Personal Trainers and Holistic Nutritionists Please Comment

Options
I'm seriously considering becoming a personal trainer and holistic nutritionist. I'd like to find out the what institutions are credible to obtain certifications and any general tips you may have on making this a reality for me.

Replies

• dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    Bump
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at a few schools regarding nutritional science. I am still looking and comparing, so any information I find out I will be happy to pass on
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    How "holistic" are those pork rinds you fancy, X-Brother! LOL!!!

Good luck, Ken! That sounds like something I would dig!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the holistic nutritionist point but National Exercise Trainers Association(NETA) is a very good organization and the trainers I know with their certification seem to be top notch. I know their certification is much more than some fee and 10 question test. Good luck though.
  • hazyjk
    hazyjk Posts: 3
    Options
    Try NESTA. They have many programs that offer certifications.

Best of luck!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • knewbill72
    Options
    Thanks!
  • knewbill72
    Options
    I can't speak to the holistic nutritionist point but National Exercise Trainers Association(NETA) is a very good organization and the trainers I know with their certification seem to be top notch. I know their certification is much more than some fee and 10 question test. Good luck though.

Thanks!
  • knewbill72
    Options
    Try NESTA. They have many programs that offer certifications.

Best of luck!

Thank you!
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    I dont know what a Hoilstic nutrionist is but i know you are so well worthy of being a Personal Trainer. When you get Certified, Come find me I need all the training I can get!
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Make sure the certifying group is listed with the NCCA (National Commission for Certifying Agencies). They're the oversight committee for personal training, and there are hundreds of websites offering personal training certs. The most reputable are ACE, ACSM, NSCA and NASM. Personally, I went with NSCA (National Strength & Conditioning Association) to get my CPT because they're one of the most challenging certifications to get & I liked that they focused on strength training for healthy and "other" populations (diabetes, heart disease, muscular problems, etc).

You'll need to be CPR and AED certified to take the test. It'll cost a couple hundred dollars to pay for books, test fees, etc. I think I spent around 800-900 for all the bells and whistles (online practice tests, DVD guides, workbooks, the textbook, becoming a NSCA member, etc).

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions!