Tofu - what to do with it?

Options
At the grand old age of 28 I have just bought my first ever block of tofu :)
When I was growing up my parents were pescetarians and ate a lot of tofu. They were also terrible cooks and their tofu dishes were foul...greasy, badly seasoned and for some reason always burnt, which put me off the stuff for years after leaving home.
But I've decided to give tofu a second chance and need some ideas for ways to cook it that won't scare me off again (the block I've bought is firm, Cauldron brand if it makes any difference)
Anyone got any delicious and easy ideas?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Sorry... When I read your thread title, "put it in the bin" came to mind. Tofu is one thing you couldn't pay me to eat
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've tried to cook it a few times, always with terrible results. I think it's one of those ingredients that takes some learning/practice to get right. can't really advise you on how to to do that, but I'll tell you that my favorite way to have tofu is those little fried cubes you get at asian restaurants. Maybe find a way to replicate that? Tastes great with some soy sauce and rice. I'm omnivorous, as a reference.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cut it into smaller cubes or fries. Add cornstarch and spices of your choice to a bowl. I like creole seasoning and garlic salt. coat all the sides and deep fry.

You can also coat them in honey and pan fry for sort of a caramelized snack.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Freeze it first - then thaw, and press all of the moisture out. Bake or pan fry. After that I usually use it in curry, chili, soup, etc.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    novatri wrote: »
    Cut it into smaller cubes or fries. Add cornstarch and spices of your choice to a bowl. I like creole seasoning and garlic salt. coat all the sides and deep fry.

You can also coat them in honey and pan fry for sort of a caramelized snack.

ah...must be the cornstarch that makes the cubes all crispy on the outside. would this work without deep frying? maybe broiling or something?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You have to smush it in between two clean towels or paper towels to get as much water out as possible. I don't really deep fry mine, i just throw a tbsp or 2 of oil n and then fry it. Honestly, lately I've taken to just throwing the de-watered tofu into my stir fry and cooking it with the stir fry, but i only get extra firm or firm.

It's also good plain in soups, as long as you season everything else properly or even season the tofu before you add it to the stir fry or soup.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am weird in that I actually like tofu. Do not make the mistake of thinking tofu is a meat replacement. It will never be meat; the texture is wrong. On its own, I find tofu to be quite bland and flavorless. It basically takes on the tast of whatever you cook it with.

Do you like Chinese and other Asian foods? Tofu lends itself quite easily to these dishes. Use it anywhere you would normally use chicken. I've done kung pao and pad thai, both with tofu. These dishes really rely on the sauce.

You'll want to use firm tofu. Layer the block between some paper towels, and place a heavy skillet or pan on top. Let it sit for a few minutes to drain the excess moisture out. I usually let it sit while I prep the vegetables. Pat the block dry and cut into cubes. You can saute it in a tablespoon of oil to brown it on all sides. (peanut oil is great for Asian dishes if you don't have an allergy). It won't be as crispy as deep fried, but it gets the job done. I've also had good luck sticking the cubed tofu under the broiler. You can crisp it under there, and then add it to your dish.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    #1: start with FIRM or EXTRA FIRM TOFU. Cut the block into slices about 1.5" by 3" or "nugget size".

Lay them out in a single layer on a baking sheet on some towels, lay more towels on top with another baking sheet, and put heavy weights in it. I use big tins or jars of sauce, etc. leave it for a few minutes, about 10-15. Preheat your oven to 375 when you have 5 min left.

Lay the tofu out on parchment in a single layer on the baking sheet(s) and bake until golden brown on the top. I've never really timed it, but I think it takes about 20 minutes. Take them out, flip them, and bake another 5 minutes or so.

I toss my tofu nuggets in buffalo sauce. YUM. You can also season them with lemon pepper or chipotle rub when you do the flipping. The underside is still wet enough to get the dry seasoning to stick. They'll keep in a container in fridge for 2-3 days. Nuke them for 30sec to reheat. I'll make 3-4 packs of tofu at a time, since the whole process is about an hour.

