Who else finds the gym boring?

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gyms are dull, whether lifting or machine CV work.

Trail running or road cycling for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i find it boring
    i run outside
    i do yoga at a studio and at home
    i do strength building dvds at home too
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Find it incredibly boring and a complete waste of money. Not to mention the pretensious tw*ts flexing there steroid grown muscles in front of the mirrors and hogging the machines with there other unatural friends.....no thank you.

Have my own room with weights etc where I can do everything I did at the gym but for free!

Give me my own 2 feet and a nice place to run any day.

Shaun.
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym. It has it's place for those who like it. I'm an outdoor girl. And most of my workouts are outside, hiking, biking, surfing, snowboarding, skating and running to name a few. And those that I do inside, like yoga and weights, I do them at home because that's my happy place. It's my time to be introverted and get my workout in peace without someone standing there waiting for me to finish with a certain weight.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I ride outside and on a home trainer. What is this gym you speak of? :D
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    biodigit wrote: »
    It's after I get done with the gym when I really feel alive.

This is more or less how I feel. I hate the gym, I hate working out; it's not really a situation where I just need to find something I like. I just don't really like any of it. But the after-feeling is what carries me through every time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    wildestrs wrote: »
    I don't know about y'all but I just don't like going to the gym it does not appease me and once I get there I just want to leave. I was a volleyball player and I loved doing physical activity that involved that but anything else count me out! Does anyone else feel this way?
    If you dislike it, you shouldn't go. Exercise is for fitness and health. You don't have to go to a gym to exercise or be physically active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For cardio I absolutely hate it, for lifting it's OK, but would really prefer if I could do it at home and alone.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM A CARDIO QUEEN!! ALL OUTSIDE!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If I don't go to the gym, I get pissy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride outside and on a home trainer. What is this gym you speak of? :D

Where people lift weights to improve their cycling ;)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I find everything else boring that's not my gym time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I find the gym to be boring for cardio work...I loath droning away on cardio equipment. I enjoy pumping iron though.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you find the gym boring-you're not working out!
  • SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hate the act of going to the gym. I hate being there. It's boring, kind of annoying, and just not really my thing at all, but I don't have a lot of room or options at home and I have found that I am more likely to actually put in the work if I am paying to go somewhere. It's all part of the process for me. I would MUCH rather be outside hiking or something, but that doesn't always fit into the schedule, either. My gym is close, easy to get to, and usually not very crowded. I love the feeling after a good workout, too, so that helps push me through. I'd rather be anywhere but the gym, but it's what fits into my lifestyle right now. In the spring and summer, when I have more free time, I go hiking and stuff like that instead. Though, I would really like to have a home gym one day because I don't like dealing with people =/
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Like any training program for anyone, do something you enjoy, otherwise it will seem more of a chore which is how most people fall off track. And in this case, if the gym is boring to you, you may not be doing things you're enjoying. Have you tried group classes? Going with a partner that's as motivated or more motivated than you? If you enjoy volleyball, how about doing exercise movements that are more in that realm such as some high intensity circuits, leg workouts, and perhaps some arm workouts?
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's boring for me! I only like doing the treadmill at the gym now! So I actually do a lot of my exercises at home now, bumping music and letting my toddlers watch tv while I exercise in the living room with them!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I love the portions of the gym that I use. I enjoy playing in the pool with my kids, and I enjoy lifting (barbells) and hitting new PRs.

I'm pretty sure I would find most of the rest of the gym boring unless I was training for something specific.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    wildestrs wrote: »
    I don't know about y'all but I just don't like going to the gym it does not appease me and once I get there I just want to leave. I was a volleyball player and I loved doing physical activity that involved that but anything else count me out! Does anyone else feel this way?

I saw people playing volleyball at the Y near me - if team sports are your thing, how about finding places that allow you to do that?

I find cardio at the gym tedious so walk and hike in the woods and use the gym for lifting weights.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I too used to find the gym incredibly boring. But back then I didn't know what I was doing, doing the same few exercises every time, and most importantly targeting a certain look. None of that stuff was motivating. Now, I'm chasing performance, and I literally have to keep myself from going to the gym. Also I've discovered the joys and pains of deadlifts. Do you deadlift?