Insanity???

Options
I am considering doing insanity, just wondered if anyone else has any experience with it and does it work?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say "work," what do you mean? Do you want to know if it will increase your fitness? Result in weight loss?
  • beppipanks6
    beppipanks6 Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Weightloss and increasing my overall fitness
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weightloss

You'll lose weight through a calorie deficit. The calories burned through cardio exercise can help you create that deficit, but what you eat is going to be much more important than whatever exercise program you do. That said, if you think it looks fun and you'll be motivated to do it, it could be part of a successful weight loss plan.
  • ClimbingZack
    ClimbingZack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh, it works alright. But take heed: it is NOT for the faint of heart or those with flagging commitment issues. I am a veteran of the armed forces, and while I did (and completed) Insanity, it has that name for a reason. Easily harder than any sustained true "boot camp" style workout I ever did in the military.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but be prepared to: 1) Eat a LOT. If you don't, you will bonk, and bonk hard during the workouts. 2) Be extremely sore. 3) Dedicate an hour or more to an intense workout 5+ days a week.

If you've never done a DVD based workout before, I'd suggest Focus T25 as an introduction to Insanity. I still lost 20 lbs on FT25 and think it's way more sustainable than Insanity.

Best of luck!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Zach nails it. It's difficult. It is terrific for overall fitness and strength, but it's tough.
  • beppipanks6
    beppipanks6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, can you still do Insanity along with a 1200 calorie diet or is it best to up the calories in order to complete the workout, I am so determined so I will not give up.
    Thank you for the advice
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, can you still do Insanity along with a 1200 calorie diet or is it best to up the calories in order to complete the workout, I am so determined so I will not give up.
    Thank you for the advice

I think you have to net 1200cal for your weightloss. So whatever calories you burn during your workout, you have to eat those calories on top of the 1200cal.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Oh, it works alright. But take heed: it is NOT for the faint of heart or those with flagging commitment issues. I am a veteran of the armed forces, and while I did (and completed) Insanity, it has that name for a reason. Easily harder than any sustained true "boot camp" style workout I ever did in the military.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but be prepared to: 1) Eat a LOT. If you don't, you will bonk, and bonk hard during the workouts. 2) Be extremely sore. 3) Dedicate an hour or more to an intense workout 5+ days a week.

If you've never done a DVD based workout before, I'd suggest Focus T25 as an introduction to Insanity. I still lost 20 lbs on FT25 and think it's way more sustainable than Insanity.

Best of luck!

100% this ^^^. I've done it, and loved it, but I'm also the kind of person that if I'm not dripping sweat when I'm done with a workout, it's not good enough.

Another thing to add to this ...really listen to Shaun T about how to do the exercises or you could easily get hurt. It's a lot of jumping so it can be very hard on your knees and back. You will definitely get very fit doing it. Best of luck to you!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

All of this. I did T25, then I did Insanity, and then I did Insanity Max 30. I had my lowest resting heart rate while doing Shaun T's intense programs (like low-mid 50s). I loss weight and shed inches, but it really helped me lung and heart out. I was able to do a relay marathon with my coworkers b/c of my work with Insanity.

I've stopped doing it and moved on to pole, but I will still pick up Max 30 or T25 workout if I still want to workout, but don't feel like poling. I gained back a good portion of my weight b/c I stopped making sure I was at a deficit. So you can workout until you are blue in the face, but if you aren't eating at a deficit then weight loss will not happen.

If you're going to do Insanity, you need to eat at least 1600 calories a day. I used to eat 1800 and I still shed and loss, so find a TDEE calculator to help figure out what's good for your stats. Also make sure you're staying hydrated.

Pay attention to form, and if you need to modify moves do so. I never really did too many of the jump tucks b/c my knees aren't the best, so I would alternate rising each knee high waist height so I was still moving, while avoiding a potentially painful injury.

