What is C5K and how do I do it?

thisismynewmindset
thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I think C5K means "couch to 5 K"... right?

Is there a special program I have to follow if I want to do this?

I am currently trying to train myself how to run/jog. I go on walks as much as I can and have been running/jogging for a couple intervals until I run out of breath then start to walk again. My intervals have become more frequent and longer and I hope to run, non stop, around a park by my work at one point.

Is this sort of what C5K is?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    C25K is a running program, correct. You can get information, as well as the actual program, for free at this site: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started with this program but then decided that I prefer to always run intervals and have no interest in running a 5K without walking. I found an interval app for my Android phone that I can customize each time I run to make the intervals longer or shorter, including a warm up and cool down period. So far, it's working great for me.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    C5K is abbreviation to the running program couch to 5k.
    It is a program that teaches you how to go from sitting on a couch all the time to being able to run 5k.
    I googled the program but as an example first work out would be walk for 90 sec jog for 1 min and alternate that for 20 min.

Not a bad program, I recruited my sister to join me and I have found having a partner helps push me a bit more =)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    That's the one! There's also a phone app which will time the intervals for each session for you.

You're doing exactly the right thing, but C25K will formalise it and give you a timescale on which you can build up to running for 30 minutes continuously.

There's some beginner runner's tips here that you might find useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • KeiKeiStar
    KeiKeiStar Posts: 10 Member
    I don't now what C5K is...but if your goal is fat burning, I would encourage you to continue to do interval runs, just make them progressively more rigorous and difficult. Build to a run/jog interval instead of jog/walk interval. This is because the intervals are more beneficial than continuous run. It leads to more fat burning and is said to even better for cardio. Check out Tabata or HIIT websites.

If its just a goal to do a continuous run bc it something you want to prove to yourself you can do, then I wish you luck. You will be surprised how fast you get there.
  • mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    I LOVE it!! I use the android app (pro version) and am on week 4 now.
    I never thought I'd like running, but I love it!

Once I'm done my daughter and I are going to run a 5k together (she's the one that told me about it), she's on week 7, I believe.

But I HIGHLY recommend it.

I also supplement by doing weight training between days (you only do C25k 3 days out of the week)... so I go to the gym 3 days in between and take Thursdays off.

I'm really seeing some sweet results, too!
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Wow thanks for all the great tips!

I didn't know interval training was better - and I like that idea more! That's actually what I have been doing now... walking for about 2 minutes, then jogging for 1.

I thought I might be doing bad to my body by doing this, being that my heart rate would go up and down. Maybe I will continue!
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    The UK National Health Service link below should explain all you need and give you access to free download podcasts. Hopefully you can access it from a non-UK IP address:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx
This discussion has been closed.