Doing something wrong here

Options
Since I started my weight loss journey Oct 1, 2015 I have gained 40 lbs.

I just found MFP so thought I would get my story out there for some advice.

April 1, 2015 I quit smoking after 35+ years and weighed 270 lbs.
Sept 30, 2015 I emptied all junk food out of my house and weighed 300 lbs. Have been diligent in controlling what I eat by sticking with the same thing every day (yes, it gets old, but at least I know what I'm eating)
(restocked my freezer and cupboards with "healthier" foods ... see my food diary)
Oct 1, 2015 started going to the gym 6 days a week (can only use Planet Fitness due to working 16-18 hours daily) using the weight machines (rotating my "target" area daily) and cardio (bike or treadmill) for 30ish minutes.

Weighed in today and am at 342 lbs. I understand gaining a little weight during the initial phases of transition, but is this much common?

Replies

• desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You must not be eating at a deficit. It sounds like you need to reevaluate your intake of calories and perhaps invest in a food scale so you get a more accurate calorie count. It's normal to gain a bit of water weight when you start working out, but that's just a couple pounds, not 42.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Start tracking what and how much you are eating. Even if you cut "junk" foods out, you could still be eating more than you need.
    If you aren't yet, you might want to start weighing out your food portions. This will help you with accuracy when logging your food.

Here's some threads you might want read to help you:
    A Guide To Get You Started On Your Path To Sexypants (if you only read one, at least read this one)

So You Want A Nice Stomach

Logging Accurately..Step by Step Guide
  • LawrenceHaidly
    LawrenceHaidly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your input, but I am very careful of what I have been eating, and the only 3 things that are not "pre-packaged" that I consume are: 1/4 cup Grapenuts (measured). 1 c of carrots (guesstimated) and 8 glasses of water. With the exception of the water, I pack my lunchbox every day and that is all that I consume. My daily intake is around 880 calories (give or take a few from carrots).

I have been to the dr for a physical and checkup to make sure it isn't some sort of medical issue that is causing this as well.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your input, but I am very careful of what I have been eating, and the only 3 things that are not "pre-packaged" that I consume are: 1/4 cup Grapenuts (measured). 1 c of carrots (guesstimated) and 8 glasses of water. With the exception of the water, I pack my lunchbox every day and that is all that I consume. My daily intake is around 880 calories (give or take a few from carrots).

I have been to the dr for a physical and checkup to make sure it isn't some sort of medical issue that is causing this as well.

Wait, are you saying you eat approx. 880 cals per DAY and you weigh 342 lbs.? If so, something is very wrong. How long have only been eating that many calories? Or am I confused?
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is beyond perplexing, we are the same age, doing the same cardio and probably close to weights (actually you are doing 2-3 times more a week than me) I started at 300 pounds and went down 26 in 6 weeks. Admittedly I am eating under my calorie limit. but based on the two entries in your diary and your info in the post you are too. Something is seriously off....I put your calorie deficit at 2500 a day (probably an additional 500 more with the gym work you are doing....that's at least 5 pounds a week you should have lost.
  • desert_mom
    Options
    How long have you been tracking your calories? With only two days in your food diary, its hard to judge.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    You are not being completely honest with your calorie intake. You have to log and measure your caloric intake every single day.
  • LawrenceHaidly
    LawrenceHaidly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have only been "logging" my intake for 2 days, but have been on the same diet since Oct 1. When I started, I didn't know what my intake actually was, but I knew it was under the 2000 "magic number", and have been very strict about what I eat. This included bypassing all holiday parties (to remove temptation) and "snack days" at work, which used to be "graze day" for me.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for body health but, for weight loss, the most important thing is that you eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day.

At your weight, you can retain a lot of water and the amount can vary. How is your salt intake? Once I started keeping my salt under 2400 mg per day, that really cut down on the water retention.

Pre-packaged foods do tend to contain a lot of salt so watch for lower sodium versions. They can also weigh more than they say they weigh. I had a Lean Cuisine a few days ago that had nearly 100 more grams of food (mostly rice) than the package weight said so it had more calories.

Double-check your portion sizes. The package may look like it's a single serving but actually contain more than one serving.

