Best low calorie sushi??

Options
Can anyone recommend some low calorie sushi?

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Do you like sashimi?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    +1 to sashimi..... I love rolls and nigiri but the rice can quickly add up. I like to get some pieces roll/nigiri and a few selections of sashimi with a salad and a miso or onion soup. Makes the meal more filling and satisfying (otherwise I can throw down a lot of sushi!). I also go with the low-sodium soy to keep the sodium down.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Even if it were 10 calories I would still go over. I eat too much!
  • TrixieBermuda
    TrixieBermuda Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you like sashimi?
    Not really.
  • sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a Wegmans? I know they have skinny sushi rolls, where they use rice paper instead of seaweed & rice. They're something like 120 calories per roll!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    sarab260 wrote: »
    Do you live near a Wegmans? I know they have skinny sushi rolls, where they use rice paper instead of seaweed & rice. They're something like 120 calories per roll!

rice paper sounds much better than nori. The taste of seaweed man, BLAAAAAKKKKKKK!
  • ClimbingZack
    ClimbingZack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is the best. If you must stick with traditional rolls, find a place that will make it with brown instead of white rice. Obviously stay away from mayonnaise based sauces and stick with a staple fish such as tuna or salmon for maximum protein and omega-3's.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Sashimi is the best. If you must stick with traditional rolls, find a place that will make it with brown instead of white rice. Obviously stay away from mayonnaise based sauces and stick with a staple fish such as tuna or salmon for maximum protein and omega-3's.

But, but, but....the sauces make it taste better. I can't have sushi without sauce. Axe that, I'll leave the sushi and eat the sauce.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Beer and shrimp sauce...sounds like a good dinner idea :lol:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you like sashimi?

+1
    sashimi all the way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Spicy tuna rolls, regular tuna or salmon rolls, yellow tail rolls. Anything that is mostly plain fish, plus the seaweed and rice.

Any thing with tempura, "California", or cream cheese is going to be slightly higher.
  • ClimbingZack
    Options

Why brown rice? Nutritionally, it's the same.

Slightly lower caloric content (if you're skimping on calories) and better Glycemix Index rating than white rice. It's negligible and shouldn't be a no-compromise IMO, but if brown is available, I'm going to take it. Plus I like the taste of it better than white. :smile:

• ClimbingZack
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

But, but, but....the sauces make it taste better. I can't have sushi without sauce. Axe that, I'll leave the sushi and eat the sauce.

:p I agree that the sauce is amazing! That's why I try to opt for nigiri or sashimi...if the sushi is legit, the flavor will be great and maybe add a bit of wasabi and light dip of soy sauce. NOM.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Even if it were 10 calories I would still go over. I eat too much!

Amen. I just account for the calories that day or the next, or add exercise. But I enjoy a big plate of sushi.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    kappa maki.....cucumber, rice and seaweed. Can't imagine it being high in calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi...
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Now I want poke. It's like all the best things about sushi in a bowl.