Meal prepping

Options
I've been trying to meal prep for the week but I end up throwing most of it away. I can't eat the same thing everyday. I can't stand the taste of left over chicken and I've tried cooking it different ways and I can't force it down. Does anyone have any suggestions or can share what type of meals they prep?

Replies

• provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe prep for a few days at a time instead of all week? My preps are very simple but repetitive however a friend told me about eatthismuch.com. That might help you spice things up.
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe make smaller amounts of two/three different things? Sometimes I'm like that with chicken... no fun!
  • tink6356
    tink6356 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone's saying...just prep a few days at a time if you can't eat same things day after day) I prep a little different than some...I usually don't even put meals together in further in advance than the night before...I just cook a meal for my family usually at supper and while I'm cooking, I will make sure and cook a protein source, and veggie, and a whole grain, and then for the next couple days my hubby and I will fix plates using those pre cooked ingredients until that's gone, and then be thinking of the next "type" meal we want) hope this helps! And also find new recipes and try them out on the wkends or whenever you have time...I usually Google clean eating recipes and just pick a site or Pinterest and see what looks good!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Prep and freeze in portions. You have months to eat it and a lot of choices when you're packing your meals.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I also freeze meals, and I rarely cook chicken because I really don't like it.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Try a lentil veggie soup or a chili. Both freeze really well ad don't have chicken :)
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you can't stand eating warmed up or leftover meals, don't prep them. That's the purpose of Meal prepping, so you have leftovers for later and don't have to cook. I prep meats, veggies and carb, then mix and match them, but still eating the same basic meal every 2-3 days. I only prep for two main meals a week, any leftovers from double batches goes in the freezer for another week.
  • Jtomol
    Jtomol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I go to the grocery store I have a plan for the week- that's super important!!
    I try to prep light lunches ( egg white and veggie frittatas, veggie wraps, salads topped with cottage cheese or a light protein, or homemade soups ( a great way to use leftovers and get different flavors) - breakfast is usually yogurt or oatmeal - and for dinner plan for a few nights and wing it for the rest- when you prep cut and portion out veggies and fruits and stick to it, when you prep your protein do different marinades and have fun with it and get creative. I love finding healthier ways to make eat and still fulfilling the hearty cravings! Pinterest is also an excellent tool to use when you're looking for inspiration
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find that soup holds over very well and you can make a few different varieties and mix it up week to week so you don't get bored.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't premake the meals, but I do preplan them, I also make a lot of slow cooker meals it saves on a lot of time and I don't eat the same foods everyday.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The only thing I prep for more than a couple days is breakfast. I can make a pot of oatmeal then add fruit or yogurt and I don't mind eating the same breakfast everyday for a week or more. I will make up portions of leftovers for a day or two or make up a salad that I can eat on for two or three days. There are many things that I don't care for as leftovers but chili, soups, meatloaf, and roast pork are some that I don't mind. I have also made quiche out of left over ham or other things and will take a slice of that for lunch. My husband has taken over dinners so I can't really plan those, ahead or not.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    So don't make the same thing for everyday? That seems obvious to me....Especially with something you know you don't like. You could try making, say, 3 different things and alternate them. There is so much more to work with besides chicken...think about things you enjoy eating and start there.

I am a big fan of meal prepping and eating the same things doesn't bother me. I have experimented a great deal and made everything from soup to salmon to lasagna and fritattas. The possibilities are really endless and Pinterest is a great resource for ideas.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I don't premake the meals, but I do preplan them, I also make a lot of slow cooker meals it saves on a lot of time and I don't eat the same foods everyday.

I agree with this. You can also prep your vegetables and have everything washed, cut up and ready to use to make things quick and easy but have a fresh meal each time.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also plan, but not necessarily prep the whole week. There are certainly things you can do ahead of time. Sometimes I make a big batch of rice to last a few days, but, honestly, I'd rather just cook the rice the that evening for dinner.

I do a weeks worth of meal planning on the weekend. From there I make my shopping list. Then I figure out what I can/need to do in advance. Weeknights are busy, and I have a limited time to cook. If I want to cook a more complicated recipe, usually there are steps you can do ahead to minimize your cooking time on the day of.

As an example, I wanted to make a lightened version of cream of broccoli soup, that relied on pureed overcooked rice to thicken the soup instead of heavy cream. I had time on Sunday to cook the rice and puree it with milk. I stuck that in a container in the 'fridge and just pulled it out the next night while I was making dinner. It made the soup come together super quick. I've also done a casseroles ahead of time, up to the topping. At that point, all I have to do is stick the casserole in the oven to heat up. Once it's heated, add the topping and cook as normal.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to cook a large quantity of beef/pork/chicken and eat it in very different ways. Last weekend, I cooked two beef roasts in the crockpot. Sunday dinner was traditional pot roast. Monday was beef and noodles. Tuesday I added taco seasoning to shredded roast and made soft tacos. Wednesday I added BBQ sauce to shredded roast and put it on a bun for BBQ beef sandwiches.

I have a son in college. Whenever we are tired of eating leftovers of any entree that freezes well, I pop it in a freezer bag and label it. He really appreciates a bag full of homemade meals that he can eat at his apartment.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't really meal prep either, but I meal plan, like lots of you above. I plan dinners for 12 weeks at a time, rotating 2-4 different simple "meat+starch+veg" type meals for every day of the week, except Mondays, which is soup or stew day with leftovers for Wednesday, and Fridays, which are open for new ideas. When I buy fresh meat, I portion and freeze what I don't use at once, and take out meat and veggies to defrost in fridge overnight. The cooking doesn't take long.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Every time i cook, i make an extra portion or two. I freeze the leftover overs (labeled with weights and contents so i can log it easily). I usually have 10-15 frozen meals i can grab at anytime and toss in the microwave.
  • dogman8374
    dogman8374 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to add sauces to the chicken. Just make sure you count it. Once you start hating it but forcing yourself to do it it has become an eating disorder and not a healthy lifestyle. Read, flexible dieting 2.0