IIFYM vs Paleo

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My cooking is pretty much what would classify as paleo. why? why not? whole foods, good meat cuts, pretty and sweet fruit. Whats not to like about this died.

Personally, I neither like nor dislike it, but I choose not to follow it, because dairy, legumes, and some grains are IMO a perfectly good part of a healthful diet, and I see no benefit from cutting them out.
    And I ditto the "cant get enough calories" thought. How can you not?

People often can't at first if they cut out something (or multiple things) which were big calorie sources for them. Usually they adjust. Anyway, I agree, it doesn't seem hard to me to get plenty of calories doing paleo, and most of the people I know doing paleo aren't losing (or particularly trying to, for that matter).
  • rachelthropology
    rachelthropology Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    I did paleo for awhile, felt pretty good on it. Stopped doing it, still felt pretty good. For me, sticking to paleo allowed me to eat until I was full for each meal and end up right about where I wanted for my daily calorie allowance. That was nice.

Stopped doing paleo, gotta watch my calories a little closer. I can really inhale carbs if I don't measure stuff out.

As far as paleo's "historical" justification, it's irrelevant. Folks feel better on it either because a) they were eating like garbage before or b) they legitimately had issues with certain foodstuffs that were then cut out. One thing it did get right is to stop stressing about dietary fat. If other styles of eating aren't working for someone, paleo is worth trying.

Preach it on that dietary fat point. Really not sure if carbs or fats are my favorite macro?!
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't understand the whole "not getting enough calories" bit -- Paleo is meat, veggies and fruit.

Exactly. Sauteeing vegetables in olive oil alongside gorgeous cuts of meat and finishing meals off with fruit and roasted, salted nuts? And can't get enough calories?

The problem was that with my hectic lifestyle, I prioritized being a student and my research and work and so on over taking time/effort out of my day to cook up something with enough calories so I would end up not eating enough throughout the day and be left with ~1000 calories left at the end of the night. Plus, given how fussy of an eater I am, I would struggle to find things I would want to eat and thus often just go without eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My cooking is pretty much what would classify as paleo. why? why not? whole foods, good meat cuts, pretty and sweet fruit. Whats not to like about this died. And I ditto the "cant get enough calories" thought. How can you not?

I don't personally see anything wrong with legumes, dairy, or grains which are all vilified in the Paleo approach. Also, the folks that I know who do Paleo don't eat much in the way of fruit except some berries. My BIL eats Paleo and he eats an enormous amount of meat.
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

THIS BLOG POST IS EVERYTHING I HAVE EXPERIENCED much more comically captured and it is hilarious, thank you so so so sooo much for sharing this and providing me with a good laugh :)
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My cooking is pretty much what would classify as paleo. why? why not? whole foods, good meat cuts, pretty and sweet fruit. Whats not to like about this died. And I ditto the "cant get enough calories" thought. How can you not?

I don't personally see anything wrong with legumes, dairy, or grains which are all vilified in the Paleo approach. Also, the folks that I know who do Paleo don't eat much in the way of fruit except some berries. My BIL eats Paleo and he eats an enormous amount of meat.

Ah yeah, I failed to mention I'm not a huge meat eater mostly because preparing meat is an art form I have yet to master.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I can't stop laughing!!! The comments are funny too!
  • rachelthropology
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

I've been reading more blog posts of hers and they're equally hilarious.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

I've been reading more blog posts of hers and they're equally hilarious.

Me too! :D
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like any "diets" that cut entire food groups out or make anything completely off limits. I won't stick to it and I'll be worse off than before. Now I do make some great recipes that are Paleo approved and I do like to limit too many grains and dairy but I will never cut them out forever.