swimming question

kriots
kriots Posts: 375 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
:smile: I just started adding swimming to my exercises, and I was looking for some exercise moves to do in the water and I found that swimming does not help with weight loss? i am confused. I understand that after eating you can be hungry, but i'm not over eating, still maintaining 1200 calorie diet...so that would not apply to me? Has anyone here lost weight with adding swimming to their exercises? Keep in mind I am not just swiming, I am doing other activities like the 30DS 6w6p and basic walking. Thanks in advance

Replies

• kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    What..? Swimming doesn't help with weight loss? Never heard that before, where did you hear that?
  • Dont recall ever seeing an overweight swimmer...Im just saying....
  • kriots
    all over the web says swimming is good for those who want to cardio condition, but does not promote weight loss...
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    where did you hear that, swimming is great, no strain on joints and works all your muscles. Swimming is great for weight loss.
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Swimming and walking are my two major cardio activities. Swimming is awesome!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    WUT ARE YOU TALKING AHBOUT/?
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    I'm reading an article right now that says it's good for weight loss, but the skeptics dismiss it because it adds a lot of muscle and "muscle weighs more than fat" (not true btw. muscle is more dense than fat...difference.)
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    I don't get to swim anymore, but I did swim team in HS and I always lost 10-15 lbs the first couple of week of practice. I was always skinniest during swim team and water polo season. So to those who would say it doesn't help with weight loss....they are crazy
  • I suppose it depends what you consider "swimming" -- if you are floating on a lounge then not so much but if you are actually swimming laps or doing water aerobics then you are burning calories.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Let me start by saying I'm not a fitness trainer, so this is just my opinion and what's worked for me.
    I love swimming and it has helped me lose weight in the past. I just swim lap after lap after lap and end up just as winded as if I were on a treadmill running. Are you swimming at a vigorous pace without stopping? I try to treat swimming as I do the treadmill or elliptic machine. I wouldn't jog for a minute then stop. So I don't swim for a minute then stop. You have to make sure to get your heartrate up just as with any other cardio exercise. If you aren't too strong of a swimmer, keep working at it. Add one more non-stop lap each time you swim. (Do 2 non-stop laps next time you swim, 3 the time after that, then 4, ect.) That's how I built my endurance up.

I also use a kickboard and leg pull buoys so work out my arms and legs seperatly. I got them at a local Sports Authority for around $10-$15 each. Might be worth a try.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Have you seen Michael Phelps? LOL. Swimming does not use weight to burn the calories, but every single time you move a muscle, you are burning calories. If that is an activity you enjoy, then you should do it. You can lose weight without exercise, so not sure who posted all that gobbly-gook about swimming not promoting weight loss. If you create a calorie deficit (no matter your approach), you will lose weight. Period.
  • kriots
    I am with ya'll I dont get it! But I just stumble upon it, and was wondering. I like swimming, I go to the Y and I swim laps, do high knees, anything that will keep my heart rate up. So have ya'll seen weight loss by adding swimming to your exercises?? thanks!
  • kriots
    thanks for the info:flowerforyou:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Swimming and aqua aerobics are great exercise! Anyone who says it doesn't help with weight loss is woefully uneducated on exercise science. As for some new things to try in the pool, here's an aqua workout for you. Just right click on the picture and save the file to your computer to see it full size and print it out where you can read it.

aquaxps1.jpg
  • kriots
    Swimming and aqua aerobics are great exercise! Anyone who says it doesn't help with weight loss is woefully uneducated on exercise science. As for some new things to try in the pool, here's an aqua workout for you. Just right click on the picture and save the file to your computer to see it full size and print it out where you can read it.

aquaxps1.jpg

THANK YOU!! this is what i was looking for on the web !!
This discussion has been closed.