanctuary. My stress reliever. Other than time with my girls, the gym and the platform are where I want to be.
  • Lishieanne
    Lishieanne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym too... Until I started doing les mills classes. Absolutely love them! Met heaps of people who now keep me motivated.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Love heavy lifting in the gym. Never boring
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it's boring then you're probably just mailing in your workouts.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    6 am working out in my living room to a DVD. Stress free, peaceful and somewhat quiet. At night I get on my stationary bike and watch the news for an hour 2-3 times a week.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I guess I got used to it. 2-5 hours a day riding a bike trainer in the basement over winter must mean I can tolerate it decently.

Zwift makes it nicer for sure though
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I enjoy it, doesn't bore me one bit. It's a great stress reliever and for me it's a mood lifter on cloudy, cold 'blah' days when all I feel like doing is curling up in bed and sleeping.

I once read a great article by Henry Rollins (musician) about lifting weights. While the whole article is inspiring, I particularly like the last paragraph:

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total *kitten*. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Until you decide to fulfill your life goal of pumping iron on the moon.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Until you decide to fulfill your life goal of pumping iron on the moon.

Or you want to up your game and do it on Jupiter, where 200 pounds is 450 pounds.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. I have a programme that is for people who dont have alot of time. My workouts last no longer than an hour and I work my *kitten* off in that time - there is never time to be bored.

Maybe change your programme, do hiit on the treadmill rather than steady state - that really makes the time go faster
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I enjoy it, doesn't bore me one bit. It's a great stress reliever and for me it's a mood lifter on cloudy, cold 'blah' days when all I feel like doing is curling up in bed and sleeping.

I once read a great article by Henry Rollins (musician) about lifting weights. While the whole article is inspiring, I particularly like the last paragraph:

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total *kitten*. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

This +
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Me, I can't think of anything more boring in fact, it's just not for me at all. I've joined various gyms around where I live over the years and it's always the same, I dread going, but force myself, and never ever enjoy it while i'm there, even when busy doing the workouts, the entire time i'm just counting down until it's over. Running (outdoors) and yoga are my thing, I enjoy both of these immensely - each to their own, just do what makes you happy and motivated. :)
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's after I get done with the gym when I really feel alive.
  • ardentsunshine
    ardentsunshine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym, but I don't particularly enjoy it either. Right now, I'm doing my workouts at home with a DVD. When it's time to up the ante and start with the heavier weights, I'm going to have to start going back to the gym. In the mean time, I enjoy not having to drive to the gym.
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm more or less doing cardio exclusively now, but when I did more lifting I never found lifting boring. Doing the same circuit at the same weights can get boring, but if you are doing a progression plan there's the challenge of lifting ever increasing weights, potentially failing sets, breaking through plateaus, etc.

If someone is bored at the gym- I would ask are they following a routine or are they discovering their fullest physical potential?