Cake?

Options
Hi All!!! So my bday is this weekend and my kids want to help make me a cake. Are there any healthy and yummy recipes that don't include all that sugar and fat? Thanks!!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had good results in replacing sugar with Splenda (the kind formulated for baking) and fats with applesauce. However, I've never tried doing both of these at the same time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You could go for a cake without icing (like a spice cake or even something like pumpkin or zucchini bread), but personally I really enjoy a small portion of a good tasting cake. Perhaps look into making cupcakes instead of a large cake and make a half recipe if possible? Then you don't have as much around the house, everyone get's one cupcake, and maybe the kids can split the remaining over the next few days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    a google search brings up multiple recipes. No idea what any of them taste like.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cake+recipes+without+sugar
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know a nice slice of cake is probably about 300 calories...can you afford that? Maybe go for a 40 minute walk

That said just google cake and healthy or low calorie
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Angel food cake? Technically, it's cake.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can reduce the fat by using applesauce in place of the butter/oil in the recipe.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    or! you could just have a piece of cake for your birthday. its general knowledge that birthday cake consumed on your birthday contains no calories.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love making angel food cake with a light custard and strawberries.
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    or! you could just have a piece of cake for your birthday. its general knowledge that birthday cake consumed on your birthday contains no calories.

Yep - I'm in agreement.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on pinterest. I haven't had the chance to try it but I want to. http://www.flexibledietinglifestyle.com/highproteinvanillabirthdaycake/
  • Austintito
    Austintito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/haylie-duff/black-bean-chocolate-cake-with-buttercream-frosting.html just the first recipe i googled for it, maybe look around for a black bean chocolate cake. Seems a little odd using black beans but it simulates the texture of cake very well and taste damn good.
  • pmoerman
    pmoerman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pineapple upside down cake might be a good idea if you like pineapple. Most recipes I've seen use a small amount of brown sugar (like 1/4c). All the sweetness comes from the juice of the pineapple. (Use canned pineapple in juice) It might have a good bit of butter (I don't remember, I don't cook a lot), but like a previous poster, you might be able to use applesauce instead.
    Also, the cake has no icing, instead, it has pineapple rings, and a cherry in each one. So it's cake and fruit!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    _Mistah_J wrote: »
    Spierce02 wrote: »
    Are there any healthy and yummy recipes that don't include all that sugar and fat?

No. Anybody who tells you otherwise is crazier than I am.

Agreed.

Just don't use icing. Or make a banana or pumpkin bread, it's close enough, right? And skinnytaste has some lighter recipes that actually taste good (I love her banana nut bread recipe).
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just eat one piece of cake and then I make sure I eat a lot of veggies later and drink a lot of water. It helps wash out the sugar. Also exercising (walking burns the sugar off). :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would totally have cake on my birthday. Cheesecake specifically :p

What I try to do, OP, is create a deficit throughout the week. Eat 100-200 calories less per day. That gives me 500+ calories to fit in my cake. I realize this is a bit late for you at this point, since your birthday is this weekend. But it is something you can consider for next time.

Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »

Yep - I'm in agreement.
    _Mistah_J wrote: »
    And for the record, cake without icing is wrong on so many levels.

Just wash it down with a diet cola. A meal takes the caloric value of its lowest component, but only on birthdays.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried these? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/200184/cola-cake/ Basically, you can mix a can of soda or pop into a box cake mix and it replaces the oil, water, and eggs. There are multitudes of combinations. On another board I'm on lots of people rave about them, but since I don't have a sweet tooth so I've never tried them. Curious, though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pmoerman wrote: »
    Pineapple upside down cake might be a good idea if you like pineapple. Most recipes I've seen use a small amount of brown sugar (like 1/4c). All the sweetness comes from the juice of the pineapple. (Use canned pineapple in juice) It might have a good bit of butter (I don't remember, I don't cook a lot), but like a previous poster, you might be able to use applesauce instead.
    Also, the cake has no icing, instead, it has pineapple rings, and a cherry in each one. So it's cake and fruit!

This^

Buy a Pillsbury sugar free yellow cake mix. Use drained pineapple juice for your water and applesauce for the oil. If you have a bullet type blender you could sub out applesauce for "pineapple sauce. "

Your upside down topping needs melted butter - use a Bundt pan 2 Tbl melted butter & 1/4 cup dark brown sugar. Then use a small can of pineapple rings (cut in half). A larger can will make your cake overflow.

Or you could make a light "sour cream" pineapple coffee cake. That won't need icing either. Yogurt is a nice substitute for sour cream (keeps it moist).

This is a light scratch recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-coffee-cake-455511