Trying to become a morning person

Options
I have a hard time finding time to workout. When I get off of work at night I'm usually too tired to get going. I would like to work out in the morning to start my day off right, but I can't seem get out of bed especially during the winter. Any tips on how to become a morning person? Thanks

Replies

• Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nike said it best!

Honestly, I hate getting up in the morning, but I know that I feel better when I get my workout done before work. And I know that no matter how much I try to convince myself that I am going to do my workout in the evening, it just doesn't happen. My problem is when I get up that early, by the time I get off work, I'm exhausted and have no energy for my family!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water the night before. You'll be highly motivated to get out of bed in the morning. It may sound like I'm joking, but I've seriously done this.
  • rachelthropology
    rachelthropology Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Drink a lot of water the night before. You'll be highly motivated to get out of bed in the morning. It may sound like I'm joking, but I've seriously done this.

Trying this tonight.

Other ideas: Set your workout clothes the night before so it's already set for you to get up and go, or better yet! Sleep in your workout gear. Set your phone (if you use it as an alarm, across the room), remind yourself and whatever ungodly hour you're waking up why you're waking up that early (what are you goals? why do you want to achieve them?), wake up to upbeat music, have a killer workout playlist that you're excited to listen to, have a morning workout buddy to hold you accountable.
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    At not and*
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    And uh, your not you**

Ooh the typos.
  • tmoser512
    tmoser512 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was paying a lot of money for a set class at 630am and telling my husband so he would literally push me out of the bed if I wasn't up. It worked and I'm proud to say that he only had to do that for the first couple months or so.

Going to bed early and laying everything out the night before just made it where I didn't have to think so much that early.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    roseml6792 wrote: »
    I have a hard time finding time to workout. When I get off of work at night I'm usually too tired to get going. I would like to work out in the morning to start my day off right, but I can't seem get out of bed especially during the winter. Any tips on how to become a morning person? Thanks

I'm exactly like you. Epitome of the night owl with my energy rising as the day progresses and usually picking between 10pm-1am. Mornings are a nightmare.

There is always going to have to be a level of "just do it". You have to want to motivate yourself to do it. I've got a nice routine that's worked for me:

If it's winter, I lay out all the clothes I will need for a quick morning jog. And I do mean quick. As soon as I wake up, I make the point to immediately jump out of bed and open the curtains (if it's light outside) and before I have time to think get into my running clothes, and immediately out the door with some loud pumped up music. The key here is it's just a 5 min jog. That's all I tell myself I'm going for, and all I do. Just enough to change state, but not enough to feel like a difficult task.

After that I go inside and immediately hop into a COLD shower. When I say cold I do mean cold. As far as you can turn that handle. I usually go just as long as it takes my to rinse and clean, usually 2-3 minutes.

Then from there it's into the morning routine or whatever I need to get accomplished. And yes, if you opt for it the first few cold showers will be unpleasant. Less so if you remember to breathe deep and embrace it rather than tell yourself it sucks. Revel in being that badass that takes cold showers at 6:00am on a winter morning. And no, it's not something you have to do, but I find them very refreshing, focusing, and afterwards I always get this just real warm and good inside feeling for the next 45 mins that keeps me coming back.

That's my routine that's worked well for me.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Ugh so not a morning person I dread getting a 9-5 job because I won't be able to fit supplemental work between classes. I have to get someone to drag me out of bed for it.
  • b_magill
    b_magill Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that you find a workout buddy or accountability partner that will call you and tell at you if you don't show up at the gym. Our, you could use one of those apps where you actually have to pay money if you don't reach your goal.

I actually have found that one I get used to it, getting up early is actually kind of nice. I get a head start on my day while the rest of the world sleeps.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options

I don't know which is more difficult. Making good habits or breaking bad ones but that's what morning exercise is to me: a good habit. For years, my good intention was to go for a walk in the morning before work (basically as you said because I often just didn't have the time or energy in the evening). For a while I was batting about 40%-50%. Weekends were no problem because I had more free time and I could usually make it out of bed 2 or 3 times during the week (except Mondays! ;) ) but I wanted to be more consistent. I did (do) keep a log and at the start of every year I delude myself with the idea of not missing a day. Until about the middle of last May when I some how began my streak. Probably about the same time I started using this site to log what I was eating. It's only the 6th day of 2016 but now I'm to the point that I really don't want to break the streak. I haven't even let temps in the teens stop me.