If you have soft or silken tofu, blend into smoothies in place of yogurt. Or blend with water chestnuts, chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained), garlic, and a packet of veggie soup dip mix. The tofu replaces the mayo pretty well.

• thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    PiSquared wrote: »
    I am weird in that I actually like tofu. Do not make the mistake of thinking tofu is a meat replacement. It will never be meat; the texture is wrong. On its own, I find tofu to be quite bland and flavorless. It basically takes on the tast of whatever you cook it with.

Do you like Chinese and other Asian foods? Tofu lends itself quite easily to these dishes. Use it anywhere you would normally use chicken. I've done kung pao and pad thai, both with tofu. These dishes really rely on the sauce.

You'll want to use firm tofu. Layer the block between some paper towels, and place a heavy skillet or pan on top. Let it sit for a few minutes to drain the excess moisture out. I usually let it sit while I prep the vegetables. Pat the block dry and cut into cubes. You can saute it in a tablespoon of oil to brown it on all sides. (peanut oil is great for Asian dishes if you don't have an allergy). It won't be as crispy as deep fried, but it gets the job done. I've also had good luck sticking the cubed tofu under the broiler. You can crisp it under there, and then add it to your dish.

Indian food is also great for tofu! Palek paneer uses an Indian cheese that is similar to tofu. I like tiki masala sauce with jasmine rice and broiled tofu cubes. Yum. Tofu FTW!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....Indian food

You know, I've never made Indian with tofu. I've eaten it with tofu, but never cooked it. Huh. I should remedy that.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Remove from package, drain it and dry it. put it on a plate and then throw it in the garbage...go buy a cheeseburger

I've tried it evry which way since my sister and her husband are veggiessaurus's and I just can't...it's just not good...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like to press and dry it, cut into small cubes, spice it with a heavy hand of garlic powder and cayenne and oven bake it at about 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (see e.g., http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/easy-baked-tofu).

Cooked that way, it can be added to any number of soups, casseroles, stir-fries, curries, salads, etcetera.

For the haters out there, I think the secret is proportion: I can't face a big ole chunk of tofu and treat it like a steak, and I don't particularly like tofu dishes where the percent of tofu to other ingredients is greater than about 40%. But as an ingredient in a savory dish that contains lots of other other vegetables and a nice sauce or stock-- YUM!

• hhadley06
    hhadley06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite Asian-style tofu recipes! It is pretty salty, so I would recommend mixing in some unsalted veggies, having it over plain rice, or watering down the braising liquid to turn it into a soup! :)

weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009/07/braised-tofu-vegetarians-can-braise-too.html
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Google 'crispy texture tofu' to find good ways to get a nice exterior.

Then use in any stir fry dish in place of your usual protein. It's probably the most noob-friendly way to eat tofu. If you like it, there are lots of other ways to prepare it, and you might want to look at silken tofu as well. Completely different application, but I love the stuff for Ma-Po Tofu and similar.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Omg!!!!!....Chuck it in the bin and back away slowly!!!! I hate that stuff....
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Tofu takes on the flavor of the dish you cook it with so it's important to season it well or use sauce. It is also good in stir fry or pad thai.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    I usually just use it in smoothies, it's pretty good and gives the smoothie a creamier texture. I also just mimic the Asian restaurants by adding it to stir fry, it's pretty good because it takes on the flavor of what you're cooking it in.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Try tofu and noodles. I usually cut it open and squeeze out water in hands then cube it or cut into steaks cook in olive oil and then add brags liquid amigos. Cook up some soba noodles or udon then rinse them w cold water add the tofu after done cooking (about slight gold or about 10 to 15 min) toss with olive oil and brags add in veggies you like too.

I found in a veggie cookbook a way to make a sausage seasoning for pizza with tempeh but I use it with the tofu it's real good with rice tofu and corn and eggs and peas/carrots as a stir fry.

Really the key is seasoning. I made with ras al hanout once too. You can make hacked tofu cut up all over for a egg substitute or beef sub.

You can marinate your tofu too or find pre seasoned one like bbq etc. best brand I like is nasoya always make sure your tofu is organic and non gmo.