Recumbant bike

Options
I am Thinking of buying a Recumbant bike and looking at them on eBay. Is a Schwinn 230 a good model?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to a real bike or outdoor store and checking out a few models before buying anything on line.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, most any bike will be "good", but some will be better than others. The big kicker you need to worry about is how well assembled it is, and that's not a function of the brand/model, but rather the shop/store/person you buy it from.

Also, if buying used, make sure the frame handlebars and wheels are in good shape with no real structural damage.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have the Marcy ME-709 recumbent bike and love it. I got mine on Amazon, and they also have it @ Walmart on sale right now. Reviews are excellent, and I agree :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry- I thought you were referring to a stationary bike.
  • sabulaboys4
    sabulaboys4 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feed back. I will probably pull the trigger tonight if I decide to purchase
  • shiningstar93
    shiningstar93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought a fan exercise bike from Academy. I love it because it also works my arms and it has a control board that shows the time I rode, how far I rode and how many calories I burned.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am Thinking of buying a Recumbant bike and looking at them on eBay. Is a Schwinn 230 a good model?

Personally I would stay away from recumbant, but if you're getting that because of back issues or other physical needs then by all means go for it.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the Schwinn 270 and like it. I tried the Schwinn 230 in the store and didn't like it at all; the pedals were too low, making it more like a regular exercise bike. I need a certain angle due to ankle pain, so I am probably more picky than most. Several brands and models did not meet my needs. I'm not discouraging you from that particular model so much as encouraging you to try different ones out before purchasing as it's a rather hefty investment to not be totally happy with.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    IMO, most any bike will be "good", but some will be better than others. The big kicker you need to worry about is how well assembled it is, and that's not a function of the brand/model, but rather the shop/store/person you buy it from.

Also, if buying used, make sure the frame handlebars and wheels are in good shape with no real structural damage.

My bad... didn't realize this was a recumbent *stationary* bike. Pretty much my entire comment is irrelevant.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just bought a stationary bike last month. I went into Sears and tried them all. I was there for over an hour and pretty sweaty at the end! This was my second trip as the first time around I tried the ellipticals too as I have a bad foot and need to stop using my treadmill.

If possible, go into a store and take a test drive as there might be slight differences that are important to you. For example, I didn't like the seat (upright bike) on one, and hated how the pedals felt on another. I read the reviews at the store on my phone before I bought the one I bought. It's great and I'm so glad to be able to do cardio again!!
  • Dollywings
    Dollywings Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of my concerns is pedal distance - i am short-
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    Dollywings wrote: »
    One of my concerns is pedal distance - i am short-

This is a very old thread and I doubt any of the people who wrote here are still reading along. My advice would be to go to an actual showroom/shop and try it there. This also gives you a good idea on whether you like it or not. Another option might be to rent one for a while and then buy if it works for you.