Getting married 2017! Best weight loss tips?

Options
So to give a little backstory, I'm 5ft and 140 and as much as that sounds I'm also a lifter and danced for years so I have a ton of muscle. I have been in a wonderful relationship with m my now fiancé and gained the "comfy" weight and would like to lose 20lbs in about 13 months. I have been eating and drinking well for the two days I've started and working out. I just wanted to see if there were any other tips anyone can advise to keep myself accountable just cause 13 months is a long long time!

Appreciate any advise! Thank you!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who's losing weight: Eat less, move more, weigh your food in grams and log everything you eat or drink.

Speaking as a former wedding planner: Don't buy a dress too small and think you're going to fit into it. That almost never happens.

Congrats!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit for fat loss. Log carefully. Get a digital scale. I suggest weight lifting too. You want your back and arms to look awesome in that dress! Weightlifting can really help change your body composition. Congrats & good luck.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we have a lot in common. I'm 5' tall and a lifter, too. I would like to lose about 20 pounds (I'm at about 145 currently). Only, I've been married 20 years and am losing the baby weight (instead of preparing to get married and wanting to lose the comfy weight :wink:)

Get in the habit of making mostly good food choices and staying within your calories. Eat foods that are enjoyable to you. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Track your macros and calories and keep lifting. Don't make too big of a deficit. I wouldn't suggest eating under 1500 calories ... you can probably even eat a bit more.

Making this a sustainable change is the key to sticking with it. I've been on this site for 4 1/2 years (joined when pregnant, got down almost to goal afterwards and then another baby a year ago) and I've seen a lot of people come and go. Those who are the most successful do make this a part of their lifestyle - logging daily food intake, allowing for treats, and eating at a calorie level that doesn't create an extreme deficit. The ones who don't last generally try for 2 pounds a week (or under 1200 calories) when they don't need that fast of a loss, and overdo it with the exercise and denying themselves of anything tasty.

(Feel free to add me if you want)
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, only I am getting married in October 2016. For me, the main motivation is not the wedding dress, it is me in a bikini in Vegas for my bachelorette and in Hawaii on my honeymoon. On top of that, I want to start out my marriage as a new life, in shape, and maintain my figure when I have a baby.

Although I would never buy a wedding dress that was too small in hopes of fitting, a friend recently suggested I buy the bikini that I would want to wear in Vegas and Hawaii at the size I want to be at. If I don't make that size, it is not too much money lost. But I can hang it up in my room where I can see it every day and be reminded of the goals I have. I want to look back at my wedding and surrounding events years from now and be pleased with the photos, not wishing I was fitter! Good luck to you and conrgats!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting now and not being one of those frantic brides with only a few months to go!

Just keep in mind that you don't want that to happen to you :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    13 months is not really a "long long" time. The rest of your life is. What are you going to do after the wedding? Go back to where you are now? If so, why bother?

The tip is to count your calories based on the methods explained in the sticky notes on this site.

100 calories per day is 10 pounds per year. So you could create a deficit of 200 cals per day over what you've been eating, and you can lose those 20 lbs in a year!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    kminjee wrote: »
    I just wanted to see if there were any other tips anyone can advise to keep myself accountable just cause 13 months is a long long time!

What are your plans after the 13 months, to avoid regaining the weight?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! :)

I'm 5 ft 2 and I started out in April 2015 at 157lbs - none of which was muscle. I am now around 118 lbs. You can definitely achieve your desired results if you are willing to make lifestyle changes (Sorry for the cliche but it is what it is!). Track your food, eat at a sensible and reasonable deficit and educate yourself about your body's needs.

I'm always a little weary when people want to lose weight solely for an event. There is no reason why you can't continue to feel fabulous and healthy AFTER your wedding too. Make life changes, not temporary ones. You'll thank yourself for it (Though I'm sure you look great already).
  • kminjee
    kminjee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should clarify - I do want to keep the weight off after my wedding! But I would like to hold one goal at a time. So right now the goal is to get into the new habits so i can keep them for the long haul! thank you all so much for the tips and congrats to all who have the same goals and future marriages to come! I dont plan on buying a dress right now just rather to see what looks good on me (of course things might change as i lose weight)
  • kminjee
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I just wanted to see if there were any other tips anyone can advise to keep myself accountable just cause 13 months is a long long time!

What are your plans after the 13 months, to avoid regaining the weight?

To keep the weight off! I like to just keep one goal at a time! :)
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    So to give a little backstory, I'm 5ft and 140 and as much as that sounds I'm also a lifter and danced for years so I have a ton of muscle.

