I really have no idea how much I should eat

Options
I am a sahm of 5 kids so most of my day is spent taking care of them. I put my level as sedentary and MFP tells me to eat 1470 calories a day. I use a Bodybugg and my average calorie burn per day is 3,000 although I can range anywhere from 2900-3900. I am just not sure exactly how many calories I should be eating and if I have the correct activity level selected. Some things I read say I need to be closer to 2,000 cals (I weigh 287) but that just seems like too much. I usually eat anywhere from 1200-1600 although I tend to stay closer to the 1470 that MFP recommends.

Replies

• LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Hey, I stay at home with my 5 kids too (ages 10, 8, 6, 3 and 18 mos)!!! I put my activity level at moderate I think and MFP tells me to eat between 15-1600 calories a day. So far I've been losing a little less than 1 lb a week. Exactly what MFP says I should lose. I think it's a little trial and error though. No calorie calculator can be 100% correct
  • amyers35
    amyers35 Posts: 51
    Options
    How active is your day to day lifestyle when youre not working out?
  • manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what is a bodybugg?
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would say never go over 1700. But eat 1500-1700 when you feel like it because you can still lose a lot of weight on a decent amount of calories since you are in a higher weight range right now.
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Also, I don't know if you can possibly be sedentary if you have 5 kids around. Unless they're older and do most things for themselves. I'm curious about the bodybugg too, does that monitor your activity level?
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Since it looks like you have already lost 46 pounds, I would say keep doing what you are doing. As we loose weight, our body needs less calories. My doctor just said do not go under 1200 calories or you will go into starvation mode. I find the yo-yo method works. Keep your body guessing. Change your workout, and change your number of calories eaten often.

You are doing great, keep it up!
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM also and just changed my activity level from lightly active to sedentary. I have hit a plateau for the last month and thought I would give this a try. I was at 1420 calories a day and now it gives me 1280 and I always try to eat back my exercise calories.
  • dreamer4
    dreamer4 Posts: 27
    Options
    A body bug tracks and calculates your calories :
    http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/