Should you eat after a cardio workout?

Options
I just started an aerobics class, which has definitely helped me with my stamina and energy levels. I heard that after lifting and such, a small protein-rich snack should be eaten to help your muscles. I do experience make soreness after my workout. Should I have a protein snack afterward my class? It seems counter intuitive.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have a snack or a meal after cardio, depending on what time I've worked out. I don't want to use my muscle mass to fuel cardio workouts.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy and/or exercising for over an hour+ then you should have a protein snack to replenish your energy levels.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Should you eat after a cardio workout?"

Yes, eventually. I really don't think timing makes that much of a difference. Have something RIGHT after exercising, if you can handle it, or a meal within the following two or three hours of exercising, would it really make a difference? Keeping within your calorie limits, of course.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The "mandatory" post meal jargon would probably help the most elite athletes and bodybuilding/fitness competitors, but to the average person trying to lose weight, unless it's an actual meal like breakfast/lunch/dinner, it's just extra calories.
    The whole, "you need to have protein" after a workout hasn't been shown to effectively stave off muscle loss, if one is meeting their daily protein macros.
    There's also nothing wrong with having a post workout meal if you like. Just don't think it's going to enhance weight loss or improve your physique because it feels like an obligation based on broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I do. I'm usually not though after runs. Quite often have a protein shake if I've been out longer than an hour though, made with fruit and milk so it's pretty carby too. Just to put some fuel back in the tank.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually only have snack after really vigorous cardio session. If your muscles get sored try eating an apple, or some walnuts within half an hour of finishing your exercise, or drinking magnesium.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't at least have a little something soon after cardio, even if I don't feel particularly hungry, I'll be starving in a couple of hours and eat everything in the house. Like yesimpson, it's usually something like a protein shake or yogurt. I think it's personal, though. If you aren't hungry, you probably don't need to eat.
  • DanaLovesFood
    DanaLovesFood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for replying and for the advice.
  • davidv007
    davidv007 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually do when I have a good run just to replenish my muscles.