Cramp, run through or stop?

Options
I'm really struggling with cramp at the moment when running and I'm never sure whether I should run through the pain or stop? Or whether anyone may know what's causing it?

It is possible for me to run through it sometimes, in fact those times I stop an stretch it often seems to get worse.

Replies

• craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PandaFAmBAm
    PandaFAmBAm Posts: 111
    Options
    What cramps? Your sidE?Legs?
  • prichards
    prichards Posts: 4
    Options
    Cramps usually are the result of dehydration; drink more water and add some Gatorade H2 light to your diet. Bananas can also help since they have lots of potassium and that can help prevent cramps.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What's cramping? Foot, leg, back or side....
  • penguinfan03
    penguinfan03 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What type of cramp? I (and probably everyone else in the world) get a terrible stitch in my right side about 50% of the time when I run, and I've searched and searched for an answer and all I've been able to find is that there's a million theories about what causes it. Everything I've read says sometimes stretching helps, sometimes it makes it worse. Sometimes it's best to just keep going. I've found that putting my hands in the air and walking a short distance looking like a fool eases the pain. I'm a firm believer in finding your own solution and doing what works best for your body... or asking your doctor if you've absolutely no idea.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Dehydration is a common cause of cramping. Try having a little Gatorade before you run to get your electrolytes in check.

Also would depend on how long you are running? Are you cramping up right away, or say 2-3 miles in?

Common thought is to take fluids every twenty minutes and solids every 40 minutes while exercising. Fluids could be water, juice, gatorade etc... solids is whatever you can eat on the run. When competing, I usually smack back some Gu Chomps, or Energy beans. As a cheap person, when I am not competing, I'll chomp on a granola bar or jelly beans or trail mix.
  • bkassing1
    bkassing1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Run through it. Hydrate.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with Panda, it would be useful to know what kind of cramps you are getting. A lot of cramping is caused by dehydration, try drinking more water leading up to your runs, perhaps a gatorade for some electrolytes.

As for running through the pain, and note that I'm no personal trainer, cramps and aches are generally part of the game and OK to work through, but if you feel any "sharp" pains that is when you should consider calling your workout off.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that was a vague post. Legs, usually starts in the calf and works its way up. Although it often leads to a loss of sensation.

I drink loads, literally 4-6L a day although my thirst is never quenched so I guess it maybe dehydration.

I'm off t the doctor next week, so may bring it up. Just I have a half marathon soon and I don't want it to be wrecked by cramps!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well I will say if you are cramping and you start guzzling some water down while your craming it will get worse, what they make salt tabs for, start cramping pop a salt tab and keep on going should alleviate the cramp
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    unless it's debilitating, i've always been told to keep going, and as you run straighten up as tall you can (stretch out your core, no hunching), tighten your abs and do mindful breathing through it (like yoga breathing).
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    If you drink to much water just before you go running you will get a runner's cramp in your side. I don't know exactly where you are having your cramps. You can run through a runners cramp. If you are having shin splints, that can cause more injury, do not run through them, you need to stretch them out and ice them down and slowly build up to doing more. They caused me lots of problems and took me forever to get over. If you are having them in your feet, better shoes and take a potassium suppliment. A potassium suppliment probably wouldn't hurt anyway.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I shall have a look for salt tablets as they may help solve it.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    Sorry, that was a vague post. Legs, usually starts in the calf and works its way up. Although it often leads to a loss of sensation.

I drink loads, literally 4-6L a day although my thirst is never quenched so I guess it maybe dehydration.

I'm off t the doctor next week, so may bring it up. Just I have a half marathon soon and I don't want it to be wrecked by cramps!

Ah, that is a much better explanation, and I have the same issue on some runs. My left (always left) foot/calf will fall asleep or "cramp." It is an annoyance, but I have never had it be enough of a problem to really consider stopping a workout and it generally goes away after a mile or two.

My guess is that it is just the impact of running that is causing it, pinching a nerve a bit or something. I have had dehydration related cramps before, and these feel nothing like that, and I also feel that I drink a pretty solid amount of water.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Cramps usually are the result of dehydration; drink more water and add some Gatorade H2 light to your diet. Bananas can also help since they have lots of potassium and that can help prevent cramps.
    This