The breakfast debate

Options
Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day but I struggle with this 1. Because I often don't get time and would rather chill with a cup of tea than eat and 2. I find it makes me hungrier and I end up eating more throughout the day. I tend to have breakfast or straight into lunch at 11 at work. Id appreciate any advice on how tgis affects weight loss?

Replies

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Luckily for you it has zero effect on weight loss :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Skip that meal. That is what I an many other do. Eat a big snack before your mid-day meal. Or eat your first meal at your lunch time.
    The time of day does not have any affect on weight loss. The number of calories at the end of the day counts :)
  • jusladycook
    jusladycook Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thankyou
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I start work at 7 am no chance I'm eating before that, ill either eat at about 10 ( something smaller like porridge or toast and poached egg) then have a bigger lunch, or just have an early lunch at 12 then maybe a snack at 3ish, I work crazy restaurant hours and to be honest the time I eat has never effected my weight loss only WHAT I eat :)
  • jusladycook
    Options
    Thanks I work school hours without a break so it's a bit of a rushed day for me regular meals does not fit into my lifestyle
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not...... or at what time you eat.
  • chriss0787
    chriss0787 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is by far the least important meal of the day. we were trained to believe that from cereal company's and other traditions, which are are fairly new (past 100 years). Are bodies have not changed since we were hunter gatherers, are ancestors would hunt during the day and eat most of there calories later in the evening. They would also fast not because they wanted to but because they had no choice when would was not abailable.
  • jusladycook
    Options
    Brilliant I'm glad I asked I don't feel under pressure to stick to regular meal times which makes it so much easier for me
  • chriss0787
    chriss0787 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    chriss0787 wrote: »
    Breakfast is by far the least important meal of the day. we were trained to believe that from cereal company's and other traditions, which are are fairly new (past 100 years). Are bodies have not changed since we were hunter gatherers, are ancestors would hunt during the day and eat most of there calories later in the evening. They would also fast not because they wanted to but because they had no choice when would was not abailable.

Hit send on accident :0 lol.

To finish what I was saying the reason you end up being hunger later in the day and not as much in the morning is because are bodies have evolved to be that way.

Look up intermittent fasting, you'll be amazed, best thing I ever did. :smiley:
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Eat the way that your comfortable with. I have read loads of sites and they all say different things. However, when I got to reliable sites (not Bro Science ones!) they say as long as your eating a good healthy diet then the timing of its not that important. Ok mibby its important to world class athletes, which I certainly aint :-) so us mere mortals can get along just fine without a strict eating schedule :-)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Not important. Doesn't effect weight loss

If you read the bunk... It MAY make you less hungry during the day. It MAY make you less likely to make poor food choices at other meals. It MAY give you more energy throughout the day.

It may also not do any of those things. It may also have the complete opposite effect...like you've noticed. I've noticed the same things, I feel a lot more alert and less hungry when I start to eat later.

• emmalcosgrove
    emmalcosgrove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and have something small around 11 before my lunch. But I have heard many things that your metabolism kick-starts as soon as you eat, so you're going to metabolise food quicker but also it's going to make you hungry... Then I've heard that you shouldn't eat anything until your body has fully woken up (which takes 2-3 hours depending on the person) as it can make you feel sluggish. Hmm, interesting debate.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing as you - if I had breakfast, I was starving again well before lunchtime. Now I wake up with glass of orange juice and don't eat until just after 12.

It's about what works for you, it won't stop you losing weight.
  • klwells444
    klwells444 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that the reason why so many people stress eating breakfast is because they might be like me lol. If I wait until lunch time I'll be starving and overeat like CRAZY! Like others said, it's all about the calories you intake by the end of the day. Listen to your body and eat your meals as you see fit
  • SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Surely it's natural to just eat when you're hungry... if that's 11.30am for example then so be it, don't let media or other people pressure you. Your body is telling you to eat now as soon as your tummy grumbles! If you're not hungry, don't force a meal down your neck. I however am starving within an hour of waking lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Breakfast is only necessary if you take medication in the morning that must be taken with food or if you have a tendency towards low blood sugar and need the energy to accomplish what you need to. Otherwise what meals you eat and when you eat them does not matter. Some find meal timing helps training and/or athletic performance but for the average person it means nothing.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Linseymout wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not...... or at what time you eat.

This .
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is why I make a point of eating breakfast. If I wait until lunch I am really hungry and don't feel satiated by a normal meal, and would end up eating way more. But, if your patterns work for you, that's awesome! That's what it's all about is making what you are doing fit your life!
    klwells444 wrote: »
    I think that the reason why so many people stress eating breakfast is because they might be like me lol. If I wait until lunch time I'll be starving and overeat like CRAZY! Like others said, it's all about the calories you intake by the end of the day. Listen to your body and eat your meals as you see fit

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day but I struggle with this 1. Because I often don't get time and would rather chill with a cup of tea than eat and 2. I find it makes me hungrier and I end up eating more throughout the day. I tend to have breakfast or straight into lunch at 11 at work. Id appreciate any advice on how tgis affects weight loss?

Who's everyone

I don't

I believe breakfast is a choice - eat when you want to your calorie goal
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    This is why I make a point of eating breakfast. If I wait until lunch I am really hungry and don't feel satiated by a normal meal, and would end up eating way more. But, if your patterns work for you, that's awesome! That's what it's all about is making what you are doing fit your life!
    klwells444 wrote: »

Who says you have to wait til lunchtime? When is lunchtime anyway? Technically breakfast is the first thing you eat, regardless of the time... I eat breakfast at 11 ish, and lunch at 4ish. Perfect PreWO!