New and BORED with same ole exercises!!

Options
Hello everyone! Im new to this and hoping I can get some input on some new workout ideas. Over the past year I have lost 15 lbs and now I am stuck:grumble: I just found out that I have diabetes and was told to change my eating habits and to drop 10 lbs to help manage it. Last year I did a boot camp which i loved and saw results but it was just too much with my work schedule. I joined a gym, did pretty good with that but got burned out with the machines and classes. Lately Ive been walking/jogging with my dog, i take different routes so i wont get bored but its not really helping. If anyone has any suggestions or workouts that have worked for them, please share because I could sure use something different!! XOXO

Replies

• mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I had this problem too and have found a few things that work for me. I check out area classes and take the one that scares me the most :) Zumba terrified me, but now I'm addicted. I also have about 25 or more workout DVD's so I never have an excuse. They are all different is some way so I can switch it up. Plus they are right here at home and I can take them with me if I need to go out of town. I also have a few games/workouts for the Wii. With this I can hang out with the kids, work out and get them moving. If I ever get bored (which I still do) I buy a new DVD, work out tool or find a new scary class. May not work for you, but this is what I do. GOOD LUCK!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too and have found a few things that work for me. I check out area classes and take the one that scares me the most :) Zumba terrified me, but now I'm addicted. I also have about 25 or more workout DVD's so I never have an excuse. They are all different is some way so I can switch it up. Plus they are right here at home and I can take them with me if I need to go out of town. I also have a few games/workouts for the Wii. With this I can hang out with the kids, work out and get them moving. If I ever get bored (which I still do) I buy a new DVD, work out tool or find a new scary class. May not work for you, but this is what I do. GOOD LUCK!
    I simply want to express my admiration of your weight-loss progress...A job well done!
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually had to try something completely new that I've not done in years!! I used to be a swimmer but probably hadn't gotten in the pool for 15 years. I also started "running" or training for a 5k. I have NEVER been a runner, but the challenge was a HUGE motivator for me...Now, after 3 months, I am running 3 miles in 34 minutes. I would have never dreamed I could have done that...best of luck finding something to motivate you! :)
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I simply want to express my admiration of your weight-loss progress...A job well done!

Thank you so much!!! THis is one of the many reasons I love MFP so much. People on here are so understanding and supportive!
  • lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have to mix up my exercise...I do walk away the pounds which is "on Demand" if you have cable television...Zumba class (live) and on the Wii...all of the Wii exercises....Walk around the neighborhood with my dog...walk on the treadmill in my basement (which bores me the most) Hip Hop abs w/Shaun T...work out with a personal trainer two days a week and water aerobics on saturdays...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Thank you so much!!! THis is one of the many reasons I love MFP so much. People on here are so understanding and supportive!
    The weight you have lost is like ...a person off you. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    how about looking into Women's Health Magazines...there's always work outs in there you can do...tonight I'm going to do a 4 move kettle ball routine. I really like their "no equipment, no problem" section too...and if you subscribe on line it's cheap. I tried kinect for xbox during the winter, and although I liked it, I didn't burn nearly as much as I do in the gym. Or what about karate? who says you need to do a work out at the gym? karate or any other martial art (kick boxing is damn hard)...I say start googling things you're interested in and see if it works.
  • bigmacr
    bigmacr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    New here too. I'd suggest picking something that you want to do that you do instead of just plain exercise. For me I picked up disc golf. It's fun, burns 450 calories an hour and I don't treat it like an obligation. You might try tennis or something else that appeals to you.

If you want the regular routine that an exercise class can provide, try water aerobics. I did a few of these classes with my wife and really liked it. She has been going regularly and has seen great result.

There's a couple ideas, good luck on finding something that works for you.
  • eedman
    eedman Posts: 7
    Options
    No Mention of bike riding, i love getting on my bike choosing a route (hills, flat or cross country , short or long) and then going and doing it, once your in "the zone" you'll love it. clears the mind too specially riding at night.

One thing id say is if you dont enjoy a certain type of exercise, dont do it, that is the best way to demotivate yourself. i have an elliptical trainer with cobwebs on it, and i guarantee it will have cobwebs on it for another 6 months too... i hate the thing!

Oh yeah what about martial arts? great for cardio, flexibility and discipline. plus you actually take something away from every session.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are fun, and you get strength training and a killer cardio workout all at once. I like the Art of Strength "Providence" work-along DVD.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Thats exactly how I do it. I have so many fitness dvds & work out video games. I take a zumba class plus I brisk walk and jog. Every month I do something different. For the next 3 months I'm actually going to be doing the same 2 programs but they have different dvds for each month. I'm doing Turbo Fire and CharLean Extreme. I am really impressed by these two programs. You can find the promos for them both on Youtube.

Exercising shouldn't be a chore. It should be something you enjoy doing so switching up the routine will keep you motivated and it will confuse your body as well.
  • tsoto79
    tsoto79 Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! I love Zumba and its such a great work out. The instructor at my gym sucks and dosent know what shes doing and messes the class up lol. Thanks
  • tsoto79
    tsoto79 Posts: 6
    Options
    :smooched: Thank you everyone, I will mix it up and try all these different things you all suggested!