Low motivation....

Options
I have 28 kg to lose...Sometimes feels like I am getting no where I always give up... Ideas on getting motivated?

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ive found motivation comes from within, however we all have those low moments. I realised I gained half my weight back on boxing day. I decided to start my diet the next day and what I did is (cheesy I know but it works) I made a video talking to myself, reminding myself just how crappy i felt on that day, so the next time Im reaching for food that is not good, I either remember the video or watch it again.
  • Pomodori
    Pomodori Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ultimately motivation will come from yourself, so you have to think of all the reasons you want to lose 28kg.

Make a list of all these reasons, then put the list somewhere you can see it daily.

I'd then encourage you to make a list of all the reasons not to lose weight, because these can sabotage your weight loss. Once you've identified them, then you can turn all of the 'reasons not to lose' into 'reasons to lose'. Such as "I like eating lots of high calorie foods" can be turned into "Nutritious foods fill me up and make me feel good" or "I hate exercising" can be turned into "Exercise improves my fitness and health".

A positive mental attitude goes a long, long way.

Also, make some likeminded friends who have similar goals on MFP. If you're having a crappy day, it helps to talk about it with someone, as we've often all been there.

Finally, don't beat yourself up if you slip up from time to time. Don't waste time and effort on dwelling on the slip up, just learn from it and move on with a positive attitude about your lifestyle of losing weight. Remember that small changes to your lifestyle can make big changes to your health and wellbeing. Start small if you need to and build up. Doing something as simple as drinking more water is better than doing nothing at all. Be proud of all your achievements, no matter how small you perceive them to be.

:-3
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Motivation requires a specific plan and measurable short term goals :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from a ton of little measurements. Maybe I didn't lose weight on the scale, but a half inch came off my thighs. Walking longer, running farther. Already signed up for my favorite half marathon (they give out dinosaur shaped medals, it's the best). Pick little weekly goals and stay on a roll!