Lies you weigh at least 2140 pounds.
  • kminjee
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    So to give a little backstory, I'm 5ft and 140 and as much as that sounds I'm also a lifter and danced for years so I have a ton of muscle.

Lies you weigh at least 2140 pounds.

Totally
  • kminjee
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who's losing weight: Eat less, move more, weigh your food in grams and log everything you eat or drink.

Speaking as a former wedding planner: Don't buy a dress too small and think you're going to fit into it. That almost never happens.

Congrats!

Oh gosh!! I would never! I want to be a decent weight first then i will buy a dress!! :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    More of a "losing weight for the wedding" tip (although biggest tip - don't lose weight JUST for your wedding, health is more for just an event). Get a dress that you can alter easily. I LOVED my dress, and it was super easy to get fittings done for, and I lost weight up until the week before, so if I wasn't able to get it altered a little a week before, I would have been in a little trouble. I lost 50 lbs total for my wedding, although it has been over a few years. I lost the last 25 the year before the wedding.

*Edit: I also want to say you don't have to delay buying a dress depending on the dress you want and the size. I bought a size 10 or 12 and by the time I wore it it had been altered down to probably a 4 (not all dresses can do this). Just don't wait -too- long to get a dress before your wedding. You need at least 8 months to get it in.
  • kminjee
    Options
    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! :)

I'm 5 ft 2 and I started out in April 2015 at 157lbs - none of which was muscle. I am now around 118 lbs. You can definitely achieve your desired results if you are willing to make lifestyle changes (Sorry for the cliche but it is what it is!). Track your food, eat at a sensible and reasonable deficit and educate yourself about your body's needs.

I'm always a little weary when people want to lose weight solely for an event. There is no reason why you can't continue to feel fabulous and healthy AFTER your wedding too. Make life changes, not temporary ones. You'll thank yourself for it (Though I'm sure you look great already).

About howlong did it take you to lose all of that? Any tips?
  • kminjee
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, only I am getting married in October 2016. For me, the main motivation is not the wedding dress, it is me in a bikini in Vegas for my bachelorette and in Hawaii on my honeymoon. On top of that, I want to start out my marriage as a new life, in shape, and maintain my figure when I have a baby.

Although I would never buy a wedding dress that was too small in hopes of fitting, a friend recently suggested I buy the bikini that I would want to wear in Vegas and Hawaii at the size I want to be at. If I don't make that size, it is not too much money lost. But I can hang it up in my room where I can see it every day and be reminded of the goals I have. I want to look back at my wedding and surrounding events years from now and be pleased with the photos, not wishing I was fitter! Good luck to you and conrgats!

Congrats to you too!!! So exciting. Vegas is a good motivator too! I have never owned a bikini so that would be a good thing fo rme to shoot for as well! haha. The Bikini goal is good though - i wish you all the best of luck to achieve that goal :)
  • kminjee
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    It sounds like we have a lot in common. I'm 5' tall and a lifter, too. I would like to lose about 20 pounds (I'm at about 145 currently). Only, I've been married 20 years and am losing the baby weight (instead of preparing to get married and wanting to lose the comfy weight :wink:)

Get in the habit of making mostly good food choices and staying within your calories. Eat foods that are enjoyable to you. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Track your macros and calories and keep lifting. Don't make too big of a deficit. I wouldn't suggest eating under 1500 calories ... you can probably even eat a bit more.

Making this a sustainable change is the key to sticking with it. I've been on this site for 4 1/2 years (joined when pregnant, got down almost to goal afterwards and then another baby a year ago) and I've seen a lot of people come and go. Those who are the most successful do make this a part of their lifestyle - logging daily food intake, allowing for treats, and eating at a calorie level that doesn't create an extreme deficit. The ones who don't last generally try for 2 pounds a week (or under 1200 calories) when they don't need that fast of a loss, and overdo it with the exercise and denying themselves of anything tasty.

(Feel free to add me if you want)

what the heck is macros??? haha.
  • kminjee
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Good for you for starting now and not being one of those frantic brides with only a few months to go!

Just keep in mind that you don't want that to happen to you :)

Thank you! No no, i am such a planner and like to do things in advance to have room for the things that could go wrong haha.
  • kminjee
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Eat at a deficit for fat loss. Log carefully. Get a digital scale. I suggest weight lifting too. You want your back and arms to look awesome in that dress! Weightlifting can really help change your body composition. Congrats & good luck.

Where can you get a digital scale?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

Where can you get a digital scale?

Pretty much anywhere that has a kitchen supplies section. If I were looking for another one, I'd probably go with Amazon. I got mine from the grocery store.