Anyone with MS out there?

Options
swimmer301
swimmer301 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
Hi, I'm in the process of getting healthy and I have MS. It's not an excuse, but a challenge sometimes. I would love to have a support group. I would like to lose 70 lb.

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My dad had MS. He never took care of himself or did anything to try to slow its progression. I just wanted to say that by taking control of your health and your condition/illness/I'm-not-sure-what-the-appropriate-term-is, you are doing an amazing thing for yourself and for the people who love you. My dad's lack of effort made his family feel like he didn't care enough about us to try to stay healthy. Good for you for doing it! I admire your drive to get healthy!
  • swimmer301
    Options
    Thanks <3 I know it will help me in the long run. Right now my MS is considered Relapsing-Remitting and I haven't had a flare up for almost 3 years. Nows the time to get strong.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • oceansideangoras
    oceansideangoras Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I don't have MS but my sister does. She practices the Swank diet and is in full remission. Lots of rest and great food seems to drastically help slow the progression.
  • burghgrl
    burghgrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HI Swimmer301! Me too girlie...I've also, like oceansideangoras's sister, been on Dr. Swank's program for nearing 27 years. I was given "a few good years" back in 89! If you'd like to read about it...check out my profile. (think that's where I wrote all that!). BTW...before the diagnoses, I lost 80 pounds through the obsession I began when I quit smoking. That routine, was what brought on five exacerbations in six months.!! Yikes! I've had one, in all the years on Swank's program. If you'd like to chat...let me know! :)
  • swimmer301
    Options
    I don't think I've heard of the Swank diet. I'll have to look that up.
  • swimmer301
    Options
    Burghgrl,
    Yiked, five exacerbations...glad you are doing much better.
  • AnchorsIntoTheOcean
    Options
    I have muscular dystrophy and neuropathy. Charcot-Marie-Tooth, it's a progressive muscular atrophy.
  • swimmer301
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that.
  • lhamway1
    lhamway1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have MS, been relapse free for 3 years and embarking upon a 60lb weight loss. Sounds like we have a lot in common.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have MS I found out November of 2014. I lost 50 pounds before that. Then over 2015 I was dealing with the MS stuff, and we moved 700+ miles away, so it was a busy stressful time and I gained back about 15. But since Christmas I've lost 10 of that. I figure if I'm gonna fall over all the time I may as well be easier to pick up! :)
  • swimmer301
    Options
    I'm almost at my 3 year mark for no relapses. I found out my body does better when I exercise, even if it's only 3 or 4 times a week.