Pay day - grocery shopping day - whey protein powder???

Options
Hey...

So I get paid today (woo hoo) and I am going to go after work to the grocery store to get a whole bunch of healthy food!

The last two weeks as I have been browsing MFP I have made a grocery list... one of the items is chocholate whey protein powder to put in my smoothies.

Question: Is this a good idea? Is whey good for me?

I am not a muscular man (I am a fat woman who wants to lean up)... so should I even bother?

Replies

• JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    They say 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. Whey Protein is good, as I have lost weight with it as well. However, I drink mine with water or unsweetened almond milk, never dairy.
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    What is your goal and how many grams of protein are you consuming daily, now?
  • Mshughes2003
    Mshughes2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that the average woman who does not work out needs 50-60 g of protein a day jut so she does not lose her hair or her body eat her muscles, if you are not getting that with the diet you have, then buying it is a good idea.
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    protein is good for everyone, and whey is said to make you feel fuller longer, i drink it after workouts and it keeps me from getting really hungry afterwards, so it cant hurt to try it, it can be costly and some of them taste awful...so try the small size before springing on the big container lol they are great for good calories and fast meals
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for helping recovery and build your muscles. Unless you are working out, I don't suggest using it! I also wouldn't really worry about it if you're getting enough protein in your daily diet.
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like taking whey protein once a day.. Either at the start of the day or after my workouts. It helps me to get to my daily protein limit and has very few calories too.

I like Phd Diet Whey ! I have tasted choc and strawberry flavors so far... I liked them both. I also tried Maximuscle but didnt like them....

http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/45/1/Diet-Whey-1Kg-Pouch.html

Hope this helps !
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to add more lean protein into my diet and whey powder is a very easy way to do just that. If you're trying to do the same, you have nothing to lose by using it.
  • simply_healthy
    Options
    They say 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. Whey Protein is good, as I have lost weight with it as well. However, I drink mine with water or unsweetened almond milk, never dairy.

Are you serious about 1 gram of protein per pound ? I doubt if that is true for someone who is trying to loss weight.... I weigh around 210 lbs... if I consume 210 gms of proteins... we are looking at consuming around 840 calories only through protein.... with 1200 calories per day allowance.... this would come to 70% calories from proteins and only remaining 30% from carbs and fat... This cannot be healthy !

I reckon.. It's 1 gm of protein per kg you weigh for weight loss.....
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    If I may make a recommendation, go online and see which store caries "Amazing meal." It is a protein powder with greens, fruit, veggies, flax, and digestive enzyme's. It taste great and has things most people don't eat when they should. And it comes in chocolate as well as a few other flavors.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options

Are you serious about 1 gram of protein per pound ? I doubt if that is true for someone who is trying to loss weight.... I weigh around 210 lbs... if I consume 210 gms of proteins... we are looking at consuming around 840 calories only through protein.... with 1200 calories per day allowance.... this would come to 70% calories from proteins and only remaining 30% from carbs and fat... This cannot be healthy !

I try and consume about 1 gram for every pound I weigh, and it hasnt hurt my weightloss. If anything, it has helped it.
  • simply_healthy
    Options

I try and consume about 1 gram for every pound I weigh, and it hasnt hurt my weightloss. If anything, it has helped it.

Interesting! I would be keen to know how many calories do you eat and what is your carb, protein and fat split ? Cheers.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    My stomach hurts just reading this. Whey is a dairy derivative, and for me that means painful gas, bloating, headaches and acne. Maybe buy a small amount (not a giant vat) and try a littole bit to make sure it doesn't wreak havoc on you. Blessings.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What is your goal and how many grams of protein are you consuming daily, now?

My goal is to lose another 25 pounds... I currently weigh 174.6 and I want to weigh 150. I am 5'11.5" and I am currently getting about 40 - 60 g of protein a day... is that not enough?