Protein

Options
:glasses: ...How can I get more protein in my diet...I'm interested in other foods beside meat...

Replies

• hopevictoria
    Options
    Beans! I love adding black beans to salad or just having them with quesadillas.

-Hope
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    Cottage cheese, string cheese, protein bars
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    Neecie:
    Thank you for asking that... I was just getting ready to post the same question! I'm thinking that besides meats, eggs are a great source but then I'm wondering about cholesterol and all that. Peanut butter is another good source, but then you have to worry about sugar and fat. So, like you, I will be sitting here awaiting the correct answer.
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    That is good to hear... I love black beans.
  • lunatletica
    Options
    Protein shakes!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, protein shakes
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, beans, quinoa, cheese, protein powder, protein bars, and nuts (but can be high in fat).
  • Tcnorman
    Tcnorman Posts: 16
    Options
    Nuts, eggs (egg beaters), pure protein bars.
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    Egg whites
    Beans
    I use Morning Star meat substitutes a lot for dishes that normally use ground beef or sausage - there's something like 10g of Protien per serving in those.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yep...All those are good. I do protein shakes for breakfast. My new fav is 4-8oz of milk (I prefer skim), 3-4 strawberries, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 1 cup spinach (you can't taste the spinach). SOOOO YUMMY!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    chickpeas , beans, lentils!
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    TOFU and other soy products (meat substitutes), Seitan.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just bought some protein powder to mix with a glass of milk. I grab a protein bar occasionally especially when I'm out running errands or am needing to pick up some extra calories!
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms and every color of beans....cottage cheese and beans is a protien whopper!
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and shakes. I use balance bars and unjury shakes. unjury.com has a lot of protein supplement ideas. The chocolate and vanilla shakes mixed with skim milk provide 29 grams of protein and 190 calories. Good luck.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    unflavoured whey protein... add it to your cereal... oatmeal... sprinkle it on a sandwich. Eat the eggs, cholesterol isn't affected by dietary intake as much as they once thought.

If you go with protein shakes and bars make sure you're getting a protein heavy one, I came close to buying a "protein" shake a week or so ago but I looked at the nutritional label.. it would have been better marketed as a meal replacement shake since there were 41 grams of carbs (more than a can of coke of the same size)