Double-check your MFP database items to make sure they have accurate information compared to the package or USDA info for the food.

Start today with recording everything that has calories into your food diary right before you eat it (or before you leave the house with it) if you can. If you get into the habit of logging before you eat, you can look at the entry and perhaps change your mind about whether or not it fits into your day and if you might want something else instead.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading the links that @shadow2soul mentioned, if you have not done so already.
    Things that helped me when I started:
    Measuring ALL my food in grams with a digital food scale.
    I pre-log some foods so that I can ensure they fit into my calorie goal.
    I greatly increased my water intake.
    I started adding in light exercise (walking) and I am currently just about to start to build in strength training.

Things I have noticed since I started losing weight:
    When a packet of crisps (chips) says 42g it may not be accurate. The same goes for pre-packaged meals. It may say 320g on the box....but what is in the box may be more.
    I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits within my calorie goal (ice cream, chocolate, wine, fries)
    Accurate logging is my friend

The above is a bit of a ramble but in short, consume less calories than your body burns (create a calorie deficit) and you will lose weight. Exercise is just a bonus.
    I have not yet started my strength training or lifting weights so I can't comment on that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    People are suggesting very good things here.

You should try weighing all your food, even prepackaged food, for a while.

1) Remember to include all alcohol.
    2) Don't count weightlifting calories burned for eating.
    3) For other exercise, don't trust the burn rate it gives you on the machine. It's not correct. And even if you punch it into MFP, it's up to double what you burn. So divide it in half.

If you follow the advice of the people above as well as in the stickies for say 4 weeks and your weight is still going significantly up, go see a doctor, pronto!

I see a major red flag. If you think you're eating 900 calories a day... even if those packages are off by 25%, you're still around 1200 calories a day... and to gain 42 in three months would mean you're eating around 1600 calories more per day than you burn through daily life. And let's assume you burn 2000 (you probably burn more though).. then you're looking at over 2600 more calories than you think you're eating. And that's quite a bit... I think you would know where it was coming from.

Just to make sure, are you counting all your fruits and veg? They are not free - they still have lots of calories. I just want to make sure, because that is actually a decently common misconception.

And also keeping in mind to use the right database entries (i.e. are you weighing your meat raw or cooked, pasta and rice, raw or cooked?).

I honestly have to ask... have you tried filming yourself at night? What if you sleep eat?
    It could be your thyroid also. Or something.
  • desert_mom
    Options
    Another thought I had...are you eating back your exercise calories? Perhaps you're overestimating what you've burned. I've found that the machines tend to report a higher calorie burn than I actually have.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I quit tobacco, I went from 142 to 188 lbs. in five months. Why? (1), I adopted the attitude of "Anything to not cave.", so I ate. A lot. Of stuff I hadn't eaten or drunk for years at that point. Whole large pizzas in an evening. Six packs of beer in the same time frame. Cans of macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds commuting. Sitting on the computer interacting with my quit group/forum every spare minute instead of exercising. (2), It's a known fact nicotine upregulates metabolism. Quit, and your metabolism takes a nosedive. For some, at least anecdotally, it also causes their thyroid's activity to nosedive as well.

I am on a fixed food budget. I have been for several years now. I cook 99% of what I eat. As in actually cook vs. from boxes, too. I eat the exact same things for weeks to months at a time.

I still got fat because I refused to weigh all my food and count calories. Since I have, I have lost weight. For the first time since November 2012. In fact, at a faster rate than I did from July 1-December 1 2015 when I was minding portion sizes but doing neither. Like, at double the rate I wanted.

I don't exercise. At all.

Put your insistence to the contrary aside, just for 30 days, and weigh all your food, count all your calories, log them all. Everything. There is no free food or foodstuff. Not even supplements. Try to hit the (reasonable) daily caloric intake you set based on your inputs to the calculator on here more times than you don't in that 30 days. Stay hydrated (i.e., except for the first micturition of the day, all urine produced is pale yellow in color). Also, don't overestimate how many calories you are burning exercising. If anything, underestimate. Eat either none or only half of them back.

And at the end of that 30 days, see where you are at.