Good luck.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try insanity, but started t25 at 262lbs. How much I eat depends on the day, its in the 1400s on a low activity day, and busy days at work with working out as well, I'm more 1700-1800. I've lost a total of 70lbs and have started another cycle of t25. I hope to one day work up to insanity but at 192lbs I feel like it would be too much jumping.
  • lonragland24
    lonragland24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Insanity is an awesome workout if you have the time. Most workouts are an 45mins to an hour BUT you will burn an insane amount of calories. I'm doing it now and avg between 600-800 calories burnt during a session. Not to mention I usually go do a little strength work after so in total close to 1000 calories a day. YOU must eat enough HEALTHY foods and protein and it will work. Don't waste your workout by eating garbage after.
    It's not for the faint of heart though. You will get tired and think to yourself why am I doing this, but nothing is better then that feeling of pressing stop after you've done it. Just keep coming back the next day and results will happen.
  • orion_81
    orion_81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Insanity works very well but weight loss largely depends on your diet. Also, insanity is about hard work, if you don't push through workouts then you wont see results.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice

DVD based workouts, like Insanity and P90X, are not meant for weight loss. They are meant for building fitness. Trying to maintain a calorie deficit while on these type of workout programs is really not a good idea.

Lose the weight you need to, then start these programs with sufficient calories to build muscle. Expect to gain weight, not lose it.

Just one opinion after three rounds of P90X. (Insanity is still in the box.)
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did it! I didn't lose much weight but I felt stronger and strarted to see definition. I took my time with it......for instance, month one took me more than a month. Please be careful and wear good shoes with lots of support! I partially tore my plantar plate and the collateral ligament in one of my toes. I did love it! It IS TOUGH, but take your time and do it right and push yourself. I also have done P90X3 and loved that too!
  • orion_81
    orion_81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice

DVD based workouts, like Insanity and P90X, are not meant for weight loss. They are meant for building fitness. Trying to maintain a calorie deficit while on these type of workout programs is really not a good idea.

Lose the weight you need to, then start these programs with sufficient calories to build muscle. Expect to gain weight, not lose it.

Just one opinion after three rounds of P90X. (Insanity is still in the box.)

I lost weight with insanity max 30. I even lost weight with a video game everyone ridiculed; UFC Personal Trainer on the Xbox
  • kryss_xoxo
    kryss_xoxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, lost 100 pounds with this program doing it 4 times. Great for me bc I couldn't afford the gym...... also got a free tshirt :)
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did insanity 6 days/week religiously for 4 months and lost 20lbs. But need to stay committed or else that weight will creep back (like it did to me)
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try insanity, but started t25 at 262lbs. How much I eat depends on the day, its in the 1400s on a low activity day, and busy days at work with working out as well, I'm more 1700-1800. I've lost a total of 70lbs and have started another cycle of t25. I hope to one day work up to insanity but at 192lbs I feel like it would be too much jumping.

This is what I was going to suggest.

A lot depends upon your starting fitness, assuming its "not very [fit])" I would suggest trying T25 first. Think of it as more of a beginners routine, and Insanity being somewhat advanced!

I started with Insanity, never finished a workout. I was flat out on my back every session, and it was quite demoroalising. That said I can see its a fantastic workout and will certainly "work" IF you can keep up with it.

I then went onto T25 and loved it, the shorter sessions were perfect for me and I saw good results during my time with this.

I then went and joined a gym, so havent yet revisisted the DVDs, though I may do so over winter.
  • Yemisi1994
    Yemisi1994 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Omg please do insanity! I love it!
    I remember before I started I watched a YouTube review saying u can't be a "beginner" like never done a workout programe before.
    That's such a lie!
    I had hardly done a workout program and rarely went to the gym.
    But I've done it and lost 27lb soo far!! I've recommended it to soo many off my friends.
    Honestly if u can get through the 1st week, you can do it!

I also drank protein world did pole dancing as a hobbie once a week.