I wish I could tell you the mechanics of how I've been able to get out of bed other than just making up my mind to do it. Best of luck!
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Having a workout buddy does help. My husband works during the day and I work in the evening. So the best time for us to work out is early morning. I get in bed about 10:30 and back up at 4 so we can go together. It is rough, but you just have to be determined. Once I am out of bed it gets much easier.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've tried....my God I've tried but I just can't do it! I have to get up at 5 to fit it in and I just can't cope. By the afternoon I am almost asleep at my desk. If I absolutely HAVE to do it in the morning I will - reluctantly - but I've given up trying to be a morning person for my sanity
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I get up about 4.
    i have a dog. she encourages me to get up early now.
    I frequently sleep in my workout clothes
    habit. habit makes it easier. not easy but easier
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Same! I've always slept in way too easily. But it's a goal of mine to get up in the morning as well - I found it really challenging when I didn't have a set thing to do, because I'd just go back to sleep a couple times lol.

But I'm following Yoga Camp from Yoga With Adrienne on YouTube, so I know exactly what I'm going to do when I get up. I've been doing it for about 4 days now, getting up, putting on work-out clothes (set out the night before, at least partially), drinking water, and settling into some yoga before breakfast. I also open the window (it's serious winter out right now) to get a cold breeze that keeps me cool while I'm following the video. It keeps me from stopping, and helps me wake up a bit.

I'm trying to wake up at the same time every day, to get a good routine. I need to get up at 6am a couple of days, so I'm hoping to make it apply to every day. Not quite there yet, especially when it's the weekend and I have no scheduled events. But I know that it will help my insomnia, so I'm working on it. I also do some gentle yoga before bed, or have a bubble bath, and I got f.lux which helps my computer reduce "blue light" that keeps you up.

I've got to the point where I'm very comfortable getting up around 7:30am, but I'm working on being alert earlier. (This is big for a university student who very often slept in till noon on days without morning classes).
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Other ideas: Set your workout clothes the night before so it's already set for you to get up and go, or better yet! Sleep in your workout gear. Set your phone (if you use it as an alarm, across the room), remind yourself [at] whatever ungodly hour you're waking up why you're waking up that early (what are you[r] goals? why do you want to achieve them?), wake up to upbeat music, have a killer workout playlist that you're excited to listen to, have a morning workout buddy to hold you accountable.
    That's a pretty good set of suggestions, the most important of which I think is having the alarm on the other side of the room. The hardest thing about getting into the habit of exercising in the morning is literally getting out of bed. (The snooze button is, in fact, the devil.) Once your feet are on the floor, it's easier to keep moving. Easier still if your workout clothes are waiting for - calling to? - you.

And even for us solitary types, a workout buddy (or buddies) can sometimes make all the difference. Twice a week I run with a group that meets at 5:30 AM, and so many times the thing that gets me out of bed is knowing that there are a bunch of other clowns that will be there, helping each other get through. Also, the hassle at the next session after skipping, but that's a different motivator altogether.

If you can keep at it for a month, you can make it a habit. Eventually, the improved energy you feel after a good workout will outweigh the feeling of being tired. Finally: If you do want to be a morning exerciser, you may need to consciously alter your bedtime to make sure you do get enough sleep. Nothing ruins a workout, or an entire day, like not getting your Zs. Good luck!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

You want to get out of bed earlier? Get INTO bed earlier!

• roseml6792
    roseml6792 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! You're awesome!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I used to wake up with lots of energy when I was I a kid, but for the most part I've seemed to lost that ability.

You want to get out of bed earlier? Get INTO bed earlier!
    For me, the problem is that while I may get out of bed earlier, that does not do much to change my energy levels in the morning.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I have a different angle on this issue. I have a desk job and when I am chained to my chair all day, I have no energy after work. However, taking a long walk at lunchtime and moving around a bit the rest of the workday energizes me for the rest of the afternoon and the evening. I am much more a morning person, but going to the gym in the evening works better for my current schedule, and with the walk at lunch I am able to do it, plus around an hour of yoga beforehand.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    DO NOT PRESS THE SNOOZE BUTTON!!!

My alarm goes off, I get up. No checking social media, no snooze button. My workout clothes are ready, my work clothes already in my gym bag. Quick wash, dress, make coffee and put in an insulated mug for the drive to work later, grab my lunch from the fridge, do not pass GO, do not collect £200. Go straight to the gym.

I actually find it easier to go to the gym before work, otherwise I have no motivation to go, whereas if I fit it into my morning routine it's no bother. After work? I get closer and closer to the gym and my motivation fades, I start making excuses. My trick was realising that I spent so long hitting the snooze button, I could've used that time to go to the gym. I don't wake up much earlier, and its all about sharp and snappy - I am doing an alternating routine of c25k and stronglifts - that's ALL I do, so I'm done and dusted in under 45 minutes. Which is about the length of time it takes me to come to in the morning and realise I'm at the gym, wondering how I got there.