Feeling hungry

Options
Woke up this morning feeling hungry. Pretty sure it's emotional hunger as I've had my breakfast and its still there. I am having a conversation in my head but my stomach is arguing back. I recognise how I use food as a noo noo. ....I am feeling a little exposed. Any tips.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, it works very well for both taking your mind of hunger and clearing your head.
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, it works very well for both taking your mind of hunger and clearing your head.

This.

And try a cup of tea or some extra water.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Linseymout wrote: »

This.

And try a cup of tea or some extra water.

I am feeling the same way this morning. I don't know whether its a psychological thing as I'm English, but a cup of tea definitely helped me feel a little better!
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Did your breakfast contain a good source of protein? It makes you feel fuller longer. Eat a piece of fruit lower in sugar. If it doesn't satisfy you, then you know for certain it's emotional hunger pangs. If emotional, drink a big glass of water and find a physical activity to get yourself away from food.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A big glass of water helps me sometimes!
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of higher fiber snacks, baby carrots and 8 ounces of water takes the nagging hunger away for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Tea or water, distract yourself, and make sure you had enough fat, protein and fiber in your breakfast.
  • CarolineCox1963
    CarolineCox1963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did all of the above, definitely emotional hunger, always used food in the past to push things down, weigh day tomorrow, will focus on that. Have a positive day everyone
  • Kirwin76
    Kirwin76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, but it's after I get home from work, around 4pm. What I found really helps is just chewing a piece of gum. There's enough flavour to trick my stomach/brain and I'm good until dinner. If I don't have gum, I usually end up snacking....for about two hours.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, gum makes me much hungrier. I think my belly says "What the hell, why is no food coming down", ha ha. I've taken to carrying a small pot of cucumber sticks with me, or some celery, anything that's low in calories and crunchy.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was in a weight loss chat and someone asked if there was a weight loss pill. The answer was fiber and vegetables. Weight watchers doesn't count vegetables against you. Hold your nose and eat them. You'll be less hungry. They mostly go with 4 grams per serving of fiber in the foods you eat and low fat things. This made me not so hungry.
  • Chupiite
    Chupiite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah sometimes glass or two can help, I have noticed that sometimes I'm actually dehydrated instead of hungry :)
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a broken record on this subject, but V8, especially with a fiber powder like chia seeds or psyllium, works for me. If you don't like V8, try chia seeds in any liquid, even water--though you'll have to chug the water. Psyllium is the active ingredient in Metamucil; if you buy it in that form it will be mixed into something like Tang that most people seem to find pretty palatable. Reduces hunger, promotes regularity, and (supposedly) reduces LDL cholesterol, though I'm still waiting to find out whether that last part works for me. Anyway, who couldn't use more fiber in the diet?
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Three tips:

1) Water, water, water.

Many times that people feel hungry they are actually thirst. The first thing you should do is drink a glass of water and see how you feel.

2) Eat

Believe it or not, your body is pretty smart and knows when you need food. If you try drinking water and still feel it, eat a small amount of something, even if it is very low calories. Don't deny yourself when you are actually hungry.

3) Don't eat

There is NOTHING wrong with being hungry. Eventually your body will learn to adjust. Mine did. I don't eat anything from the moment I wake up at 6:15 in the morning until around noon when I have a smoothie. Then I eat nothing until probably 8 or 9 at night. Soon, I will be ditching the smoothie and only eating in the evening because that truly is the only time I am hungry anymore. There is a big difference between being hungry and starving. Being hungry will never hurt you.